rose de gambrinus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6mo to a year since bottling is a good range for me. I like the raspberry character with a bit of developed sour and funk. RdG gets much more sour as it ages, and will lose its beautiful hue to a browner one.

I had a 375ml, 2012 bottle (2011 cork) back in July and I thought the fruit was still very prominent, but oh so very sour and funky. It was great. Drink it now.

i have one of these. it looks like now might be a good time to open it. i'm guessing it may be an '11....

About a year and a half ago, we shared a 2001 that was really fantastic. I was expecting a sour bomb but it was really not that acidic. Rapberries were still surpisingly there, yes it was a bit more acidic than the fresh one we opened along this one but nothing too agressive. I guess it depends from batch to batch and from the cellering conditions, but i believe some fruited lambics can hold on pretty well. Not saying they should be aged, but a couple of years on some can turn them to something really interesting.

Had a 2007 last year and it was a strong candidate for the sourest beer I've ever had.

The raspberries hadn't vanished but they were struggling to be heard above the acidity throng.

I should clarify that I thoroughly enjoyed it.

i drank mine. it was actually a 2010. it was pretty acidic. i still enjoyed it, but it was too much for the missus.

We opened a 2012 (cork date) last week and it was a disgusting vegetal mess. Like broccoli and spinach vegetal.

I've never tasted anything so bad from Cantillon before. I have a few more bottles from the same cork date. Will report back with findings soon.

2014 (I assume) RdG at HF Zwanze was delicious,

#DatVigDoe

Beautiful beer

15311438841_285ae33747_b_d.jpg

this one doesn't have as much of a sweet spot as it does a dead zone.

We opened a 2003, 2006, and 2012 (I think I got those right) a while ago. The 2012 and the 2003 were both spectacular for completely different reasons - the 2006 if I recall was middling. Almost no fruit left in the 2003 but it was devastatingly puckering (I liked it a lot).

Look at the color difference on this - 2003 vs 2012.

b8mk9j.jpg

i just opened my 2011. color is still beautiful. it's developed a nice funk on the nose. still very fruity and not that acidic. it tastes pretty close to it did fresh with a bit more funk.

I used to be in the camp of 'drink framboise relatively fresh', as I've had bottles just a few years old that I found too sour, but the '95 RdG I had a few days ago is probably the best of the style I've ever had. Acidic for sure, but not bitingly so, and with a wonderful and very present raspberry candy-like finish. Layered, complex, and just about perfect.

image.jpg

Back