Question/Opinion Site won't work at work

Discussion in 'Questions, comments, bugs, etc.' started by BigFrank, Nov 8, 2018.

1. BigFrank

BigFrank

So last week TB stopped loading at work. When I try to view it this is what I get. Why does this happen? Is there something I can do to fix it? I should mention than this happens when I get on the public WiFi. Used to be fine, but not anymore.

Please tag any and all computer savvy TB'ers.

BadJustin, tosh and pjs234 like this.
  2. BadJustin

BadJustin Moderator Staff Member

Fenyx

FWIW, mine doesn’t in the office either, same error but works fine at home via my work VPN

3. mborden

mborden

I had a similar thing happen on a different website I visit a few months back. If you click on the certificate it looks like a new one was issued on 10/12/2018. I'm not an expert, but I think sometimes it can take longer for that to propagate, since some servers or whatever can cached the old ones?

With the "other" website that I mentioned, I wasn't able to connect to it with my home internet via any device that were all going through my home internet connection because the cert was expired, but when I hopped on the neighbor's open access point or went to connect via my phone on LTE it was fine. After a while the issue sorted itself out, though it was super annoying.

lurchingbeast likes this.
  4. NeedsMoreDog

NeedsMoreDog

your work has a proxy. basically the proxy or firewall is doing a man-in-the-middle with a self-signed certificate, which is different than the actual talkbeer.com certificate, to decrypt/encrypt traffic for DPI (deep packet inspection), and browsers do not like this and throw the warning. you can't do anything but set a local exclusion in your own browser, go to the Advanced link underneath Back to Safety it should be under there

JulianB, Sage, exitmusic00 and 3 others like this.
  5. mborden

mborden

[​IMG]

buzzword, Stubs, iong516 and 4 others like this.
  6. BigFrank

BigFrank

[​IMG]

Hanzo, wuntrikpony, iong516 and 7 others like this.
  7. NeedsMoreDog

NeedsMoreDog

hey you asked

or, if you are cool with IT folks just say I want to go to talkbeer.com without the warning aka 'whitelist'. hopefully they are competent enough to figure it out. if you have to submit a trouble ticket or something, well, sorry. use your carrier network. although I've taken calls where they couldn't get a video to play, hop on the computer and look at a couple of things without really doing anything, suddenly it starts working and turns out it was a video of some chick getting drilled. a billable call. from a real estate office.

buzzword, GRDave, JulianB and 4 others like this.
  8. BigFrank

BigFrank

I'm just messing with you. I'm not very computer literate so I don't understand a lot of your response. I will fish around on the advanced settings and see if I can figure it out. Thanks

exitmusic00, NeedsMoreDog and mborden like this.
  9. mborden

mborden

[​IMG]

10. NeedsMoreDog

NeedsMoreDog

heh, ditto, I know how it is. I get asked 'what was wrong?' all the time and it's hard to explain, well, anything. under the Advanced you should just see something like 'Proceed Anyway' or 'Continue' or something like that. nothing you should have to really fiddle around to find

11. BigFrank

BigFrank

so I tried going to the advanced features in a screen popped up saying that the website was blocked due to content. I think I'm screwed. On the upside there has been a lot less interest in checking this site in the last couple days.

12. Fenyx

Fenyx Administrator Staff Member

If you have a friend in it, there is a chance of getting the site white listed. Worth giving it a try. Or carry a small tablet or use phone for visiting from work.

BigFrank likes this.
  13. Hanzo

Hanzo

I can't imagine working somewhere and asking the IT folks to whitelist a beer website for me. That's a bold strategy Cotton.

abawol01, exitmusic00, Stubs and 2 others like this.
  14. BigFrank

BigFrank

I would be asking the courthouse IT department to do it for a public WiFi. Better? Worse??

Hanzo likes this.
  15. souredstouts

souredstouts

Do it. I know a new supreme Court judge who will rule in your favor.

Steve, tosh, exitmusic00 and 3 others like this.