Saison recipe critique / insight / criticism / opinions / etc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomTwanks1

Reaction score
This will be an all grain setup. Aiming to get something tart and funky (bam biere/arctic saison like).

90 minute boil
70% efficiency, full boil.

Grain Bill
8# pilsner
1# vienna
1# flaked wheat

Hops
90 minute - 0.5 oz Nelson Sauvin

Will be boiling for 90 minutes due to the pilsner malt. Questions for all of you experienced in the saison/funk game...
1) preferred yeast? My plan is to use Wyeast 3711 French Saison and also pitch dregs from some sour beer ill be enjoying that day ( HF stuff, CS, etc). Was planning on adding all at the same time.

2) Age in primary on lees? Heard this gave a more rustic, earthy taste so this was initially my plan.

3) Oak cubes - planned on boiling them to remove harshness to them. Possibly soak in some white wine. When and how long to age on? Add before pellicle?

4) possible small dry hop. When??

5) Opinions on my grain bill!

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

1) Don't have any personal experience with 3711 + brett/bacteria, but given 3711's reputation for chewing threw pretty much everything in short order, it might not leave as much behind for the critters to work on as some other strains.

2/3) If this was me, I'd probably leave in primary for 3-4 weeks, and then rack into secondary and add the oak. From there, leave it on the oak to taste.

4) If you're going to dry hop (and I think Nelson could work will as a dry hop for a beer like this), I'd do it right before you package the beer. Also, I can't help but feel the Nelson is being somewhat wasted as the bittering hop here. Take it and make it a late/dry hop addition to this or another beer.

5) Grain bill looks good. The wheat and vienna should provide just enough body/malt backbone to stand up to everything else going on.

I should have clarified the hop addition. Just wanted to bitter to the mid 20s. Figured if add 1/2 of Nelson to bitter and the other 1/2 oz at flameout.

that would actually put you in the mid 30's. boiling (90mins) .5oz of nelson puts you @ 19-21 IBUs

EDIT: i would just do a 60min boil and mash high...maybe between 154-156 if you want some complex sugars.

Last edited:
If you want something like bam, use the can you brew it bam clone grain bill. More ingredients than what I usualy use for a saison, but I've brewed it several times and it's damn good.

1) 3711 is gross. It should never be used for anything. The attenuation isn't a factor, brett can do plenty without dropping the gravity any. 3726 is hands down the best commercial saison strain. If HF doesn't use 3726, it's something very similar also cultured from Blaugies. No, I don't have a source for that info, but I'd bet dollars to donuts on it. I've never been that happy pitching dregs along with the primary yeast. I prefer to add in secondary or at bottling if the beer is dry enough. Adding JP dregs to an entirely fermented saison (or adjusting the priming sugar if it's still got a few points) at bottling is money. I don't have any experience with HF dregs. CS dregs tend to make an agressively acidic beer.

2) If aging on yeast contributes any flavors, they will be bad. If you've ever had a beer that tasted like wet cat food or spoiled meat, that's autolysis. I don't know where the idea that mixed ferment beers can't develop autolysis off flavors came from, but it's not true.

3) Depends. What kind of oak and what toast? What OG are you expecting? Assuming you are making 5.5 gallons at 1.047, I'd say between .25 and .5 oz for a medium toast french cube that has been boiled. Couple weeks or couple months, won't make a difference if you're not using much oak.

4) I would dry hop in secondary, when I add oak and the dregs if I was adding them to secondary rather than at bottling. Bam spends about two weeks in wood. Doesn't matter what you bitter with. Nelson is ok in a saison, but a subtle 1/2 oz citra addition is great. Crystal is nice, too.

5) Personally I'd skip the vienna and use some oats and maybe a little caramunich I, but that's just personal preference as is everything I've said other than 3711 being the devil's yeast. That's a fact. ;)

If you want something like bam, use the can you brew it bam clone grain bill. More ingredients than what I usualy use for a saison, but I've brewed it several times and it's damn good.

1) 3711 is gross. It should never be used for anything. The attenuation isn't a factor, brett can do plenty without dropping the gravity any. 3726 is hands down the best commercial saison strain. If HF doesn't use 3726, it's something very similar also cultured from Blaugies. No, I don't have a source for that info, but I'd bet dollars to donuts on it. I've never been that happy pitching dregs along with the primary yeast. I prefer to add in secondary or at bottling if the beer is dry enough. Adding JP dregs to an entirely fermented saison (or adjusting the priming sugar if it's still got a few points) at bottling is money. I don't have any experience with HF dregs. CS dregs tend to make an agressively acidic beer.

2) If aging on yeast contributes any flavors, they will be bad. If you've ever had a beer that tasted like wet cat food or spoiled meat, that's autolysis. I don't know where the idea that mixed ferment beers can't develop autolysis off flavors came from, but it's not true.

3) Depends. What kind of oak and what toast? What OG are you expecting? Assuming you are making 5.5 gallons at 1.047, I'd say between .25 and .5 oz for a medium toast french cube that has been boiled. Couple weeks or couple months, won't make a difference if you're not using much oak.

4) I would dry hop in secondary, when I add oak and the dregs if I was adding them to secondary rather than at bottling. Bam spends about two weeks in wood. Doesn't matter what you bitter with. Nelson is ok in a saison, but a subtle 1/2 oz citra addition is great. Crystal is nice, too.

5) Personally I'd skip the vienna and use some oats and maybe a little caramunich I, but that's just personal preference as is everything I've said other than 3711 being the devil's yeast. That's a fact. ;)

so how do you really feel? :)
1. everyone has their own likes/dislikes. I like 3711 as it plays well with Brett (though I have found I'm not a fan of 3711 in conjunction with Wyeast Brett Brux). I really like 3711 when Rye is a heavy % of the grain bill. if you're using HF dregs I would advise not using anything bottled from them over the last 6-9 months as they now use wine yeast for bottle conditioning. the wine yeast used is up for debate but I'm not liking some of the flavors I'm getting using recent HF bottle dregs... (some wine yeasts kill sacc yeasts)

2. autolysis is a major factor in clean beers, but luckily Brett and bacteria cleans up autolysis flavors.

3. I've had good luck numerous times with about 1oz of boiled and wine soaked medium toast cubes per 3gals. ymmv.

4. have never dry-hopped a saison so no input there. if I did, especially a mixed ferm saison on oak, I would add the oak weeks-to-months before I add the dryhops. 7-10 days before bottling is a known good schedule for dryhopping.

5. I'm a big fan of using oat, rye or spelt (non barley grains) in my saisons, usually about 30-40% of the grain bill. on top of a small% of wheat.

3711 is not the devil. some people just don't like it ;)

1. everyone has their own likes/dislikes. I like 3711 as it plays well with Brett (though I have found I'm not a fan of 3711 in conjunction with Wyeast Brett Brux). I really like 3711 when Rye is a heavy % of the grain bill. if you're using HF dregs I would advise not using anything bottled from them over the last 6-9 months as they now use wine yeast for bottle conditioning. the wine yeast used is up for debate but I'm not liking some of the flavors I'm getting using recent HF bottle dregs... (some wine yeasts kill sacc yeasts)

2. autolysis is a major factor in clean beers, but luckily Brett and bacteria cleans up autolysis flavors.

3. I've had good luck numerous times with about 1oz of boiled and wine soaked medium toast cubes per 3gals. ymmv.

4. have never dry-hopped a saison so no input there. if I did, especially a mixed ferm saison on oak, I would add the oak weeks-to-months before I add the dryhops. 7-10 days before bottling is a known good schedule for dryhopping.

5. I'm a big fan of using oat, rye or spelt (non barley grains) in my saisons, usually about 30-40% of the grain bill. on top of a small% of wheat.

There are two kinds of people, those who like 3711 and those with good taste. 3711 can be covered up in a mixed ferment, but on it's own it's just terrible. Generally, taste is a matter of personal preference, but no on this. :D

Can a mixed ferment reduce autolysis off flavors? Yes. Will it? Not necessarily, so why risk it when there is no benefit to the extended yeast contact?

There are two kinds of people, those who like 3711 and those with good taste. 3711 can be covered up in a mixed ferment, but on it's own it's just terrible. Generally, taste is a matter of personal preference, but no on this. :D

Can a mixed ferment reduce autolysis off flavors? Yes. Will it? Not necessarily, so why risk it when there is no benefit to the extended yeast contact?
I've never brewed with 3711 alone. then again, all of my saisons have brett.

I'm struggling to think of any mixed or spontaneous fermentations where there was autolysis off flavors going on. I guess there may be some out there though...

I've never brewed with 3711 alone. then again, all of my saisons have brett.

I'm struggling to think of any mixed or spontaneous fermentations where there was autolysis off flavors going on. I guess there may be some out there though...

Ah hah! Well whenever you have a crappy US saison that tastes like every other crappy US saison, it's 3711. Stone fruit and 'pepper shaker' black pepper.

Ah hah! Well whenever you have a crappy US saison that tastes like every other crappy US saison, it's 3711. Stone fruit and 'pepper shaker' black pepper.

Now I understand why you and I have fairly differing opinions on Wicked Weed saisons. Especially when we tend to agree on the overrated mediocrity of most other Asheville-area breweries. ;)

On this subject, I like to brew saisons with a lot of wheat. I usually use a fairly simple grist that's between 50-70% pilsner and 30-50% white wheat. I like the result well enough but I really need to start playing around with combos of other things.

I did a "saison" where the primary fermentation was an old/expired pack of Wyeast 1010 American wheat yeast (basically just wanted to get some sacch in there) and dregs from a Crooked State Hop Savant bottle and a Grassroots Brother Soigne bottle. The thing developed a wild pellicle in no time and very funky with some nice tartness. I had good success using Arthur dregs in secondary with peaches, and have one cooking right now that has some CS dregs in secondary.

Agreed also on the "doesn't matter what you bitter with". I've used CTZ, Nugget, and all kinds of other stuff depending on what I have laying around, just to get the right IBUs. I like Citra, Amarillo, Nugget, and a few others as flameout hops, depending on what I'm going for.

I see mixed opinions on yeast here boys! The main reason for 3711 was the temperature of fermentation. It's getting pretty cold here in OH and will be fermenting in a basement that's around 60 degrees without the option of controlled temp. I heard other saison strains have the tendency to not finish the beer, but would the dregs (Brett strains) essentially finish the beer completely? If so that might actually be the better choice for what I'm shooting for.

I wouldn't use any saison strain at 60 degree ambient.
Like I said, I can't really control the temp. I can however bring it upstairs for a month or so so it could be around 70. Plan on pitching dregs of CS Surette, Allagash Golden Brett, and another tasty treat at the same time w/ saison strain so hopefully I get some nice funk to it.

Do you guys prefer to pitch dregs + sacch in primary or ferment with sacch, transfer and pitch dregs?

With regards to autolysis, I think the belief is that brett/bugs can process the off flavors produced by autolysis. This may be true in some cases, and maybe my framboise will clean up more in time, but I pitched one smack pack each of a clean Belgian strain and Lambic Blend (along with some dregs), and left it in primary for a year, and the beer is definitely suffering from some autolysis related off flavors. Perhaps if I had only pitched Lambic blend, so there was much less regular sacch in the beer to die off, it wouldn't be an issue.

I think pitching your wild stuff after primary fermentation might be the better way to go. I co pitched a clean saison strain and WL Brett Brux Trois into a saison in early August, and racked the beer onto peaches and oak Labor Day weekend, and I'm a little disappointed at the lack of funk so far. Considering cracking my last Beatification and tossing the dregs in to liven things up.

With regards to autolysis, I think the belief is that brett/bugs can process the off flavors produced by autolysis. This may be true in some cases, and maybe my framboise will clean up more in time, but I pitched one smack pack each of a clean Belgian strain and Lambic Blend (along with some dregs), and left it in primary for a year, and the beer is definitely suffering from some autolysis related off flavors. Perhaps if I had only pitched Lambic blend, so there was much less regular sacch in the beer to die off, it wouldn't be an issue.

I think pitching your wild stuff after primary fermentation might be the better way to go. I co pitched a clean saison strain and WL Brett Brux Trois into a saison in early August, and racked the beer onto peaches and oak Labor Day weekend, and I'm a little disappointed at the lack of funk so far. Considering cracking my last Beatification and tossing the dregs in to liven things up.

Sorry to hear about your beer! A bad batch is always sad. A bad batch on raspberries is tragic.

Sorry to hear about your beer! A bad batch is always sad. A bad batch on raspberries is tragic.

Yeah, it was my first sour, so it is a bit disheartening :( I do believe I saw a post recently on the Mad Fermentationist where he alluded to one of his beers with autolysis off flavors rounding into form eventually in the bottle, so there's hope yet, may just take a while.

what was your gravity when you pitched the brett?

what was your gravity when you pitched the brett?

That's a good question actually. Starting gravity for the beer was around 1.050, and I actually pitched the brett two days into fermentation as I hadn't received it from the homebrew store in time for brewday.

That's a good question actually. Starting gravity for the beer was around 1.050, and I actually pitched the brett two days into fermentation as I hadn't received it from the homebrew store in time for brewday.

Did you make a starter for the brett? The white lab brett is pitiful as far as cell count goes.

Thanks for all the tips gents. My revised plan/bill is

70% pilsner
30% wheat
hopped to mid 20s
pitch 3726 in primary, move to secondary after a month
add dregs of several bretty/sour beers to secondary along with .5-1.0 oz of medium toast, boiled and wine soaked oak cubes
medium dry hop 10 days prior to kegging

Thanks folks! Will report back when everything is said and done.

Define controlled. Just looking for advice from people with my experience than myself, especially with wild yeast.
Farmhouse beers need to be a little looser. Toss in some dregs in primary. Vomit into your secondary. Do something to create surprise. Wild beers made like clean beers taste like it.

Stop trying to be so controlled! You Will never make a good farmhouse beer I such. Controlled fashion.
1z18wlk.jpg

Making it to this thread way late, adding some thoughts on earlier posts and some advice below.

Agree with everything, oak maybe a bit on the low end if you're not planning on going for more than 4 weeks or so. Liked for the fact that 3711 is garbage.

HF has never bottled using only the saison/Brett combo. Shaun told me about a year and a half ago that the saisons were bottled with a neutral ale yeast.

I see mixed opinions on yeast here boys! The main reason for 3711 was the temperature of fermentation. It's getting pretty cold here in OH and will be fermenting in a basement that's around 60 degrees without the option of controlled temp. I heard other saison strains have the tendency to not finish the beer, but would the dregs (Brett strains) essentially finish the beer completely? If so that might actually be the better choice for what I'm shooting for.

If 60*F ambient is your only option, there are some saison yeasts that will work better, especially paired with Brett. I've come to let my saisons work with the seasons in my basement/garage, and I've had great success with low temperature saisons mixing The Yeast Bay Wallonian Farmhouse and plenty of Brett (more on that at the end of the post).

I wouldn't use any saison strain at 60 degree ambient.

So long as it's with Brett, I think you can have good results, especially as the actual temperature of the ferment will probably be closer to 63-65*F. The caveat, discussed more below, is that when doing a healthy Brett pitch along with the saison yeast, you're going to get a much more fruity/ester-heavy saison, which isn't ideal if you prefer saisons that are on the phenolic side. I don't like the phenols in beers like Hennepin and vastly prefer the fruitiness of Fantôme, so this works for me.

Do you guys prefer to pitch dregs + sacch in primary or ferment with sacch, transfer and pitch dregs?

I pitch Sacch. plus Brett in the primary and usually also use spent oak cubes and/or scratched buckets that have Brett and LAB. I generally just do 4 weeks with this and then bottle/keg.

Thanks autocorrect, I sound like danyP.

When I first saw the post, I thought you were intentionally channeling danyP, and doing a good job of it :D

General Saison Thoughts:

A lot of this depends on what you're going for, as it's a wide-ranging "style" and people certainly have different goals. If you're shooting for something that's more funky, spicy, and phenolic, I'd recommend just going with Sacch. in the primary, letting it get down quite low, and then add dregs/Brett in secondary or at bottling. Nearly any saison strain should work for that, though as others have, I would recommend the Blaugies strain (3726).

If you prefer saisons that are fruitier with some tartness, I'd go with something along the lines of The Yeast Bay Wallonian Farmhouse or ECY08 (Saison Blend). I would then also pitch this alongside a healthy dose of Brett that tends to be fruity-heavy in primary before it starts working on the Sacch.-created compounds. Here, best bets in my opinion are Brett C and Brett Trois. I use both. You could then also go with some fruitier American hops at flameout or for dry-hopping. Think IPA hops, just only use a third or a half of what you'd use for a bigger IPA.

In terms of fermentation temperature, I've honestly had success anywhere from the low 60s to the upper 70s when going with a fruitier strain paired with Brett, with fermentations taking about 2 weeks at the upper end of the range, and more toward 4 weeks at the lower end. However, the flavor profiles aren't that noticeably different.

A few other things you may or may not want to consider:
  • If you want the resulting beer to be more ester heavy, go with a little bit less oxygen (I use 30 seconds of pure O2 per 5 gallons, as opposed to the general recommendation of 45-60 seconds.)
  • If you're looking for more acidity and/or funk, I recommend doing a cleaner saison with just Sacch. and Brett, and then always keep on hand some base blonde wild for blending (even half a gallon of that in 5 gallons of beer without lactic acid banter will make a noticeable difference).
  • I always use double the recommended rate of yeast nutrient per the recommendation in Farmhouse Ales. I don't know if it really makes a difference, but it's not hurting anything and the stuff isn't expensive.
  • If you're messing with water profiles, a lot of people recommend heavier sulfate additions in saisons. I really don't like this. The finishing gravity is low enough to make it dry, and 25-30 IBUs will give it a nice bitter edge. I favor keeping chloride and sulfate roughly the same, aiming for 75-100ppm.
  • If you're dealing with pH, keeping the mash pH down in the range of 5.2-5.4 (room temperature) really helps smooth things out.
  • For the malt profile, as others have stated, it's always nice to get at least 10-20% wheat, spelt, oats, rye, flaked corn, etc. in there for some additional mouthfeel. 5-10% of something like Vienna is nice as well if you want to have a bit more ready flavor. With Munich, you can go higher, maybe around 20%.
Best of luck!

Bump.

Any updates, Tom?

My first "saison" that I brewed I pretty much threw the kitchen sink at it as far as dregs go. Fantome, JP, CS, and something else that I can't recall. It's very tart and acidic. Not bad by any means, but it's not a saison. More like a wild ale.

Second attempt I only used a pack of Belle saison yeast (dry). I let the temp go naturally for the first few days, then I cranked it up to the mid 80's for 7-10 days (I'm terrible at keeping notes). This was also hopped with citra and the results were very nice if you like a bright, fruity profile. Not much black pepper or esters that I'm picking up.

My third attempt is sitting in a carboy at the moment. Used Belle saison yeast and galaxy hops. I've been dumping Fantome saison dregs in the carboy whenever I finish a bottle. It's sitting in my kitchen where the temp varies from 65-72 degrees.

what makes you think any of those things are not indicative of a saison?
what is a saison?
;)
The first batch I was talking about with the Frankenstein dregs is way more acidic than anything I've had that's labeled as a saison.

The second batch which is nice and fruity still tastes like a saison.

Happy with the way both of them turned out, just for different reasons. :cool:

I'm just happy that I've had a decent success rate so far without following any tried and true recipes.

Happy with the way both of them turned out, just for different reasons. :cool:
I'm just happy that I've had a decent success rate so far without following any tried and true recipes.
9c4KRaycE.jpeg

saisons can be acidic/tart
saisons can be spicy
saisons can be dry
saisons can be bubblegummy
saisons can be earthy
saisons can be funky
saisons can be fruity
saisons can be hoppy
saisons can be any permutation of the above
saisons can be none of the above

saison is not a style

9c4KRaycE.jpeg

saisons can be acidic/tart
saisons can be spicy
saisons can be dry
saisons can be bubblegummy
saisons can be earthy
saisons can be funky
saisons can be fruity
saisons can be hoppy
saisons can be any permutation of the above
saisons can be none of the above

saison is not a style

Almost all the way :) Saisons MUST be dry. That's really about it. I'd say yeast-forward too. Otherwise, I don't have any constraints.

Almost all the way :) Saisons MUST be dry. That's really about it. I'd say yeast-forward too. Otherwise, I don't have any constraints.
Minimum of a saison strain and/or brett, too. And not that troi pretender stuff.

Hot fermentation?

Minimum of a saison strain and/or brett, too. And not that troi pretender stuff.

Hot fermentation?

I left that out since I think you can get a pretty good saison with other Belgian yeasts, so maybe just Belgian yeast and/or Brett as the requirement.

I'd say definitely not on hot fermentation as fruitier strains (e.g., YB Wallonian) paired with Brett work damn well in the 60s.

Back