US - South Shelton Brothers "The Festival 2016" in Louisville, Kentucky

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by seedavid, Mar 31, 2016.

1. drinkypoo

drinkypoo Previously FEUO

Who would have picked Louisville? Interesting choice that worked out splendidly.

2. SAISON FUCK

SAISON FUCK

Shelton loves the Holy Grale folks. I would bet the next locale will be a city that they have a close relationship with the distributor or a bar/store owner.

3. Snarf

Snarf

Has it been that crowded in years past? I didn't mind the lines as there were always alternatives with no wait, but I didn't think it was going to be that hard to walk around. The layout wasn't good, although I did appreciate the changes they made from session to session to try and improve flow.

4. NAD1983

NAD1983

Good point.

If that's the case, then Seattle is fucked.

lurchingbeast, air, drinkypoo and 2 others like this.
  5. nathanmiller

nathanmiller

Last year was in a basketball arena. Plenty of room. Some breweries had lines but there was no problem of walking around at the breweries that didn't, which were most.

6. wuntrikpony

wuntrikpony

Amazing fest. Loved ticking all you TB fucks. I even got to meet BoatsAndHoes !

Favorite parts of the fest.

1. Live jazz during the first session
    2. Anus lambic paired with funky ass cheese
    3. that iced coffee...damn
    4. Great beers like OH Galaxy Session IPA, Spontan Flor, Schaerbeekse Kriek, Bluet du Fermier, Suarez Pils, Nectarine Premiere, Clarette, Miami Madness, Pirate Paradise, BB Oro Negro, that saison blended with lambic(name?)...

Worst parts

1. Me and my girlfriend trapped in a sea of lambic farts underneath the downstairs tent
    2. that pregnant chick...seriously WTF
    3. not enough cherry wine

[​IMG]

Gene is the worst.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  7. SAISON FUCK

SAISON FUCK

I confronted Gene about allowing Saison Fuck as a screen name, but not Zwickel Fuck. Many punches were thrown.

8. vav

vav

Yeah, that's not really funny. Stay classy there bucko.

Dunt likes this.
  9. beerindex

beerindex

I didn't notice a pregnant woman, but I did see at least two women carrying babies, and one dude with an infant in a stroller. Talk about a lack of priorities. If going to a beer festival is that important to you, you probably need a visit from Child Services. And this is coming from a guy who hates kids.

nathanmiller likes this.
  10. nathanmiller

nathanmiller

Babysitters are way cheaper than the tickets were.

wuntrikpony likes this.
  11. wuntrikpony

wuntrikpony

I have tons of respect for that dude. Super nice and had more patience than a lot of other cork-throwing brewers. Not making fun of him...I was amazed.

Yeah, I saw this girl a few times and she had beer in her glass every time. Had to be 7 months pregnant. Couldn't imagine why anyone would serve her...unless it was just some halloween gag?

12. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini

Well that was a fun way to spend my 30th birthday.

Had a great time at The Festival and with good friends over the extended weekend. My initial thoughts are that this was the best beer festival I've ever been to (sorry Great Taste of the Midwest) and that doing 3 sessions is a lot of work.

First the pre Festival bottle share was possibly the best non-friend bottle share / tasting I've ever been to.

[​IMG]

Shared my magnum of Goober Grape with a number of you (wiltznucs it was extremely well received and we killed the bottle in about 45 minutes) and was able to try 4 Year Oude Lambiek from 3F, 2010 Zwanze, Giradin Fond Gueuze Bierpallieters, Special K and FiveSquared from De Struise, 2006 3F Oude Gueuze, Bokkeyeder (sp?) Passion Fruit Lambic and a number of amazing beers thanks to friends and strangers.

Then we went down to the VIP session and I thank seeswo for guiding LT to the Double Barrel Deviation while we drank Zenne and the Passion Fruit Cantillon and generally enjoyed tons of great beers and was probably the best 2 hours of the festival before it got crowded for session 1 and we eventually bailed to watch the Cubs game at our great Air BnB outside of town.

Session 1 of Saturday was a good time, but we bailed early to get some hot chicken at Royals (thanks Gene for the heads up to leave when we did)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gonzo hot chicken sandwich (I'm not smart and it is my namesake so how can I avoid it?), Pimento grits and a Bourbon Cheerwine slush that was amazingly strong and delicious.

Came back for Session 2 and drank more lambic, lots of cherry wine, and did a fun little industry tour of Copper and Kings with the LT who made friends with Trevor and Shane from the distillery.

[​IMG]

(they were distilling barrel aged Bo and Luke which the tails tasted like oaked popcorn)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and ended up drinking lots of cherry wine at the end of session 2 before heading back to our spot for the Saturday night Cubs game.

Loved seeing Steve biglobo8971 FEUO Forgetfu @alltheFIBS and I'm sure a number of others and meeting nathanmiller Imstillthegman Os, the OH crew of folks, some Philly folks and numerous others I will obviously forget.

Favorite beer was Zenne, palate cleanser all weekend was Suarez Pils (thanks for the recommendation everyone who gave it to me), Abraxas was the best stout that wasn't barrel aged at the event, and the Dark Matter Gesha was a life saver in Session 1 and 3. Holy Mountain / American Solera / Oxbow had minimal lines all weekend and had great mixed farmhouse style beers and Boneyard / Suarez / Jackie O's were the great hoppy / clean / stout beers from the weekend.

Only complaints were the folks who spent 3+ minutes holding up lines talking to folks without thought for everyone behind them and the layout which caused issues. Loved that the staff was actively trying to correct problem #2. Couldn't believe the lines for Side Project and Wakefield, but at least one of them had really tasty beers.

Wished we would have had more time to check out Holy Grale, Segios and Game / Hammerheads, but was a great first trip to Louisville.

Special thanks to DJPhresh for being the MVP of the weekend with a great attitude, fun stories, a concentrate pen with refills on Saturday, bullshitting with the LT while we crashed at our place, and pouring some late night 3F for us in between cherry wine.

Cheers!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  13. tosh

tosh

Obligiary

INRAT
    (not true)

14. biglobo8971

biglobo8971

[​IMG]

15. cysiam

cysiam

Going to continue the praise train. All in all it was the probably most well run festival I've attended. The downstairs area was definitely overcrowded but they made some adjustments and it wasn't nearly as bad for the second day. I got to say howdy to Gene and I think I drank my weight in Suarez Crispy Little. The Jackie O's stuff was a much needed change up all weekend and the dude pouring was super nice. That OppigÄrds BA Stout was a killer surprise.

beerindex, NRCards, Kentucky and 2 others like this.
  16. drinkypoo

Based on being overcrowded you can still say this is the most well RUN festival?
    I know it wasn't overcrowded in the past. I've been to a few festivals that were run as well if not more than this recent one.

I will say that the lineup of breweries makes it better than any other festival I've been to. How its run and organized could use a couple tweaks.

17. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

I think they were pretty much confined to exactly how it was ran. C&K's permit probably only extended to the front curb, otherwise I believe more beer tables would have been in the street area where the food trucks were.

They were willing to make changes between sessions, as evidenced by moving Jester King around after every session. I just think the venue had serious limitations.

And that smell...

18. drinkypoo

I didn't mind the smell, just not when I'm trying to eat, drink beer, sleep, or breath.
    I can see what you are saying about limitations and restrictions. Just saying that working within those things doesn't mean it was run 100% perfectly.... could have picked a different venue?

I am NOT complaining. I had an awesome time. Best festival I have been to, albeit not best run festival I have been to. Splitting hairs.

hangdrop and lurchingbeast like this.
  19. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel

I agree if they could of utilized that food truck area better and moved the porta johns out the gate that would of made a difference but it was I'm sure like you mentioned a permit issue...

Beeradelphia and lurchingbeast like this.
  20. jonbonbrodie

jonbonbrodie

It won't be in Portland or anywhere in OR as brewers aren't allowed to pour their own beer unfortunately.