AMA Schramm's Mead

Discussion in 'TalkBeer AMA' started by Michigan, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Michigan

Michigan

Paging Naegerbomb. I'm sure we all want to bombard you with questions.

First question:

1. What is mead?

Thank you for your time.

2. jmgrub

jmgrub

I went into Schramm's tonight and got my own personal AMA with James. I would recommend Schramm's to anyone. Both the meads and the staff are unbeatable. What a night!

3. JulianB

JulianB

Exact same thing happened to me. Showed up at midnight, had both available mead flights, and spent the hour talking with James and Allison. At "closing" they basically made it "last call", so I got a glass of Heart of Darkness and James showed me the meadmaking area and explained all kinds of stuff to me about the process while they were clearing up. Left around 2am. Great people, great space, great mead.

4. Os

Os Moderator / Master of Social Media Staff Member

I would like some Schramm's

5. abawol01

abawol01

Cash and a label and it's yours. PM me if you want it.

6. cry me

cry me

i would also like some schramm's. do they have anything that is consistently available or is it all batch to batch?

jmgrub likes this.
  7. Naegerbomb

Naegerbomb

Mead is quite possibly the oldest alcoholic beverage known to man. Unlike grapes or barley (which need to be cultivated), honey can be 'hunted' or found ready-to-eat. Contamination of a hive with water and wild inoculate can result in ready-to-drink alcoholic beverage, making that lucky early man (or woman) a very popular person in the tribe. In modern times, it is generally agreed that mead is an alcoholic beverage with at least 51% of the fermentables coming from honey. Other than this cardinal rule, there are few rules that define mead. Mead can be whatever we want it to be.

8. Michigan

Michigan

Soooo..... You don't make mead?
    [​IMG]

Next question:

What mead would you like to make but can't?

levifunk, Previously and jmgrub like this.
  9. Naegerbomb

Naegerbomb

The answer to this label awkwardness is simple: the federal government doesn't know what mead is. The word "mead" doesn't appear in any CFR and so the word is sometimes not even allowed on labels (even though it's in the name of our business!! It's kind of like my last name getting banned from Xbox Live. Doesn't make sense.) Honey wine is an "other than standard" agricultural wine. From Ken's petition: "The Formulas tab of the TTB Online “Formulas Online” submission tool requires that all fermentable ingredients be listed as percentages by volume. For every beverage except some distilled products, water is, in fact, the largest volumetric ingredient. For meads made with fruit, however, the largest contributor of extract (honey), and the largest contributor of volume (fruit or fruit juice) are going to be different. Throughout the mead world, if the majority contributor of extract to a fermented beverage is honey, the beverage is mead."

And a link to Ken's petition, which I encourage everyone to get behind. Mead is the fastest growing segment of the craft beverage alcohol industry, and our labels are way too confusing for the consumer.

Commercially, I'd like to make a braggot. I've had some amazing braggots but to do this at Schramm's would require that we get a brewing license. Why can't we have "One License to Rule Them All"??? A small winery cannot have malt on premise. Lobbying and money are the only things that can explain these regulations, which inhibit creativity IMHO.

Personally and commercially, I'd like to make a traditional with Tasmanian Leatherwood Honey, but the largest quantity that we can find is these little cans (and they are SUPER expensive). If anyone can find us someone willing to sell us a 60# pail of it for a reasonable price, you'd be a hero. The honey is gd amazing. We have some cans at the meadery for honey tastings and educational purposes, so if you ever stop by Schramm's and want to try these, just ask.

10. ASUBeer

ASUBeer

Naegerbomb Schramm's mead has a thick mouth feel and rich/deep honey base to it that no other mead I've had can replicate. How is that accomplished?

11. ASUBeer

ASUBeer

Also, I'd love to hear more about your approach to growing and using fruit.

12. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

Tell us about your masters thesis!

Gonzoillini and jmgrub like this.
  13. Michigan

Michigan

Just got back from the Meadery.

Heart of Darkness = 100/100
    Statement Reserve = 97/100
    Black Agnes = 95-96/100
    Nutmeg = 94/100
    Small Batch Ginger = 92/100

Using the Robert Parker 100 point system (not that bullshit BA/RB 100pt systems)

14. Michigan

Michigan

Did the honey tasting with Naegerbomb and Ken at Schramm's
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the education, guys!

15. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

I never got a honey tasting. :-(

Naegerbomb likes this.
  16. Os

Os Moderator / Master of Social Media Staff Member

Naegerbomb do you ever draw inspiration from beers? If so, any particular breweries?

Pizzafuentes and Naegerbomb like this.
  17. Naegerbomb

Naegerbomb

Just ask next time you're in and I'm around or Ken is around. We have Florida and California Orange Blossom, tupelo, blackberry blossom, raspberry blossom, heather, honeydew, Mexican coffee blossom, meadowfoam, Tasmanian leatherwood, black locust, blueberry blossom, and an awesome basswood honey (all for educational purposes).

18. cosmicevan

cosmicevan

Naegerbomb how long can your mead hold up after opening? i've heard that they can last up to 3 months post open with a recork without any noticeable change if stored in the fridge.

what temperature do you serve your meads at? ;)

how can an out of towner try the meads you don't bottle?

edit - and thanks for doing this!!!

Previously, Naegerbomb and ASUBeer like this.
  19. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Not Patrick

Naeger, please ship to California.

20. Michigan

Michigan

Naeger, please.