Stout without Roast Barley (only choco malt)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PDXAmbassador1

Reaction score
Questions for y'all:

(1) Has anyone made a stout using all chocolate / carafa malts. and NO roast barley?

(2) Any guesses what the flavor profile would be? I'm going for more chocolate, and less coffee/roast...

(3) Here's a recipe I'm considering making, if you wanna give feedback:

Malt Bill
15 lb Pale Ale Malt - 3.5°L
5 lb Dark Munich Malt - 20L
0.75 lb Carafa III - 525L
0.75 lb Carafa I - 337L
0.75 lb Chocolate, Pale – 215°L
1 lb Caramel - 45L

Size 5-gallon
O.G. 1.115
F.G. 1.035
ABV 12%
IBU 50 (bittering at 120 minutes w/German Magnum)
SRM 60 L
Yeast: 50/50 mix of British & clean american strains

Probably will add some light-roasted cocoa nibs, a vanilla bean, maybe touch of bourbon oak. Going for chocolatey flavor.

ITS A PORTER!!! :mad::mad::mad::(:mad:

Should be fine. Enjoy!

Yeah . . . what you got there is a porter, son.

Echoing those above, that's looking awful Imperial Porter-like IMO!

Haha I am aware that according to some folks, technically a stout includes roast barley, a porter doesn't....

But I saw a couple years ago a "porter" with only 2lb dark chocolate malt and I roast barley, won awards in the Russian Imperial Stout category at NHC! Apparently the difference in flavors can be indecipherable? I just haven't been able to find what the differences are!

If using dark chocolate malts in place of roast barley, could it be possibly have a profile that's more chocolatey (more "American double stout") and less coffee (less "RIS"-like)? Or do you think that it'd be missing something critical in the flavor profile? In which case I can switch out the Carafa 3 for roast barley.

These huge beers are expensive and time-intensive (especially for my little BIAB setup) so I appreciate help before I go for it! :)

If you really want a chocolate bomb then a chocolate adjunct might be the way to go. I know that Rogue uses a syrup in their chocolate beers and that seems to work well. Might make it easier to deal with for your BIAB set up.

I typically try to "blend" my malt flavors a little bit, which, in my mind, makes for a smoother flavor. So instead of using 1lb of Crystal 60 I'll use some 30 and 60 to get a similar effect. Though you probably won't taste it in this beer. I also like to add a tiny bit of Special B (an ounce or two) which can add a slight "plum flavor" to help smooth out a strong acrid/burnt flavor from all of your dark malts.

Without some roasted barley to give it some roasted flavor it's going to taste like what people consider a porter rather than a stout. That's not necessarily bad; it just depends on what flavors you want in the beer.

If you want more of a chocolate flavor and less aggressive roast I would opt for a combination of roasted barley, chocolate malt, chocolate wheat (which is the closest to chocolate any grain tastes IMO) and a chocolate adjunct.

You also want to watch your water profile to avoid too much calcium and keep a relatively high ph. Chocolate malt plus too much calcium plus a low ph is a recipe for an ashy stout. I'd target 5.4-5.5 ph, chloride over sulfate and only enough calcium to hit ph. That will avoid ashiness and also bring out the sweeter flavors in the roasted grain over the harsher roast element.

dimensionx thanks brother! I have some caramel malts in the 120-160 range I could use a bit, like you use Special B. And I do have a Cara 20 and Cara 55 I think, might be better than all Cara 45? I may make some grain teas to taste the diff.

reverseapachemaster thanks for this good info. I will indeed add some fun artisan roasted cocoa nibs I happen to have on hand, to bring out the cocoa aromas, as well as a hint of vanilla bean.

And I will go easy on the Baking Soda in the Mash (think a 1/4 tsp maybe would be right?).

For better or worse, I only have access to spring water, with unknown calcium content. That being the case, think I should add a bit of calcium chloride to hedge my bets?

Seems like a lot of Carafa. Try using some midnight wheat in there if you are looking for color. Also I'm a fan of doing a blend of chocolate and pale chocolate malts.

If you really want a chocolate bomb then a chocolate adjunct might be the way to go. I know that Rogue uses a syrup in their chocolate beers and that seems to work well. Might make it easier to deal with for your BIAB set up.

I use this and/or cocoa powder with very good results:

SO-NMV406-PAR-2.jpg

You can find it at most groceries.

Back