US - Midwest St Louis Beer Guide

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by beerindex, Oct 3, 2013.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. shadowane

shadowane

Any opinions on 4 Hands? The draft list seems kind of boring to me but can't decide if a couple of the beers would make a visit worth it or not.

2. shadowane

shadowane

Or do I change plans and instead of going to Bogart's go to Pappys. Wellspent and Urban Chestnut are right around Pappy's so that would fill in the brewery and bbq part of the visit.

I'm going to Side Project Cellar after eating so I have that to look forward to regardless of what I choose at least.

3. ccbstl

ccbstl Premium Supporter Contributor

Do Pappy's/Wellspent/UCBC, more interesting beer, similar BBQ. Nothing will blow you away at 4 Hands

Gonzoillini likes this.
  4. shadowane

shadowane

Thanks for the reply! I'm going to take your advice and go UCBC -> Pappy's. I just wasn't excited by 4 Hands beer list and I figured why waste my time. I may do Wellspent, but probably not since I want time at Side Project.

5. primebeer

primebeer Assistant to the Regional Moderator Contributor

Hey STL folks, I’ll be in town through Friday for work and would love to meet up with a TB’er or two for a beer or three. I’m staying at the Hyatt near the Arch and should be free sometime between 6 and 7 on Wednesday and Thursday evenings. Hit me up if you’re down for a beer, I’ll buy the first round! Cheers

Gonzoillini and thewimperoo like this.
  6. primebeer

Has anyone been to Wellspent yet? I'm in STL a lot now for work and I've hit Side Project, Perennial, Schlafly, Four Hands, Urban Chestnut, and 2nd Shift from a brewery perspective. Any other breweries or bars that I should be hitting that are relatively easy to get to from the downtown or Soulard area? Can uber/lyft within reason..

Gonzoillini likes this.
  7. ccbstl

I enjoyed Wellspent, lot's of well made low ABV stuff. Nothing blew me away, but I liked it all. Civil Life is great and only 10-12 minutes from downtown, less from Soulard. Heavy Riff in Dogtown is pretty good as well and close to 2nd Shift.

FTowne and primebeer like this.
  8. primebeer

Thanks for the recs. I'll try to do a better job of posting in here when I'm in town, as it's quite frequently these days.

I'll check out Wellspent and hopefully Civil Life next time I'm in town. I've had a few Civil Life pours and enjoyed them all. Though it is difficult prying me away from the Grove and drinking all of the Zwickel from the source and then drunkenly stumbling over to Gramophone for some Busch tallboy nightcaps, a massive and delicious sandwich, and some pool. Good times.

FTowne and ccbstl like this.
  9. primebeer

Hey STL gang, I’m in town this week, landing around 6ish tonight and staying through Friday afternoon. If anyone is around and wants to meet up in the evenings, let me know!

Also, if anyone has any recommendations for great beer bars within walking distance or short Uber from the Hyatt at the Arch, that would be much appreciated!

FTowne likes this.
  10. primebeer

Anyone around and want to drink a few beers? I just got to perennial and down to drink elsewhere later. Lemme know!

FTowne and flexabull like this.
  11. ccbstl

I'm at perennial right now, red striped polo across from the bar. I'll buy you a beer.

12. primebeer

Touching tips with ccbstl so hard rn. Let the record state that I got to buy him a beer before he got to buy me a beer.

Other STL folks, I’m back in town June 5-7 if anyone wants to meet up. Cheers

Compton25 and FTowne like this.
  13. ccbstl

Fuckin bullshit

FTowne and primebeer like this.
  14. jeevo

jeevo

So this Derivation 11 release. Will getting in line at 11 am be too late? Do bottles typically last during the on-site events? Seems like they have in the past in the research I've done, but D11 seems like a completely different beast.

15. ccbstl

I think you should be OK, but if you're worried the cellar will have it too. They open an hour later so the line won't be as bad there.

16. jeevo

jeevo

Thank you. I wasn't sure whether I should pack a big bottle to "trade" with someone for a pour or hire someone from Task Rabbit to stand in line. This is super fortuitous timing since I had my flight booked for this Saturday months ago, and I it's something I really don't want to get shut out on lol.

17. JGlitz87

JGlitz87

I come to you the honest people of TB in order to ask an honest opinion.

I happen to be driving through STL one of the weekends of the Langst release. I am hesitant to spend $40 on a single bottle. So let me ask it simply. Is Langst worth it for a BiL believer such as myself?

ccbstl likes this.
  18. PHBoiler

PHBoiler

My friends in whatever the side project club is do say that is a tasty beer.

I spent $40 on BBT myself and it’s the best beer I’ve had in a few years outside of VSOJ.

ccbstl likes this.
  19. ccbstl

Batch 1 was super tasty, you've spent more money on dumber things (probably).

[​IMG]

MKtheGeneral and bread like this.