Storage recommendations?

Discussion in 'Cellaring Beer' started by 50 States Quest, Oct 15, 2017.

1. 50 States Quest

50 States Quest

I'm on a quest to get my hands on a beer from every state for my husband's 50th birthday - which is in about six and a half months.

Any recommendations on how long I can store the various beers I collect before taste becomes an issue? I will be storing the beer in a basement closet - about 60 degrees and dark. He prefers IPAs, but I'll be collecting whatever I can get!

KevSal, Tlo4sho, Gene and 1 other person like this.
  2. tosh

tosh

3. tikk

tikk

[​IMG]
    Welcome to Talkbeer!

4. iong516

iong516

I store saisons and lambic in my closet, and my window AC unit probably keeps the temperature like - kinda stable? The beer will be fine, but IPAs are generally better fresh.

KevSal, Gene and BelgianChris like this.
  5. 50 States Quest

50 States Quest

Thanks, iong516. What would you consider fresh? Should I start collecting two months out? One month? Thank you!

KevSal, Gene and Photekut like this.
  6. ant880

ant880

Speaking of states, what did Delaware?

....her New Jersey!

[​IMG]

7. JulianB

JulianB

Despite what some people will tell you, there are a lot of IPAs that will stay good for 1-2 months or even longer if they are kept cold in the fridge. I wouldn't have too high of hopes if you're storing them at room temp in a basement. Maybe if you work on getting them a month out they would still be okay.

You're better off doing this with almost any other style of beers but IPAs/pale hoppy beers. Does your husband like stouts, porters, sour ales, barleywines, saisons? Those would all be good choices for this.

nanobrew, KevSal, Tlo4sho and 3 others like this.
  8. Gene

Gene

Well for your husband's sake, I'm glad you decided to ask us before storing IPAs in a closet for 4-6 months! IPAs are always best when extremely fresh. As JulianB pointed out, some can be still alright when not extremely fresh, if kept cold. Keep in mind - this doesn't mean 1-2 months from the store shelf, but rather 1-2 months from packaging, best-case.

Anyway, as Julian also said, almost any other style will fare better over time than IPAs and pale ales. If he only likes hoppy beer, you may want to rethink the strategy a bit. If he likes other styles too, focus on collecting those now, and arrange for some fresh shipments from friends/family/etc. who live in states where you are getting any hoppy stuff closer to the date in question, as well as a fridge to keep the hoppy stuff until the day arrives.

Very nice thing you're doing for your husband! Hope this is helpful.

9. iong516

iong516

Also to consider - is your husband a big 'beer guy'? For me I prefer my family not give me beer and glassware as I have enough as it is. Just something to consider if he already is collecting stuff on his own.

KevSal likes this.
  10. 50 States Quest

50 States Quest

Great advice, JulianB. He also enjoys stouts and porters so they might be good options for the more difficult to find states that I will be collecting a little earlier. I will definitely take this into consideration.

11. stakem

stakem

Ive been exchanging boxes of beer with people all over the world for about a decade now and I dont think ive had a beer from every state....

If you can pull this off in 6 short months, I say go for it...6 month old ipas or not thats an awesone gift.

sliverx, libbey, KevSal and 11 others like this.
  12. stakem

stakem

Also curious what your username is going to change to once you tick off this quest.

BigFrank, sliverx, Stubs and 5 others like this.
  13. 50 States Quest

50 States Quest

Thanks, stakem! I've been planning for about six months already and am antsy to actually start collecting in the six months I have left. For the tougher states I think I'm going to start sooner rather than later.

Overall, it's been an incredibly interesting (and frustrating) journey. We'll see if I can actually pull it off. I appreciate your support and the advice of all those on this forum.

14. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels

15. wyatt

wyatt

What are his favorite beers? Does he like local beer or does he go to specialty shops always looking for “rare” beer.

Also what states do you need help with? I’m sure we can help.

16. 50 States Quest

50 States Quest

Thanks for your support, wyatt!

I don't think either my husband or I could name a single rare beer, so I definitely wouldn't call him a rare beer guy!! Our vacations always involve a brewery stop where he can try a flight/sampler of local beers. He loves the variety and experience. That's actually what gave me the 50 beers idea. How much more variety can you get than 50 totally random beers with styles from across the nation?!

I'm making fantastic progress on finding sources for the beer. I had essentially given up and thought the project would be impossible, but I'm down to just a couple states that I haven't sourced yet.

I don't have any leads on New Jersey at all. Maine and possibly Alabama may also cause some trouble. Overall, though, I'm hopeful!

KevSal likes this.
  17. iong516

iong516

Jersey and Maine should be easy enough, I can ship a Jersey can or something if you like, and Allagash is all over the place.

BigFrank, KevSal and souredstouts like this.
  18. 50 States Quest

50 States Quest

I would never turn down help, especially with New Jersey! It looks like Flying Fish has a pretty wide distribution network - but nothing that I can find in the Pacific Northwest (I live in central Washington).

I think you're right about Maine - I should definitely be able to find an Allagash. Thanks for this suggestion! Also, I've found that Shipyard does make it to Seattle and Portland, OR.

Photekut likes this.
  19. iong516

iong516

I'm certain I can walk into the beer store across from my apt and find something from NJ, message me if you want a beer for cost and a shipping label.

souredstouts and Photekut like this.
  20. palmej1

palmej1

Same here for Alabama beer, just let me know.