rolling rap music discussion thread

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by grandmeaulnes, Apr 5, 2014.

1. grandmeaulnes

grandmeaulnes

because bramsdell are derailing the ddb ama. and just because.

my favorite drops of 2014 so far:

•isaiah rashad "cilvia demo"

•freddie gibbs & madlib "pinata"

•kevin gates "by any means"

•paranom and purpose "life outside the frame"

•young thug and bloody jay "black portland"

eagerly awaiting the future album and a 2014 starlito tape (seemingly to be titled "black sheep dont grin")

2. JoeLikesBeer

JoeLikesBeer

I luv rap music

theonetheycalljosh likes this.
  3. bramsdell

bramsdell

I dig the list. I only have a minute now, but I'd be down to discuss Oxymoron and TDE more. They're without a doubt the most interesting collective for me right now. Crazy amount of talent and impressively daring.

To add to your list, my favorite track so far this year:

I will say that I'm a huuuuuuge Killa fan.

Also, my feels are sooo excite at the activity of Jay Electronica so far this year. I'm trying to keep any expectations low, but this is getting me all hot and bothered:

Not to mention:

My guilty pleasure is Future. He makes some of my favorite and least favorite music these days. I'm very much looking forward to what will come out of his album, I'm just not sure I'll like it (or that I'll like that I like it).

4. grandmeaulnes

grandmeaulnes

no need for this to be guilty at all. future is fantastic. i still listen to pluto and astronaut status regularly.

5. grandmeaulnes

grandmeaulnes

im really into this track right now. the beat is absurd.

mrk_d, TomTwanks and Beerontwowheels like this.
  6. bathroomlaughter

bathroomlaughter

7. bathroomlaughter

bathroomlaughter

8. bathroomlaughter

bathroomlaughter

9. bramsdell

bramsdell

I care. I care a lot. He's probably the best lyricist out there right now. Plus, he's dropped a couple of tracks so far this year.

Can he save the game? I don't know. But between him and Kendrick, there could be a whole lot more people who care about lyrical hip-hop. Lyrical might not be a word thrown at nerds like MF Doom anymore (not that I don't like Doom).

10. grandmeaulnes

grandmeaulnes

where are you quoting that from

cry me likes this.
  11. grandmeaulnes

grandmeaulnes

re: "lyrical" rap theres still tons of people into this stuff and the scene still turns out good releases, if semi-rarely. i lived in cincinnati during the scribble jam era so i was pretty into a lot of "underground" hiphop in the late 90s/early 00s when it was legitimately pretty exciting (the peak years of def jux, weightless, rhymesayers, etc).

while its totally true that rap of this type experienced a sharp dropoff in terms of quality and listenership, there are still good albums coming out. much to my surprise, for example, the last aesop rock album is actually pretty great. theres also a bit of spillover/influence in terms of more viable/popular rap (TDE, pro era, etc). check out the paranom and purpose track in OP and heres some other "lyrical/underground rap" or w/e you wanna call it that is recent and quality.

but yeah there is surely still an interest in potent lyrics, broadly speaking.

12. TripleSixHoppia

TripleSixHoppia

There is a lot of "just wait for ______ to drop." I get tired of it. Just like lil wayne was going to drop Cater 4 and it was going to be old wayne and save the day. Now dudes are like just wait for Carter 16.

13. TripleSixHoppia

TripleSixHoppia

Future is the shit.

PurityControl88 likes this.
  14. cry me

cry me

new fat trel tape is pretty good, i didn't realize he's on mmg now. cant wait for him to fall into obscurity on that roster like pill did

15. grandmeaulnes

grandmeaulnes

2chainz is one of those dudes where i love his guest spots generally but cannot get into the full lengths. might have to do with beat selection or something. his solo albums feel bloated and overwrought to me.

16. cry me

cry me

i didn't really ride for his first one but the more recent one has some bangers. you're definitely on point about it being bloated, though you can say that about a lot of rap records these days

grandmeaulnes likes this.
  17. grandmeaulnes

grandmeaulnes

i actually feel like its trending towards this not being the case. quite a few rappers favor relative concision these days, sometimes actually to their detriment (see curren$y's string of incredibly truncated releases). q's "oxymoron" feels really bloated to me which is one of the problems i have with it.

and yeah boats ii is certainly better than the debut.

18. cry me

cry me

I guess it's more of a mixtape thing, I'm seeing a number of 1+ hr tapes these days.

At least its not like it was near the millennium when every rap album had about 20 minutes of useless skits.

PurityControl88 and bramsdell like this.
  19. grandmeaulnes

grandmeaulnes

here's a link to a starlito primer mix i made. lito is easily my favorite rapper (and thats him in my av).

mrk_d and bramsdell like this.
  20. bramsdell

bramsdell

This is what I'm saying, though. There will always be a good following of rap heads who listen to Aesop Rock, MF Doom, Brother Ali, Dibbs, Blueprint, etc., but it's so much more impressive if we could have some of the rap stars be geniuses. You mention Pro Era, and no one can talk about Pro Era w/o mentioning the 90's, but you know what the 90's did really, really well? Seriously lyrical cats were selling thousands of records. Shit, B.I.G. was the biggest rapper in the game and the best rapper alive, if not the greatest ever to do it. Nas, Pac, Snoop, Mobb Deep, they were all killing it.

Even after that wave, there was still Hov and even DMX. Not to mention Cam, who was huge and is capable of being a better rapper than just about anyone on Rhymesayers.

I'm talking about the Roc having the most brilliant mind out there on deck. That's why Jay Elec's album is so important.

I'm talking about good kid, mAAd city being a wildly dense concept album that shifts through time and characters...and still went platinum and put TDE at the top.

Though I'm much of a fan (but have mad respect for the pen) of Earl Sweatshirt, that kid sold pretty well all through intricate rhymes and lyricism.

I have a place in my heart for hardcore word-salad nerd rappers, but I so much more appreciate when our rap stars are as good or better than those dudes. It doesn't happen often, but that's why Jay Electronica gets me so excited.

I don't disagree with the "Just wait" mentality. If it weren't for the two tracks in the last couple of weeks plus the number of guest spots he had last year, I wouldn't even give it mind. I'm not holding my breath, but at least there's a glimmer of hope now.

Oh, and I don't think anyone expected The Carter 4 to be any good. The two best songs (Andre interlude and the Outro) didn't have have Wayne on them. Dude's been on the downslope since C3 at least, if not before that.