Sierra 30

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aml42000

Reaction score
Bringing these to a buddy's birthday party tonight. Subbing the Alesmith Decadence 2013 for the Charlie, Fred & Ken's bock. Will post reviews this weekend.
eo8FDes.jpg

The last Black Barleywine I had was really leathery (maduro tones). Haven't had a stout in a while, but guessing it's fine. The Grand Cru seems a little overdue (overly oxidized at this point for the style and beers blended), remains rather bitter and assertive - true to the Sierra Nevada footprint.

Haven't had the Helles in a time also, but recall liking it quite a bit more than I did initially. But most reports say that the beer is over the hill also - I like the oxidized character of this beer though.

Look forward to your review

I had the stout at thanksgiving and I thought it was starting to get a bit oxidized. This was one kept in my beer fridge since purchase, so I was a bit surprised. Rest of the family thought it was great though, so maybe my palate is more sensitive to oxidation.

I had the stout at thanksgiving and I thought it was starting to get a bit oxidized. This was one kept in my beer fridge since purchase, so I was a bit surprised. Rest of the family thought it was great though, so maybe my palate is more sensitive to oxidation.
I had the same feelings when I cracked one open a couple of months ago. Slight oxidation and certainly on the downswing IMO.

It was absolutely amazing a year and a half ago on draft at Toronado, but it was also clear that it had peaked and could only get worse from there. I'd love to see it get made regularly, though. Any thoughts on how similar it actually is to Narwhal (allegedly inspired by it).

22f55b7ea52ec75e893994f7149d6010_320x320.jpg

I had the same feelings when I cracked one open a couple of months ago. Slight oxidation and certainly on the downswing IMO.
Cracked my last bottle tonight. Oxidation was certainly creeping into this one. It improved as it rose to room temp but if I had any more of these I'd be drinking them sooner than later.

1959904_632223833497612_1131663520_n.jpg

Cross post from DDT.. Cracked open the Grand Cru, working through it now. Feel like this one has fallen off from the one I had last year. Taste very similar to some of the vintage celebrations I have. No hint of the Bigfoot, and some oxidation. Glad I didn't wait any longer on my last one. Will be opening up the black barleywine soon.

Still have three of the Grand Crus left. Bought a case when it first came out.

shrug

Latest posts

Back