US - Pacific SF bottle share - Sat 9/15

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by AndresR, Aug 20, 2018.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. AndresR

AndresR Premium Supporter Contributor

The challenge is lots of folks avoid TB because, reasons. Other folks avoid FB, also because reasons. Then there are the folks who show up to the shares because they heard about it from their cousin Pauly.

I'd love a central location to post shares, and events for ease of communication. Not sure where. So far posting it here, and linking outsiders to the thread seems to work.

And yeah, that FB group "bay area shares".....basically zero shares, only pics of poat shares. Which I think is a further slap in the face. Its tricky, I find a lot bay area beer nerds just not super friendly and open about sharing beers too. Luckily there a good amount of super cool folks that do love sharing beers in Bay.

ABSTRACTlegend, anvindr and KevSal like this.
  2. iong516

iong516

I just don't love big shares. Past like 6 people pours get dumb small, and sometimes side bottles start getting opened hush hush that you see show up empty on the table after the 'in' people get their pours which isn't a cool atmosphere.

3. AndresR

We've never had "side pours" at our shares simply becuase those folks know they are unwelcome, and they generally only go to shares where some status is associated with it.

chemman14, anvindr, KevSal and 2 others like this.
  4. buzzword

buzzword

fuck a status share. that’s stupid.

I’d be into a quarterly gathering here in SF - especially since I...

5. iong516

iong516

ISO rustic caps, FT loonz

BrandoSF and buzzword like this.
  6. AndresR

Agree. It is stupid. I know a few folks that won't go to a share unless whales will be cracked because they can't be bothered with pleb beer.

Beer is social and fun. It should stay that way.

7. ISOrarebarrel

ISOrarebarrel

Agree that the FB SF Bottle Share group is not living up to its name.
    Agree that the 9/15 bottle share was awesome. Great people, fantastic beer (sans the Lagunitas), no elitist side shares.
    Agree that TB should remain vehicle for organizing the quarterly bottle shares so new folks can find out about it.

However I think that a Google Groups email listserve would be useful and serve a different purpose because:

-Sometimes people just feel like having spur of the moment bottle shares to share all the great stuff they have been collecting with other cool folks (for me thats like every week).
    -With Facebook, Twitter, Talkbeer, Instagram, Snapchat, MySpace, Friendster (ok I'm getting carried away) people's heads are spinning trying to proactively go to the sites and keep track of all the posts. With old fashioned email, messages get delivered to you.
    -Some people may not feel comfortable posting their home addresses (assuming others like me host them there) on TB.

I can set up an Email listserve and Andres you can go ahead and be an admin if you want since you've done a great job leading up the quarterly bottle shares.

8. AndresR

That's cool. Anyone is welcome to be the admin. I only step up for events because nobody else does.

But, I dig the idea of an email blast to get the ball rolling on shares and events.

KevSal likes this.
  9. chemman14

chemman14

FWIW for my monthly shares down here in So Cal I create a public facebook event. Then share that to local beer pages, as well as a link with info to here (although I stopped sharing to here, as it seems there weren't any locals on here). Makes it nice because you can update the location if your first pick isn't available and it sends out a notification to all who were "interested" or "going". I realize this isn't perfect as people avoid FB like the plague but it has worked well for me.

10. jedwards

jedwards

Hey nerds, this thread is a random place to announce, but at least I've met you all before. This Friday (Feb 1) I'm going to be spending the evening going through all of my glassware in anticipation of moving in five months, and opening some weird/proper bottles (I'm in the Inner Sunset; if you've been to a Golden Gate Park tasting before you've been close by). If you'd like to stop by anytime after 7pm, message me for the address.

BrandoSF, JTC2811, jtmartino and 12 others like this.
  11. iong516

iong516

Sounds pretty cool...

RyanG likes this.