Whiskey Scotch

Discussion in 'Whiskey, Wine & Other Booze' started by JRE, Dec 9, 2013.

1. MikeJones

MikeJones

I'll put it on the list. I've had the 10 before and enjoyed it.

GRDave and kbuzz like this.
  2. TheBus

TheBus

I've been holding on to this drunken 1oz curiosity purchase for some time now and made certain to clear the palette as much as possible. I wasn't sure what to expect, but decided to crack it open. Rich, creamy, and really just fantastic. I expected a wood bomb but it's nowhere close to that. I'll have to repeat at some point.

Happy Father's Day! Cheers.

[​IMG]

ufmj, kevanb, GuzzleMcBrew and 11 others like this.
  3. quirk6

quirk6

How much does an ounce of 60 year old scotch cost? Also, Jesus, is that right?

sliverx, GuzzleMcBrew and match1112 like this.
  4. rrryanc

rrryanc

Replying to this in case anyone from the future is looking. CASC is great, good beer selection and a bunch of nice whiskys. Had a pour of 12 year Glen Garioch which was pretty tasty. Then went to The Grill which felt more like a classic British pub that also has a great selection. Had a pour of Glendronach 21 from Oloroso and PX casks (I think, was pretty out of it from the travel at this point).

Would recommend both places, and would go back. The Grill definitely felt more traditional, CASC has a new-era craft beer vibe to it, though was a plenty comfortable place to go for a drink. The Grill was much busier on a Monday evening.

5. kevanb

kevanb

[​IMG]
    Anyone had this before? Binny's has it for a great price and I've been eyeing it after some good news at the office, but it's definitely a tough one to take the plunge on without tasting and I haven't seen it around town at any of the whiskey spots.

rrryanc, GetchaPull and Gonzoillini like this.
  6. gdawgs34

gdawgs34

7. Digita7693

Digita7693

So I finally made it to Islay. What a wonderful and magical place!

Started off at Laphroaig
    [​IMG]

Quick stop at the 1200ish year old Kildalton Celtic Cross in a beautiful old cemetery:
    [​IMG]

Then on to Lagavuilin and tried the Fes Ile (fantastic), Jazz Fest, double matured, and 12yr cask.
    Very cool, and chill place.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next Ardbeg, tried to full range they had available and ate lunch there, delicious!
    Kildaton was one of the favorites, Kelpie and Supernova were also high, and Perpetuum universally underwhelming.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then came Bruichladdich. I highly highly recommend the Warehouse tour! 27€, sit down in the barrel room for about an hour and get 3 very generous pours direct from the cask. Ours were a 28yr old unpeated, very smooth and dangerously drinkable at 53%, a Mouton Rotschild cask at 58%, delicious, and an 11yr old Octomore at 60% in a sherry barrel, and around 90ppm and insanely smooth with some sweetness.
    In the shop we were offered anything and everything. Tried a few more octomores, a cognac port charlotte, dark arts, something else???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally Kilchoman, because, I have no idea... I love Kilchoman, but didn't necessarily need more whisky after Bruichladdich, but wanted to go. So we did a quick run through of all 6 they had available.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still standing, somehow
    [​IMG]

Quick dip in the ocean, was a bit chilly.

[​IMG]

And back to the busy airport:
    [​IMG]

ufmj, BobZ, Hopping Tiger and 25 others like this.
  8. kbuzz

kbuzz

Words can't even describe the jealous hatred I feel for you right now. Looks like such a good time.

BobZ, sliverx, GRDave and 11 others like this.
  9. rcubed

rcubed

^

Hopping Tiger, GRDave, TheBus and 6 others like this.
  10. Ratman

Ratman

11. Digita7693

Digita7693

[​IMG]

First whisky/drink since my post Islay detox of 3 weeks and end of the semester!
    3 weeks till Brews! :)

BobZ, TheBus, kuemmelbrau and 3 others like this.
  12. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

What did you think of the different Kilchomans? I've had the blue and the purple so far.

Digita7693 likes this.
  13. Digita7693

Digita7693

I am an unapologetic fan of Kilchoman. The 100% Islay was great and nice as it wasn't as peaty after everything else, just a nice drinking dram.
    The Sauternes cask (not pictured) was great, but the Madeira cask (also not pictured), was one of the highlights of the whole trip. Just a nice whisky, albeit young, with a good peat presence, but not overwhelming, with some sweetness to balance things out from the Madeira.