Talk Beer Homebrew Club Competition - Saison - Head Count and General Overview

Discussion in 'Brewing & Beer Knowledge' started by Beerontwowheels, Apr 24, 2014.

?

Will you be participating in the TBHC Saison Competition

Poll closed May 1, 2014.
  1. Yes - I will have my beers submitted to the hub by June 27th

61.5%
  2. No - Maybe next comp though

38.5%
  1. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels

This poll is open to members of the Talk Beer Homebrew Club. If you are not a member,please do not vote (your vote will not be counted). PM me if you wish to join the club.

This thread is to discuss everything related to the TBHC Saison Competition. Please use the poll to indicate if you plan on submitting a saison so we can get an early head count. Your votes will help with planning and logistics for the competition.

Here's some general reminders to read before you vote:

1) All submissions need to be delivered to the hub (Zapy) by June 27th.
    2) All entries should be bottled using 12oz/375ml bottles. C&C or capped is up to you.
    3) You must provide a FedEx/UPS Label within your box so it can be returned to you.
    4) You must judge each beer & return scores to the competition organizer (me) by the deadline (TBD)
    5) Instructions for labeling your bottles will be available once we have a final list of participants.
    6) Once we have a final head count, the number of bottles necessary for submission will be announced. You should be prepared to send up to 12 bottles out. If you don't have that many bottles available, contact me. We may have to wait list you to see how many bottles are necessary.

I'll post more guidelines in this thread as necessary. This is what I could think of at the moment.

I do not want to deter anyone from entering this competition. but I'm geniunely hoping entries top out at 13 people. If we have more than that we need to all come together and figure out shipping logistics and judging.

If you have any questions about the competition, post 'em here. We can address them as they come in.

Cheers guys!

2. Zapy

Zapy

I'm ready

Beerontwowheels likes this.
  3. stakem

stakem

Just thinking about the multiple etries per person factor here. For the sake of simplicity, would it be smart to say for this first competition, keep it to 1 entry per person?

Im glad im not the hub, surely id fuck it up and send beers to the wrong people. I think ive already got this mentally fucked up in how it could work for multiple entries.

This is my thought process...everyone get ready for a laugh. To dumb it down, if there are 5 people participating but 1 person wants to enter 2 beers. That person would need to send in 8 total beers (4 of each entry.) However, everyone else only sends in 4 total beers but the folks who only sent in 4 will have 5 beers to judge while the guy who sent in 2 entries will have 4 beers to judge.

Zapy and Beerontwowheels like this.
  4. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels

For simplicity's sake, we are sticking to 1 entry per person. If we have fewer than 13 competitors, we can use a lottery to determine, who, if anybody, is permitted to submit more than 1 entry. Also, see here. ;)

And yeah, Zapy has his work cut out for him.

yourefragile and Zapy like this.
  5. stakem

stakem

You know...ive honestly thought ive read every reply about this across all the threads but somehow missed that particular post. Thanks for making me feel like a tool.

Reporting myself.

Beerontwowheels likes this.
  6. ncaudle

ncaudle

probably going to vote to wait till next time as I don't have many bottles to send out (I brew small batches...)

7. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels

Bottle in those 7oz nips! :D

Edit: Like this

8. quirkzoo

quirkzoo

Do we have a deadline for entering? I am definitely interested but just had something come up on my planned brewday so I am not sure if I will get a brew in on time.

9. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels

I'd say May 10th is a good deadline to get in on this. If you haven't brewed by that date, I doubt you'd have a beer ready and delivered by June 27th.

quirkzoo likes this.
  10. quirkzoo

quirkzoo

Sounds good to me, I will definitely know before that day.

11. fletch

fletch

I will definatly be entering. Brew day planned for next weekend.

12. Five28 hz

Five28 hz

I'm putting an "extra" (commercial bottle) in my box for you volunteering to be the hub without the threat of water boarding. I suggest everyone else do the same, this guy is doing the most work.

Indytruks138, Zapy, Pneill316 and 3 others like this.
  13. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels

True, but Zapy is also saving a shit load in shipping! ;) Dem hub benefits!

Zapy likes this.
  14. Zapy

Zapy

Anal retentive engineers... gluttons for pain right?

I'm more than happy to take care of this, plenty of basement space to organize everything. Also happen to live at the crossroads of america so shipping is not going to be rapey.

It'll be fun for me. Just got to make sure I drive around with the live yeast sample boxes, don't want to upset fedex

Pneill316 and Beerontwowheels like this.
  15. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels

Yeah, I think twelve sloshing boxes might tip them off. Good idea.

16. Zapy

Zapy

I'm trying to decide if I want to brew a new batch or just bottle the fourth incarnation of my sour saison that's been aging for about 12 months... May have to pull those gooseberries out of the freezer for this one

Thorpe429 and Pneill316 like this.
  17. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels

You should send a mixture of both so we can all wonder why our notes for your bottles are completely different. 'Exquisitely clean saison, bone dry with notes of clove, bubble gum and peppercorns' vs. 'Surprisingly tart and full of funk, clearly a masterpiece born from years of experience working with yeast and bacteria.' srs.

18. Snarf

Snarf

Damn it, I'm in. I don't have anything in 12oz bottles right now and I have three beers I have to make before I can brew a saison, but what the hell.

Beerontwowheels, Thorpe429 and stakem like this.
  19. Zapy

Zapy

Hahaha

I'm expecting more like, aroma - reminicent of a sweaty mouse that has rummaged around a field of manure for three days

Beerontwowheels and Five28 hz like this.
  20. Five28 hz

Five28 hz

To those who cork and cage bottles of homebrew, do you own a floor corker or is there an easier (reads cheaper) alternative to cork bottles?