Starting the Cellar

Discussion in 'Cellaring Beer' started by Brubaker, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Brubaker

Brubaker

Hey look: a door.
    [​IMG]

mateoloco, buzzword, Beer4B and 24 others like this.
  2. ChicagoGuy

ChicagoGuy

Nice! Where'd you get the barn door track hardware? I'd like to do something similar in my basement (except a false wall instead of a door).

Stubs, Brubaker and tosh like this.
  3. coldstorage

coldstorage

Pretty cool.

Are you worried about having any kind of seal? Is the ambient temperature outside the cellar stable and cold enough that it doesnt matter?

Brubaker likes this.
  4. Brubaker

Brubaker

The plan is to put some brush seals in to minimize the air flow. I like the look of the barn door enough to try to make it work. As it is now, the cellar temp is 63 degrees. I'll keep an eye on it over the next summer to see if temps are rising too high.

powz87, GetchaPull, tosh and 2 others like this.
  5. Brubaker

Brubaker

Off the shelf at home depot. Do you mean to say you are planning a secret room? Please tell me it's a secret room.

GetchaPull, tosh, ChicagoGuy and 2 others like this.
  6. ChicagoGuy

ChicagoGuy

In a way. The one end of my basement looks like this:

[​IMG]
    The washer/dryer niche was a closet with standard scissor doors, but we bought a new set of LG's when we moved in - they stuck out an inch further than the ancient washer & dryer, which resulted in the scissor doors having to go.

When the bar's done, I want to put an old Queen Anne-style sofa (ideally from some old lady's estate sale or one of those hospital charity stories) down there, a couple club chairs, a nice painting or two, Tiffany-style lamps, retire down there for after-dinner cocktails when friends are over...and we can all stare at the fucking washer and dryer and the giant blue tank of Kirkland-brand fabric softener on the shelf above them.

So my plan is to build a panel, cover it in the same paint or wallpaper as the rest of the walls, put the same base trim on it, maybe affix a framed painting to it, and have it slide to cover either the laundry area or the entire bar. The goal isn't to make it 100% imperceptible, but just make it blend enough that you can easily forget it's there. And I can put a decently-strong drop rod on it, both to hold it in place and so I can slip a padlock through it for when my girls are in their mid teens and might be tempted to raid the liquor shelf.

7. Brubaker

Brubaker

That's quite a story you made up. We all know you are gonna be growing some weed and need a secret room!

That makes sense and I think a couple of tracks just like mine might be just what you need. You can join multiple tracks together and it sounds like you would need to. For example:
    [​IMG]

8. ChicagoGuy

ChicagoGuy

Nah, I grow my weed in a shed on the roof so the smell can just waft right ou- I fear I've said too much.

Two tracks would work, and the price isn't terrible. Appreciate the info!

tikk, Frank, tosh and 1 other person like this.
  9. Brubaker

Brubaker

so close to officially closing the basement project. Just have to close off the sump pump and do some paint touch ups.
    I may need to take a little break after that before I get back to the cellar....wife has been soloing the house and kids for like a year now.

jdd419, Beer4B, powz87 and 11 others like this.
  10. Brubaker

Brubaker

New project......A bowling alley!

Time to get back to the cellar. I went and got the maple butcher block shelves (3) today.
    [​IMG]

Beer4B, BuckTuckian, Tlo4sho and 12 others like this.
  11. preluderl

preluderl

Good lawd I love maple butcher block. Great choice.

Stubs and Brubaker like this.
  12. PepeSylvia

PepeSylvia

Any temp control plans? Or just use basement ambient?

13. BadJustin

BadJustin

What is this shit that you're distracted from building your cellar because your busy with a bowling alley. Man, I really made some bad life choices.

14. Brubaker

Brubaker

Ambient for now. Never got above 65 before I insulated the room. We'll see how it goes this summer. I did a run ducting just in case I ever want to add a cooling unit.

15. Brubaker

Brubaker

Well the bowling alley will be in the guest estate. :D I was kidding about the bowling alley since the butcher block looked like a lane from the photo angle.

ehammond1 and Tlo4sho like this.
  16. Brubaker

Brubaker

Ready to stain.

There will be a third shelf, but this give an idea of how it will look. 6' long.
    [​IMG]

Yes, the garage is a disaster.

Beer4B, mateoloco, libbey and 20 others like this.
  17. bwcampbell

bwcampbell

So, Columbus TB share when this is done?

18. coldstorage

coldstorage

Tlo4sho and Brubaker like this.
  19. Brubaker

Brubaker

absolutely!

20. drinkypoo

drinkypoo Previously FEUO

Following....