Talk Beer Homebrew Club - Competition #6: Fermented at the Bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you plan to compete in TBHC Competition #6: Dat Lager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Beerontwowheels

Reaction score
Lets do something outside our norm! Competition #6 is all about dat LAGER. What do I mean by lager? Well, let's start with bottom fermented. True, not all lagers are bottom fermented, but for this competition, these beers should be.

If you're interested in participating, read below for more information. Also, use the poll to indicate your intentions to participate.

This competition will be a bit looser than our last (#5) in that it is a free-for-all, as long as your beer is:

1) Bottom Fermented
2) Falls under a BJCP 'lager' category​

Examples:
  • Light Lager
  • Pilsner
  • European Amber Lager
  • Dark Lager
  • Bock
Shipping deadline will be 03/25/2016. That should afford everyone ample time to brew, lager, bottle conditions, etc.

Entry to this competition ends in 60 days. The competition will take place assuming we have 6 or more participants.

Want to hopefully get into one of these comps, but I do not have the capability to Lager so I am out of this one

The Brewing Network's Mike "Tasty" McDole has a method for making lagers that doesn't involve lagering.

http://southhousepilotbrewery.blogspot.com/2013/09/lager-fermentation-experiments-intro.html

Might be worth a shot if you want to experiment with it. It would also be interesting to see how a lager made in this method lines up against a traditionally made lager.

Want to hopefully get into one of these comps, but I do not have the capability to Lager so I am out of this one
It gets cold in Chicago right? You have anything like a basement or garage that will hit the 40-50° mark? That will work well enough.

I've only brewed lagers twice. I'm in this to have fun.

My garage does get pretty cold, but I dont know if it stays consistently the same temp

I did an experiment last winter, I kept a rubbermaid trash can in my garage, filled with water, then put a carboy in it. When you fill a trash can with water it helps to hold the temp pretty well even if there are fairly large swings outside. I am in colorado so the temperature outside was anything between mid 60's and low 20's but I was able to keep the water at a fairly consistent 48F. If it gets too warm you can add cold water, if it gets too cold you can add warm water. The energy transfer of water to water is much more efficient than air to water so it really doesn't take too much water to adjust it a couple of degrees either way.

I did an experiment last winter, I kept a rubbermaid trash can in my garage, filled with water, then put a carboy in it. When you fill a trash can with water it helps to hold the temp pretty well even if there are fairly large swings outside. I am in colorado so the temperature outside was anything between mid 60's and low 20's but I was able to keep the water at a fairly consistent 48F. If it gets too warm you can add cold water, if it gets too cold you can add warm water. The energy transfer of water to water is much more efficient than air to water so it really doesn't take too much water to adjust it a couple of degrees either way.
This is my plan.

yeahsciencebitch.PNG

Classic gif for classic situation

Fermented from the bottom...

giphy.gif

now we here...

giphy.gif

Way ahead of you, Os!

Fermented at the bottom now it’s beer
Fermented at the bottom now my whole batch f’n beer
Fermented at the bottom now the whole batch beer, lager

I kept it all grain from the starter
Brewing at my Papa’s house, we’d argue every lauter
Lager, I was trying to do it on my own
Boiling all night, just trying to avoid the foam
And my brother calling me like ‘IBUs?’
I gave you all the hops but I didn't tell you when to use
Lager, I just think it’s funny cuz it’s slow
Now I’m chilling with my pump, maintaining even flow

And I…

Brewers tell stories about my mash
Say it never stuck, always decoct’d, yo, that’s false
I infuse on occasion, even known to use some salts
Now the pH is steady and them enzymes doing work
60 minutes later and Im finna let it perc
Lager, just as a reminder to myself
No off flavors cuz I'm all about yeast health

I need to try making another batch. The first one I made ended up being a buttery mess. I ended up dumping about 3 gallons that I had kegged.

sigh. i wanted to brew a rauchbier for this...but my local water profile is not allowing me to do so.

i need a **** ton of alkalinity.

:(

Looks like I'm going to have to have to drop out of this one :( Over extended myself in brewing for my club's competiton/NHC and I won't have the keezer available for lager fermentation until some time in February.

I'm out too. Had big plans to brew up a doppelbock, but **** if I've had time lately. And when I have time, I just need to rest/relax as I'm a worn out sonuvabitch.

welp. im out. this data center migration is getting the best of my time...

UNLESS....we push the due date back another month. LOL

I'm out too. Had big plans to brew up a doppelbock, but **** if I've had time lately. And when I have time, I just need to rest/relax as I'm a worn out sonuvabitch.
But you're our fearless leader. :(

Sounds like we need to scrap this round and try again in a month or so for a different style?

Dang, my lager is just finishing primary fermentation and tasting pretty clean. I was going to check for terminal, last check it was sitting at 1.010 and then do a little transfer under pressure to my keg for dry-hopping and lagering. But if you all want to scrap this one I am okay as I think I will have no problem drinking this one myself.

Shipping deadline will be 03/25/2016. That should afford everyone ample time to brew, lager, bottle conditions, etc

Bump, I am assuming this is a no go but I just pulled the dry hops off my lager and the uncarbed sample was tasting pretty good so I figured I would double check.

Bump, I am assuming this is a no go but I just pulled the dry hops off my lager and the uncarbed sample was tasting pretty good so I figured I would double check.
Seems that way. I never got to brew up my doppelbock.

Back