Rockford Brewing Company IL v Rockford Brewing Company MI - gettin' litigious.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dylansaves

Reaction score
http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2014/01/rockford_brewing_lawsuit.html

Seeing more and more stuff like this in the craft beer community lately. Seems like the MI Rockford had the name cleared for use in 2011 by their legal advisors and IL Rockford is a relatively new business, despite opening in a building that was a brewery historically and the company also named Rockford Brewing Company. They seem to be trying to use their building's history as some legal basis for claiming the name which I think is pretty silly...

"In the court filing, the Illinois brewery claims its naming rights trace back to 1849, when a pioneer named John Peacock opened a Rockford Brewery on the shore of the Rock River in Rockford, Ill. The company includes old Prohibition-era beer advertisements as exhibits in its filing in support of its claim, although the new brewery and restaurant did not open its doors until late 2013."

Never been to either of these establishments but was interested in this weird little border war in my backyard. IL Rockford appears to be in the wrong and the "bully" here but I guess I'll wait 'til their side comes out...thoughts?

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2014/01/rockford_brewing_lawsuit.html

Seeing more and more stuff like this in the craft beer community lately. Seems like the MI Rockford had the name cleared for use in 2011 by their legal advisors and IL Rockford is a relatively new business, despite opening in a building that was a brewery historically and the company also named Rockford Brewing Company. They seem to be trying to use their building's history as some legal basis for claiming the name which I think is pretty silly...

"In the court filing, the Illinois brewery claims its naming rights trace back to 1849, when a pioneer named John Peacock opened a Rockford Brewery on the shore of the Rock River in Rockford, Ill. The company includes old Prohibition-era beer advertisements as exhibits in its filing in support of its claim, although the new brewery and restaurant did not open its doors until late 2013."

Never been to either of these establishments but was interested in this weird little border war in my backyard. IL Rockford appears to be in the wrong and the "bully" here but I guess I'll wait 'til their side comes out...thoughts?

Answer = a brew-off...Whoever makes the best beer, wins.

Back