Sours in Sydney

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nattomoto

Reaction score
I'll be in Sydney for a week and would love to drink some solid, local brews. Are there any sours worth checking out in Sydney?

I went years ago (2009? 2010?), so I am guessing the scene has changed a lot. I enjoyed Red Oak, and they had a Framboise. They didn't sell any of the sours to go, so I was bummed. If they do sell some sours to go now you are obligated to send some to me ;).

I'll be in Sydney for a week and would love to drink some solid, local brews. Are there any sours worth checking out in Sydney?

Will shoot you a message if you want to catch up for beers at a tasting or pub.

HopDog Alluvial Peach is probably the best off the top of my head. Should still be around in better shops. Can grab some for you if you like if that makes things easier.

Depending on when you are around, you might find some Watermelon Warhead on tap from Feral. http://craftypint.com/events/event/tap-takeover-at-royal-albert-hotel-feral-and-nail/

There could be some of the Great Australian Beer Spectapular (sic) festival beers at the Local Taphouse as well, as some of the kegs have started to make their way up. http://craftypint.com/events/event/best-of-gabs-2014-showcase-at-the-local-taphouse-darlinghurst/ Had the Prickley Moses Nigella Sour Coffee Stout there on the weekend...hopefully that will be gone before you get here, don't recommend.

I went years ago (2009? 2010?), so I am guessing the scene has changed a lot. I enjoyed Red Oak, and they had a Framboise. They didn't sell any of the sours to go, so I was bummed. If they do sell some sours to go now you are obligated to send some to me ;).

Redoak still don't sell to-go, apparently a licensing thing. Their beers are available in bottle shops but none of them are the sours they produce. They should still have the Chateau Sour in bottles and maybe Saison D'Amour and Berlinerweiss at their venue on Clarence Street.

On a side note, why don't we see as many sours in AU? I was in the US in November and every brewery seemed to have an impressive sour offering.

I guess I just want to see Australia put on the map for good, unique beer :)

There are more coming out at the moment. The problem is that good ones tend to take a lot of time and with tax laws here, brewers are paying tax on them well before they can sell them.

There are some barrel programs in the works though. I've had a sneak peak at some of the flanders/lambic styles that Boatrocker has aging and the lambics are as close to real lambic as I've smelt outside of Belg. Their Berliners are reasonably good. I really enjoyed the Berliner that Hargreaves Hill just did too

Two Metre Tall are starting to find their feet as well with their spontaneous fermentation. I haven't tried their cleansing ale in a while but apparently it's tasting pretty good.

7 Cent are doing some interesting things in barrels. Their beers are hit or miss for me (although some good hits lately) but I think they are mostly only tap at the moment.

La Sirene have a big barrel program in the works and are harvesting wild yeast for it.

Feral have a mysterious program that has been in the works for like... 3 years? I feel like we should be seeing some of them soon (anyone have any more knowledge on that?)

Murray's recently dipped their toes into a spontaneous ferment.

The GABS list is full of sours as well this year.

Awe
There are more coming out at the moment. The problem is that good ones tend to take a lot of time and with tax laws here, brewers are paying tax on them well before they can sell them.

There are some barrel programs in the works though. I've had a sneak peak at some of the flanders/lambic styles that Boatrocker has aging and the lambics are as close to real lambic as I've smelt outside of Belg. Their Berliners are reasonably good. I really enjoyed the Berliner that Hargreaves Hill just did too

Two Metre Tall are starting to find their feet as well with their spontaneous fermentation. I haven't tried their cleansing ale in a while but apparently it's tasting pretty good.

7 Cent are doing some interesting things in barrels. Their beers are hit or miss for me (although some good hits lately) but I think they are mostly only tap at the moment.

La Sirene have a big barrel program in the works and are harvesting wild yeast for it.

Feral have a mysterious program that has been in the works for like... 3 years? I feel like we should be seeing some of them soon (anyone have any more knowledge on that?)

Murray's recently dipped their toes into a spontaneous ferment.

The GABS list is full of sours as well this year.
Awesome - I'm heading to GABS in Melb and have just had a look at the offerings. Looking pretty darn good!

Back