Savannah recs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drgarage1

Not a real doctor. Lives in garage.
Reaction score
for some reason, my family has chosen to do Christmas in Savannah this year. Any spots I should hit up? Probably most interested in tracking down some Creature Comforts and Westbrook, along with anything else great I don't know about.

for some reason, my family has chosen to do Christmas in Savannah this year. Any spots I should hit up? Probably most interested in tracking down some Creature Comforts and Westbrook, along with anything else great I don't know about.

I don't know much about Savannah personally, but you won't find any Creature Comforts' cans out there. I tried to find a growler shop that might have some of their stuff, but I couldn't find anything via Google that suggests anyone down there does have it. You should be able to find some Westbrook cans, though, and maybe a bomber of Dark Helmet of their Udderly stout. Probably will have to go to a bottle shop of some sort, or even a Whole Foods for the bombers... and you should be able to fine their canned offerings in most grocery stores.

Are you passing through Atlanta at any point, or straight to Savannah?

I don't know much about Savannah personally, but you won't find any Creature Comforts' cans out there. I tried to find a growler shop that might have some of their stuff, but I couldn't find anything via Google that suggests anyone down there does have it. You should be able to find some Westbrook cans, though, and maybe a bomber of Dark Helmet of their Udderly stout. Probably will have to go to a bottle shop of some sort, or even a Whole Foods for the bombers... and you should be able to fine their canned offerings in most grocery stores.

Are you passing through Atlanta at any point, or straight to Savannah?
Just a connection at Atlanta airport.

Savannah is a great town and super fun. However, I can't say the beer scene was fantastic, at least downtown. I spent a few days there last spring and had a blast. The food is amazing and you absolutely must do a ghost tour with Blue Orb. Even if you roll your eyes at the idea of a ghost tour, you should give it a try. The Blue Orb's is excellent.

There's a growler place that's part of The Beer Growler franchise. Large selection, not much super high quality. Worth a stop in for something if you just want to try something you've never had before. (Since you're from SF, there might be some more interesting stuff for you.)

Service Brewing is a cool little brewery just off downtown. Not mind-blowing beer, but they have a large space and a ping pong table. I happen to go on their anniversary party and had fun.

Hops and Barley is a good store. If Creature Comforts is anywhere, it's probably there. Lots of good stuff from around the south in there.

Protip: no open container laws in Savannah, at least in certain parts of downtown.

Savannah is a great town and super fun. However, I can't say the beer scene was fantastic, at least downtown. I spent a few days there last spring and had a blast. The food is amazing and you absolutely must do a ghost tour with Blue Orb. Even if you roll your eyes at the idea of a ghost tour, you should give it a try. The Blue Orb's is excellent.

There's a growler place that's part of The Beer Growler franchise. Large selection, not much super high quality. Worth a stop in for something if you just want to try something you've never had before. (Since you're from SF, there might be some more interesting stuff for you.)

Service Brewing is a cool little brewery just off downtown. Not mind-blowing beer, but they have a large space and a ping pong table. I happen to go on their anniversary party and had fun.

Hops and Barley is a good store. If Creature Comforts is anywhere, it's probably there. Lots of good stuff from around the south in there.

Protip: no open container laws in Savannah, at least in certain parts of downtown.

The Beer Growler in Savannah closed over the summer, FYI. :)

And a handful of their locations in the Atlanta area also closed their doors as well.

This thread could use some more oomph. Anybody have updates on this area? Service brewing, hops and barley....
Anything else??

Anybody know of events for tonight at all?

Service brewing stinks. Cool space, very mediocre beer.

Moor River brewpub might actually be worse. I had a completely opaque hefe there. Not cloudy and to style, I'm talking milky yellow.

Southbound was my favorite. They were solid, but nothing mind blowing.

The worst part is the ass backwards Georgia make it so that the breweries are open for 2 hours and you have to take a "tour". So you can't pop in for a pint or flight.

Habersham Beverage Warehouse was a pretty good beer store. There are a few locations I believe.

Interesting, thanks for all the info! Sounds like Savannah needs to up their beer game.

The worst part is the ass backwards Georgia make it so that the breweries are open for 2 hours and you have to take a "tour". So you can't pop in for a pint or flight.
Sounds like a joke. Is this an actual law or some ****?

Interesting, thanks for all the info! Sounds like Savannah needs to up their beer game.

Sounds like a joke. Is this an actual law or some ****?
Actual ass backwards law. It kind of got changed in 2015 and things were better but then they started interpreting the law a different way and it's kind of back to square one.

Service for example is open 5:30-7:30. You pay $12 and get a glass and something like 2 or 4 pours.

Southbound you bought a glass and got tickets for half pours. It's odd.

Never been but heard good things about Moon River brewpub.
Ive been several times. It hits the spot whereas you won't find anything else drinkable around. It's a college town IMO, and they prefer "American light lagers". So craft beer is not a big or abundant thing there.

I've been to Savannah quite a few times, albeit before I was fully into craft beer. The scene down there ain't pretty, but you can find Yuengling! I remember drinking Black & Tans on the beach and giving no fux

Back