Tampa and St. Pete beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HevvyMetalHippie

Reaction score
Im headed to this area this Friday, and only have time to hit a few places. I'll be with the GF, so I can't do everything. I'm thinking

CCB (there's the brewery and the tasting room, what do you suggest?)
Pegs/Cycle
Rapp
Green Bench
Coppertail

Is there a cool beer bar in the area that I can try a bunch of stuff? Any solid places to eat? I'll have a rental car so I can get around a little bit, but probably within the cities/metro area is as far as I'll be able to go due to time constraints.

Or for that matter what about any non beer related stuff, someone down there mentioned something about a sunken garden?

Im headed to this area this Friday, and only have time to hit a few places. I'll be with the GF, so I can't do everything. I'm thinking

CCB (there's the brewery and the tasting room, what do you suggest?)
Pegs/Cycle
Rapp
Green Bench
Coppertail

Is there a cool beer bar in the area that I can try a bunch of stuff? Any solid places to eat? I'll have a rental car so I can get around a little bit, but probably within the cities/metro area is as far as I'll be able to go due to time constraints.

Or for that matter what about any non beer related stuff, someone down there mentioned something about a sunken garden?

Sunken Gardens is right down the street from Cycle/Green Bench/Flying Pig Taphouse.

Ccb' brewery and tasting room are the same place.

Pm incoming.

Besides the obvious ones you mentioned, Angry Chair is a must imo. They are making some great stouts and if I had only a few breweries to choose from I'd make that one of my stops. I'd rank them Cigar City, Cycle, Rapp, Angry Chair, Coppertail, 7venth Sun, and Green Bench. Btw, you might be able to still get Rare Dos at Cycle through the weekend as well.

In terms of restaurants and bars, a few I'd recommend are Datz, Mr. Dunderbaks, Peg's, Engine no.9, Urban BBQ, the Independent, Willards, Hops and Props. I actually prefer the St. Pete food and beer scene but there's plenty of places to go all around the Tampa area.

Thanks for the tips, fellas.
I'll be chiming in again as we get closer to March to see if things still stand.

And NO I'm not going to Huna Day. I think we roll into town (Bradenton) that day and trip is primarily a family venture.
But I will make one day to get around to a bunch of spots so if anyone has an ideal route that would be great. :)

Good times hanging with kirbmeist and ZackB yesterday at CCB/Cycle. Engine 9 Burgers ain't nothin to **** with and dat Rye BA Stout

And don't sleep on the sriracha wings. I'm usually there with someone else and we will each get a burger and split an order of the sriracha wings.

Any of you northerners know if rare dos bottles are still at cycle?

Probably not, I don't remember when they were but it feels like a long time ago.

Any of you northerners know if rare dos bottles are still at cycle?

Probably not, I don't remember when they were but it feels like a long time ago.

Nah, they've been sold out for awhile. The 4 roses stout might still be on for pours, but that's about it.

Thread necro! Has 7venth Sun opened their Tampa location? I see references to it on other websites, but no mention of it on the brewery's page. I've got an afternoon to kill in Tampa tomorrow and trying to figure out where I'll go.

Thread necro! Has 7venth Sun opened their Tampa location? I see references to it on other websites, but no mention of it on the brewery's page. I've got an afternoon to kill in Tampa tomorrow and trying to figure out where I'll go.
Just go to st pete, it's more fun. In fact go to safety harbor and hit up Crooked Thumb, chill out on the picnic tables outside and live in a little slice of americana for a couple hours.

Not yet. Just go to Angry Chair.

Hey all. Will be spending a day in Tampa/St. Pete in late May at the tail end of a vacation. With only a day to work with (we're staying in Tampa that night though), trying to figure out the best plan of action. CCB will most likely be our first stop since they open at noon on Tuesdays, and Angry Chair and Cycle are the others at the top of our list. Green Bench looks like a quick walk from Cycle, might as well hit that too? Is Coppertail still a thing?

Hey all. Will be spending a day in Tampa/St. Pete in late May at the tail end of a vacation. With only a day to work with (we're staying in Tampa that night though), trying to figure out the best plan of action. CCB will most likely be our first stop since they open at noon on Tuesdays, and Angry Chair and Cycle are the others at the top of our list. Green Bench looks like a quick walk from Cycle, might as well hit that too? Is Coppertail still a thing?

Don't sleep on Coppertail, its always worth a visit. CCB opens at 11am weekdays, and they start filling the Tuesday growler at noon, but you can have them put a crowler in line for you if you show up earlier. Angry Chair and Cycle for sure, I'm not a big Green Bench guy.

I'd head to Ybor and have lunch, then you're just a stone's throw away from Coppertail.

Green Bench has a great environment. Nice outdoor seating area and indoor has plenty of TV's and A/C to watch sports/etc. They have a collab w/ Against the Grain on (and possibly still in cans) called Surrealist which is a dry hopped sour that is legit out of this world good. Their beers have improved dramatically over the past year or so. Right across the street is a PHENOMENAL little place called Bodega serving amazing sandwiches and the like.

Oh and when in St. Pete don't miss Hops and Props or Ale and the Witch. Great little beer bars w/ nice outdoor seating.

Last edited:
The beer hasn't changed, our palates just finally caught up to Green Bench.

Tampa Bay craft beer drinkers 3 years ago

174152_o.gif

Tampa Bay craft beer drinkers now

3vl3Vh.gif

What's up everyone? Going to be on vacation visiting my sister and brother-in-law who live in Tampa from April 20-26th. I know that I will be hitting CCB & Angry Chair for sure, and from the sounds of it, should be swinging through Cycle and Coppertail as well.

Just wondering if any day is better than others to hit any of these places (food trucks, events, bottle releases etc.) or if I should just hit them all whenever I can.

Food recommendations are always welcomed as well!

Also looking for some advice on other cool stuff to do while I'm down there.

Thanks in advance!

A friend of mine is in St. Pete now and was asking me about 3 Daughters and Mastry's. I haven't seen anything about either one here. He said they are walking around near Cycle today and were looking for other places nearby. I suggested Green Bench based on some of the posts here, thanks.

A friend of mine is in St. Pete now and was asking me about 3 Daughters and Mastry's. I haven't seen anything about either one here. He said they are walking around near Cycle today and were looking for other places nearby. I suggested Green Bench based on some of the posts here, thanks.

Engine No. 9 is my favorite place to eat at when I'm in St. Pete. Amazing burgers and the sriracha wings are incredible. Pretty good draft selection too. It's 4-5 blocks from Cycle.

I personally really enjoy Mastry's. It's out towards the beach so a good 20 min drive or so from downtown Saint Pete. It has a great vibe w/ outdoor seating and the beer isn't decent. 3 Daughters isn't really worth the visit, imo. Engine 9 as CaptainFleeker stated is fantastic. There's not a lot super close to Cycle except for those two and maybe Green Bench and The Independent (bar w good draft/bottle selection). Farther down Central is Cage Brewing which is pretty decent. If he makes it to that area then he could hit up Right Around the Corner (good drafts and it's a "gaming bar"), Dog Bar, and PAWs. Hawthorne Bottle shop is a little farther down Central from even those locations but always has a rotating JWakefield draft on.

If he goes the opposite direction, farther towards downtown, Hops and Props and Ale and the Witch are my two favorite bars period. Hops is an absolute must.

Back