Regular Bourbon County Stout 2015 Infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abecall98

Reaction score
So, I am hearing rumblings along the facebooks and the other site about a possible infection to the regular bourbon county stout as well. I've also heard about the Proprietors 2015 going south.

It seems most the bottles people have been posting have been the October 21st, 2015 bottling date with a 14.3% abv.

I have a case of bottles from an earlier with a 13.7%, and they have been fine so far.

If anybody has any reports on good or bad bottles, let's hear them dudes. Hopefully this issue is a very small batch, and mostly isolated to Florida.

Just opened a bottle yesterday from an unopened case of mine. (13.7%) and thankfully it was fine

the other site

misfits.gif

So, I am hearing rumblings along the facebooks and the other site about a possible infection to the regular bourbon county stout as well. I've also heard about the Proprietors 2015 going south.

It seems most the bottles people have been posting have been the October 21st, 2015 bottling date with a 14.3% abv.

I have a case of bottles from an earlier with a 13.7%, and they have been fine so far.

If anybody has any reports on good or bad bottles, let's hear them dudes. Hopefully this issue is a very small batch, and mostly isolated to Florida.

Has there been any microbial analysis or just a bunch of twats claiming infection.... That seems to happen constantly these days with no substantiation.

Has there been any microbial analysis or just a bunch of twats claiming infection.... That seems to happen constantly these days with no substantiation.

Not that I know of, I just opened this up to see some discussion on the topic. I have just seen a lot of comments from different sources specifically about the October 21st bottling, and wanted to see if anybody else on here has had similar experiences with that bottling date or issues with any other date.

I like talking on here best compared to the other places.

One claimed infection due to it being overcarbed and tart, the next post said definitely infected because there was no carb and metallic, so yes, infection, definitely #science

I wish I owned a business with as much brand loyalty as Bourbon County. Their sales will still increase this year, even after all this talk.

Well, I mean, it the only beer like it... The only beer. Never mind those other 10 imperial stouts that sit on the shelves even in places like Louisiana.

Yes, even the bbl aged ones that are cheaper and taste better... Because those weren't made by InBev?

Wizardofozhidingbehindcurtain.gif

The problem might be coming from Florida?

Only logical solution is this:

giphy.gif

Where is mexico on that map?

I guess trump must have erased it from existence
Let me tell you how this UUUUUUUUGE wall I am going to build is magic. Did I tell you how magic this wall is? The really UUUUUUUUGE wall. I know about magic walls. I know everything. Well let me tell you how magic this wall is. Its really UUUUUUUUGE. This UUUUUUUUGE all I am going to have built. And guess what? I am going to have Mexico pay to build this magic wall. This magic wall, do you know what is it does. Scientists designed this magic wall. I know scientists. I know very famous scientists. This wall that Mexico will pay for, let me tell you we let other countries walk all over us. We are getting killed on trade. I know business. I am a very successful business man. I am the best at business. I am a builder, I am going at making things happen. I will make America great again. But no more of these brown people. They're every where. America will be great again, I will make America great again. I see the future, when my gorgeous daughter Ivanka is Queen of America, when America is really great. Ivanka is very sexually attractive, don't you think. I can't tell you how often I really wish she wasn't my daughter. Sexually I mean. This America I see is a really really great America where all the people are rich and have blonde hair and blue eyes and I will be Supreme Emperor! Well this UUUUUUUUge wall, the magic one that some of my scientists friends built, let me tell you what it does. It is very complicated, but I understand it, you probably wouldn't understand it anyways. Jeb wouldn't understand it. Jeb is a big fat doodyhead. I am a scientist. You wouldn't believe how much I know. I am smart. Really smart. Much smarter than you. This UUUUUUUge magic wall, which I am going to get Mexico to pay for because I know business. I am an extremely good business man. The best. Truly. This wall makes everything behind it disappear.

No one here will believe me because I'm a twat from Florida, but my friend opened a October 21 bottle on Wednesday and it was metallic, tart, overcarbed, and generally undrinkable. I opened my bottle from September right after and it tasted delicious.

Feel free to tell me that I'm wrong.

Oh you may be right, but it may be spotty as I'm sure a batch that size would still be massive and could have some variation.

And at first I thought mine tasted slightly off, but it was in my head. It certainly wasn't a definitive taste difference for me.

Oh you may be right, but it may be spotty as I'm sure a batch that size would still be massive and could have some variation.
You're right that not necessarily all bottles with that date are necessarily bad. A couple people here have said their October 21 bottles were fine, and I believe them because the off flavors in the one I tried were way too bad not to notice.

And at first I thought mine tasted slightly off, but it was in my head. It certainly wasn't a definitive taste difference for me.

Same happened for me a few nights ago. It was fine, but similar to opening fresh 2014 when I was used to '13, it wasn't fully what I'm used to for BCBS, but by the end of the bottle I wasn't complaining. None ended up in the drain...

Put a 10/16/15 bottle in the fridge, will report back later for science.

I thought this years Huna tasted a little tart and slightly metallic. ****ing Florida.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but the one bottle I opened so far had a distinct hit of acetaldehyde (green apple) off-flavor. Hoping it's just young and that will fade with some time. It did get better as it sat out and warmed up.

Put a 10/16/15 bottle in the fridge, will report back later for science.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but the one bottle I opened so far had a distinct hit of acetaldehyde (green apple) off-flavor. Hoping it's just young and that will fade with some time. It did get better as it sat out and warmed up.
I was only partially joking. It was the last bottle we opened that night and we opened it side by side (for some stupid reason) with one of the BA Xocoveza variants so there's a strong chance my palate was wrecked by then.

However I do recall a strange tart almost lactic taste to it. Not at all what I remember Huna being from years past.

Back