Other Booze Rum

Discussion in 'Whiskey, Wine & Other Booze' started by peepmachine, Apr 29, 2016.

1. peepmachine

peepmachine

Was wondering if there are any rum peeps in here? I got me some Angostura 1919 and 1824 while in St. Thomas. Dang I love that 1824!! Whats your thoughts? It may be a little lower brow than scotch or bourbon but let me say there are some very fine rums to be had!

2. RedCoffee

RedCoffee

I want to get into rum, as Captain Morgan was my first love in the world of spirits. Yet I'm not sure I'm ready to shell out $50+/750mL for my first foray into "good" rum.

I'm thinking more like $30/750mL. I see a lot of stuff at my local joint in that range that lists ages, "single barrel"-ness, etc. but I have no idea on brands. Any good buys that people know of in that range? Any markers of good quality?

FTowne likes this.
  3. FTowne

FTowne

Appleton Estate 12 Year is about $30 per 750ml.

sacrelicio, RedCoffee and fosterjm like this.
  4. bum732

bum732

I love trying different rums in cocktails, including tiki drinks. Sipping rum is fine, but I find usually lacks the depth of bourbon or scotch. That being said, hard to beat Zacapa 23 or Zacape XO for sipping. Very rich, viscous and slightly sweet. Something like Mount Gay Extra Old is solid, a drier rum overall. The older Appleton rums have a lot of great flavor. Any Demerara rum or Rhum Agricole will have interesting smokey and grassy flavors, respectively.

5. fosterjm

fosterjm

I got a bottle of Appleton 21 at the duty free on the way home. Was super excited. However. The 12 is better.

Cheers!

Juice and FTowne like this.
  6. DWhite

DWhite

Appleton 12 - jamaican rum
    El Dorado 12 - demerara rum
    Barbancourt 5 star (8 y/o) - aged rhum agricole
    Mount Gay XO / RL Seale 10 - barbados rum

Heres a few recommendations for a few of the rum types. These are some of the best rums you can buy for the price IMO. Rum is a very deceptive market right now and a lot of the high end rums are essentially rum liqueurs. Misleading age statements and unlabeled additives are commonplace. Good and even great rum should not be an expensive purchase, if you stick with the classic and original rum producers you will be rewarded.

Also another recommendation if you will be making cocktails frequently is Smith & Cross. Extremely funky and potent, a very unique jamaican pot still lightly aged rum. Mixing it into a kingston negroni is a great cocktail. I've been going half and half appleton 12 and S&C for possibly the best mai tai combo I make.

Frank, FTowne, pkeigan and 2 others like this.
  7. AndresR

AndresR

flabbyjandro likes this.
  8. RedCoffee

RedCoffee

Well sheeit! If that isn't a unanimous rec I don't know what is. Found a bottle of 12.

Verdict is:
    [​IMG]

Can confirm. Much yum.

9. CheapBeerBuzz

CheapBeerBuzz

AndresR likes this.
  10. sherm1016

sherm1016

Had a glass of Plantation 20th Anniversary Extra Old last night. Might need to seek out a bottle.

[​IMG]

xpimptastikx and FTowne like this.
  11. yancheng90

yancheng90

[​IMG] Anyone into Caroni rums?

12. BulkCarrier

BulkCarrier

[​IMG]
    Got to try this recently in some eggnog!

[​IMG]