Road Trippin through Montreal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DmouthCaliBrewz

Reaction score
double lives in Orange County, CA // Hanover, NH
Hi Québécois friends......obligatory help me find loonz post (**** me right?) .......is this a thing?

My buddy is going to be road tripping from Detroit up to Montreal (then back down to Hanover NH by way of Hill Farmstead) at the end of August, and wanted to know if there will be any likelihood of seeing Cantillon or 3F on shelves, both in Montreal, and along the way.

Any recommendations as to where one might find sum loonz or other goodies would be much appreciated!

Also.....odds on Fou being available round then?

route_zpse0f76c7e.png

No Loons or 3F on shelves anywhere in Ontario. Your bud will be on that stretch for about 10 hrs of pure boredom/hell.
As for Loons that can be drank in bars.... there are a couple spots in downtown Toronto. However, unless he plans on staying the night there (which can get expensive) traffic in and out of the city proper make it completely not worth it.
As for what may exist on the shelves in Quebec I will let one of the residents chime in.
Cheers!

Brett, look up tom10101. See if he's around to meet up for a drink or 10. Great host!

Also hit the SAQ stores for Iced Cider especially LaTache. Mind glowingly good stuff.

Other canadians will chime in but I've been told again and again that Quebec isn't bursting at the seams with Lambic. It's not shelf turds as some people make it out to be.

There's no lambics on the shelves anywhere in Québec. All the lambics we receive come from private order through the alcohol state monopoly (SAQ) and it never hit the shelves. So, if you want lambics in Québec, you have 2 options: 1) Drink it in a bar, 2) make a trade.

What you can't miss while in Québec is Ice Cider, especially the trio from La Face Cachée de la Pomme (Neige, Neige Réserve and Neige Récolte d'Hiver). They are available in some of the SAQ store (it's the same price in every SAQ store everywhere in Québec), you can look on their website to find where it's available: www.saq.com

If you need some more info on places (bars / beer stores, etc.) to visit or if you need help to find a Cantillon/lambic trader, let me know. It's unlikely that I will be in Montréal at that time, but if I can I'm always interested to share a beer or two. If your friend decide to visit Québec City too, he his welcome to stop at my place (my house is located between Québec and Montréal) to share a couple of beers.

Cheers,

Tommy

Mehhh that's grim. Regardless, thanks for the info. So are shelf loons just a BC thing?

Even that's becoming an over-exaggeration here. As soon as Fou Foune/LP/St. Lam/Vigneronne hit the shelves last January and February they were sold out. You pretty much had to get to the couple of stores that received them as they received them. Yeah, you can find Classic Gueuze, Rose, and Kriek more easily than most places in the States but it's still not a year round shelf whale and you'd probably have to luck into it right now. I don't think Adam (the importer in BC) has received any more since those shipments back in Jan/Feb.

There's no lambics on the shelves anywhere in Québec. All the lambics we receive come from private order through the alcohol state monopoly (SAQ) and it never hit the shelves. So, if you want lambics in Québec, you have 2 options: 1) Drink it in a bar, 2) make a trade.

What you can't miss while in Québec is Ice Cider, especially the trio from La Face Cachée de la Pomme (Neige, Neige Réserve and Neige Récolte d'Hiver). They are available in some of the SAQ store (it's the same price in every SAQ store everywhere in Québec), you can look on their website to find where it's available: www.saq.com

If you need some more info on places (bars / beer stores, etc.) to visit or if you need help to find a Cantillon/lambic trader, let me know. It's unlikely that I will be in Montréal at that time, but if I can I'm always interested to share a beer or two. If your friend decide to visit Québec City too, he his welcome to stop at my place (my house is located between Québec and Montréal) to share a couple of beers.
Cheers,
Tommy

Ahhhh bummer its not as plentiful, oh well. The invite is much appreciated (on behalf of my friend, anyway.....I'm not making the trip). I will definitely mention your offer to dartbeer

Even that's becoming an over-exaggeration here. As soon as Fou Foune/LP/St. Lam/Vigneronne hit the shelves last January and February they were sold out. You pretty much had to get to the couple of stores that received them as they received them. Yeah, you can find Classic Gueuze, Rose, and Kriek more easily than most places in the States but it's still not a year round shelf whale and you'd probably have to luck into it right now. I don't think Adam (the importer in BC) has received any more since those shipments back in Jan/Feb.
:oops:

Hey yall! Seems I'm late to the thread about my own trip...

Thanks for the info -- unfortunately as I'm driving through with my sister I don't think I'll be making any stops for bottle shares. I would never hear the end of it. As far as trades go, I'd be happy to make a quick one if anyone is ISO Jester King brews, but most of my beer is in Hanover (my final destination)

Bummer that there won't be any loons to be had, but I'm excited to try ice cider. Any recommendations other than la face cachee? That seems to be what everyone recommends

Its the best ice cider in the world. Why would we want you to suffer anything worse :)

In Ontario, you should really try to trade for Archibald Orchard Spiced Winter Apple. That's incredibly good... exactly like an apple crisp.

In Québec, there's a bunch of good Ice Ciders but La Face Cachée is a step ahead. If you are to buy only one, go with the Récolte d'Hiver. That one is made by cryoextraction (frozen apple) instead of cryoconcentation (frozen apple juice). It's 50$/375 ml, but it's worth every penny and your only regret will be that you didn't buy more than one bottle.

Other producers that make really good Ice Ciders include Domaine Pinnacle (the Signature Réserve Spéciale age gracefully), Clos Saragnat, Domaine Lafrance, Petit & Fils, Clos St-Denis and some others. If you want to try something different, you can go with Antolino Brongo Cryomalus.

Back