TBHC 8 - Virgin Free for All - Entry #10 Review Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldcrash1

Reaction score
Here’s your thread for beer #10 reviews.

Scoring should give consideration to how much you enjoy the beer, as well as the beer’s adherence to the declared style and the presence/ absence of any technical flaws. After all, this is a competition to showcase our brewing skill and ability, and adherence to prescribed parameters is a great way to showcase that. But what’s the point in brewing a technically perfect true to style beer if it’s not also enjoyable to drink?

Feel free to refer to the BJCP Scoresheet for guidance and descriptors.

And here’s a link to the BJCP style guidelines for anyone who wants to brush up on a given style.

For entries without any declared style, you can assume the brewer would like their beer to be judged 100% hedonistically.

50 total points

Aroma/12
Appearance/3
Flavor/20
Mouthfeel/5
Overall Impression/10

Last edited by a moderator:
First ever BJCP-style review. So take with a grain of salt :)
enhance

Aroma: Sweet maltiness with a very slight bready note. Earthy and Pine Hop notes. Not tons of aroma but could be due to my Chicago-winter runny nose (literally almost got lightheaded trying to detect aroma) 9/12

Appearance: Deep Gold or Amber color, long lasting white head, probably not the clearest czech lager to ever be produced but not a hazeeee bro either 1/3

Flavor: Some caramel/honey sweetness, not a ton of yeast character (which I think is a good thing for this style), and I detected some diacetyl / fruity esters (but again, that's to style). A little more hop bitterness than I typically like in my czech lagers but very piney and earthy (simcoe or german hop?) 15/20

Mouthfeel: Light-medium or medium body, good sweetness, but a good amount of either hop or carbonation burn 3/5

Overall: Definitely crushable, I would be very happy with this one. A little boozier and hoppier than I would've expected from the style but tasty enough to take down six or more in a night ;) 8/10

Total: 36/50

2JDJLRE.jpg

Aroma: Floral and earthy hops and light caramel. Bit of green apple. Although I know they are appropriate in the style in small amounts, fruity esters give a similar impression to an ale ferment. Bit of oxidative character.

8/12

App: Amber/dark gold body with a bone white head. A bit darker than typical for the style. Relatively clear with a slight haze.

1/3

Taste: Mild malt and bitter hop character. Hop flavor leans further towards pine than the earth and spice I typically get from European hops, but I don’t mind it! Light honey on the finish. Higher levels of esters than I would expect once again in the finish.

11/20

Mouthfeel: Soft and airy with a lower than usual carb for the style and a medium body. Think you drilled the water and it would have been fiyahhhh with a bit more carb.

3/5

Overall: Interested to see process here! Ticked a lot of boxes of the style, but if I had to guess maybe fermented a little hot? Also interested to see if you might have used American hops!
6/10

29/50

Aroma: Slight caramel present. Stronger presence of earthy to piney hops. The hop character blends with a bit of acetaldehyde and yeast esters. Too much fermentation derived aroma. (7/12)

Appearance: Orange rather than a degree of gold, so slightly too dark for the style. That darkness may be being emphasized/enhanced by the degree of haziness that's present. Head formation and retention are both great. (1/3)

Flavor: Malt profile features some more bready notes (which I'd expect for the style) than the nose, but there's still maybe just a little more caramel sweetness present than normal for the style. Hop bitterness is sharp. Finish is more dominated by the hops, with less fermentation character than the nose. (13/20)

Mouthfeel: A little more chewy/full bodied that I'd like, though the carbonation level seems appropriately spritzy for the style. (3/5)

Overall: Not a bad effort, and a drinkable beer. Biggest issue for me is the amount of fermentation character present. I would also note the amount of malt in the flavor profile and that the beer just comes across as a little bit bigger/richer/more intense than I'd anticipate for 3A. On the plus side I thought both the carbonation and balance of hop bitterness/flavor were pretty spot on. (6/10)

30/50

wDRPjpj.jpg

Aroma - first thing that hits is hops, a bit catty, a bit of booze when swirled 7/12

Appearance - golden like a west coast IPA, nice white head that sticks around for a bit a slowly recedes to a rim around the glass 1/3

Flavor - great bittering presence, spicy hop character, maybe a late hop or dry hop in there, malt richness is great, a hint of booze on the back end 13/20

Mouthfeel - good body, tad high on the carb 3/5

Overall Impression - while this is a fine beer I just wouldn’t label it as a Czech lager. It didn’t have any lager yeast character to it as the hops were main stage. 5/10

29/50

25l51pp.jpg

Apologies for the **** photo. Cant seem to get my phone camera right.

Aroma: estery sweetness and citrusy hops up front. Citrus dominates the nose. 5/12

Appearance: hazy, cloudy, light orange. 1/3

Flavor: slightly sweet. Bitter honeysuckle. Mildly bready and estery. Not strikingly lager-like. 9/20

Mouthfeel: medium to high carb, thick mouthfeel. 2/5

Overall: this is not a bad beer at all. It has a pleasant hoppy and citrusy aroma and smooth taste, but its miles away from any kind of lager. 4/10

21/50

Aroma 4/12
Big time fruity esters with some oxidized sweet malt character, and citrus/earthy hops backing it up.
Appearance 2/3
Golden with hued with a hint of orange/red, slightly hazy with a very vigorous head.
Flavor 7/20
Flavor is dominated by the fruity esters and some acetaldehyde, citrusy hop character holding it down as well, a bit oxidized but not too bad. Style guideline says that some unfermented malt character is acceptable but this seemed like too much or maybe a bit heavy on crystal malts. Sweet malt character together with the esters hurt this one for me.
Mouthfeel 4/5
Medium bodied and very carbonated, seems accurate for the style.
Overall Impression 5/10
The hop character was definitely the highlight here, but it seems like there was a fermentation issue that caused a few problems.

22/50

As someone who has been following along, i have to say people
Are slow to sample and post this round. It seems this round has really dragged it out.

Some of the beers might have been better a few months back at thia point.

Not a criticism, but for sure an observation. I followed all the original posts as I love this kind of set of posts, but it seems not to have ignited for even the people who send and recieved things.

Totally. Unexpectedly moving in the middle of the competition didn't do my review timeline any favors, but yeah, seems like lots of others are in the same boat. I would be curious to see any recent reviews of my beer because I ****ed up and drank them all already.

Totally. Unexpectedly moving in the middle of the competition didn't do my review timeline any favors, but yeah, seems like lots of others are in the same boat. I would be curious to see any recent reviews of my beer because I ****ed up and drank them all already.
Learn your lesson. Send me more of your beer. Totally srs.

Appearance: Opens with an assertive hiss. Lively carb demands a slow pour, eventually yielding a crystal clear dark gold to orange with a fluffy bone white head. Gorgeous beer, even if a bit dark for the style. 2/3

Aroma: Prevalent hop aromas reveal themselves even as I pour: candied lemon, pine, a hint of cat piss. Not what I’d expect for the style, but I must say I already ****ing love this beer. 8/12

Taste: Bready malt and citrus are well integrated. Definitely some fermentation character coming through, more than I’d expect in a lager. Still though, I enjoy. Maybe just a bit of wet cardboard? Probably my bad for not opening sooner. 15/20

Mouthfeel: That fine and creamy carbonation pushes it a bit fuller than typical. 3/5

Overall: Wood bang repeatedly. Hits a few of the style points but also is a stark departure in some ways. Interested to hear more about this beer- process, ingredients and intention. 8/10

Total: 36/50

So, this was my entry and my first stab at a lager. I rarely brew to style and usually go with what I like. I initially was going to stick to style guidelines but said eff that. Here's the recipe:

(Link to media)

I think the ferm issue was that I started it on the warm (65) side to get it going quickly but was at the low 50s the rest of the time.

Latest posts

Back