TBHC - Hansen Ale Blend Comp - Entry #10 Review Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vogt52

Reaction score
Homebrew competition thread for Hansen Ale Blend Comp entry #10

Aroma: apple, pear, acetylhide galore, caramel, very cider like - 3

Appearance: hazy orange, good head, decent lacing

Flavor: sour apple (acetylhide), pear, caramel, white bread - 6

Mouthfeel: Gusher, way over carbed, decent viscosity - 2

Overall: Total gusher, tons of acetylhide, decent at best. Most likely a victim of the heat, which sucks. - 4

18/50

C2121928-6D03-45B5-ACFD-248B0108446F_zpstjgqqilr.jpg

Aroma: Green apple, spun sugar. Not quite phenolic but has some qualities that register as Belgian to me? Interested to see what temp this was fermented at. Guessing a little on the higher side.
5/12

Appearance: Hazy burnt orange body topped with a wispy head that recedes to a ring around the glass in about 30. No lacing.

1/3

Flavor: More green apple followed by potent caramel sweetness. Still getting a lot of Belgisn character out of this for some reason. Would call it a Tripel or something along those lines if I didn't already know what yeast you had used. Odd ester profile and a lingering sweetness not jiving with my palate.

7/20

Mouthfeel: High carb and a moderate body. Would have preferred lower carb.

2/5

Overall: Odd beer that may have just been crushed by shipping. The lingering sweetness, high carb, and Belgian-like esters didn't really meld for me.

4/10

19/50

20160720_201814_zpsip9u3ho7.jpg

Aroma: Slight toffee up front, mildly burnt malts, caramel, tart apples, green apple. A lot of apple, almost cider-like 4/12

Appearance: Light red/dark orange, very little head, no lacing, and gushed when opened 1/3

Flavor: Slightly burnt malt, toffee, butterscotch, bittersweetness, malty body. Breadiness. Sweet and Sour apples coming through strong 6/20

Mouthfeel: Only slightly carbed. Initial gush from opening bottle had me thinking otherwise at first. Thin on the mouthfeel. 1/3

Overall: I don't think shipping/heat had anything to do with the outcome of this one, I think this beer was rushed. Tastes very underfinished. Acetaldehyde is very prominent on this one. It almost had a cider like quality to it. Again, I'm going to guess that whoever made this was in a rush to get it out for the comp and didn't let it sit during secondary long enough.
2/10

14/50

excuse the drying laundry lol

IMG_1257.JPG

aroma: black cherries, plums and hawaiian punch...im intrigued - 6.5
appearance: apple juice w/ a half finger head. yep. looks like beer - 2
flavor: tastes like ripening figs....not getting any specific malt or hop character in this beer. so weird, but im enjoying it - 15
mouthfeel: decent carb, very dry and thin - 1.5
overall: im lost on this...tastes like an amber that had an affair with belgian yeast. pretty offbeat, yet i appreciate it - 5

TOTAL: 30

Px2vDroh.jpg

Aroma: Tons of esters. Smells more like a juice drink and less like a beer. Not unpleasant, but caught me off guard.

6/12

Appearance: Small, wispy head. Nice color and clarity. Quite a bit of sediment in the bottom of the bottle. Glad I poured this one slow.

1/3

Flavor: Much like the aroma I'm getting a ton of fruit juice flavors. Almost no hops. If I didn't know better I'd say that this was brewed with a saison/Belgian yeast.

10/20

Mouthfeel: Very little carbonation. Slick and watery.

1/5

Overall: What a wild beer. I'm scratching my head on this one. haha.

4/10

Total: 22/50

Aroma - Apple cider, sweet almost cotton candy like and very light esters. 6/12
Appearance - Pours a bright gold with a white foam head that recedes quickly. 2/3
Flavor - Much like the aroma apple dominates the taste. A residual sweetness that lingers and a touch of alcohol. 8/20
Mouthfeel - High carbonation, light body and slick mouthfeel. 2/5
Overall Impression - Strange beer but not offensive. I doubt the shipping helped any. Not sure what style was being attempted but acetaldehyde seems to be prominent. 5/10

23/50

20160812_234729_zpspobwj2gp.jpg

Aroma - raw biscuit dough, kings sweet bread, candy corn 5/12

App - copper, some good clarity, despite the big hiss, small ring of bubbles that disappears immediately. 2/3

Taste - very malt forward, little bit of alcohol heat comes through. I have candy corn stuck on the brain, coats the tongue like a hug that lingers too long. 10/20

MF - really high carb doesn't match anything else about this beer. 2/5

Overall - reminds me of an ESB which can be a great beer when it's smooth and silky, this came across stale and harsh. 5/10

Total : 24/50

7lC81RC.jpg

Aroma - Medicinal, Floral, Herbal. Reminds me of a noble hop. Some malt sweetness. 5/12
Appearance - Golden Copper with a 2finger spritzy white head. 2/3
Flavor - Apple/herbal/floral sweetness followed by malt sweetness then some alcohol heat. 9/20
Mouthfeel - High carbonation that's prickly on the tongue. light to medium body 2/5
Overall Impression - Interesting beer. Reminds me of a English style beer but that weird apple flavor and high carbonation throws me for a loop. Not undrinkable, i'd just prefer something else. 6/10

Total: 24/50

20160817_221828_zps2scfcqdr.jpg~original

Aroma: Aroma is a little worty, smells a little sweet, getting like a candy smell, and a bready smell also. 5/12

Appearance: Copper color with a nice thick head, lasts for a good amount of time and laces nicely. little hazy. 2/3

Flavor: It is a little sweet, getting a little caramel apple thing going on, it is a little floral but very malt forward. Slight bitterness but with the high carb and sweetness it almost tastes like a belgian double. 10/20

Mouthfeel: medium body, slight sweetness on the tongue, a little over carbed. 3/5

Overall: Reminds me of a little older ESB or maybe a belgian dubbel something like that, It definitely has a belgian twang to it, Curious what temperature you fermented this at. It is certainly drinkable. But not amazing IMHO 5/10

25/50

1/3 - Slow gush out of the bottle after opening poured a cloudy amber with suprising little head for a gusher

5/12 - Tons of bubblegum, apples, esters, apple skins, floral?

10/20 - Slightly sweet, caramel apples, light bitterness

3/5 - medium body, high carb

6/10 - This is a tough one judge. If I had it completely blind I might think it was someone's stab at a belgian blonde? But knowing the yeast involved it really feels like this was not quite what you were shooting for. Definitely tastes like there were fermentation issues and possible infection. With that said, it wasn't unpleasant, just odd.

25/50

Welp, since I tortured all of you with this **** I figured I'd crack one and torture myself with my own cluster**** of a brew.

th_5D57FCAF-94BC-4E49-8766-07E08F732E7D.jpg

As pretty much everyone said, this was brewed with apples...and by apples I mean it was rushed and probably (definitely) didn't ferment totally causing acetaldehyde. I brewed this on June 3rd and surprisingly didn't take very good notes on it, I think subconsciencly I knew I would never brew something like this again (excuse #1). Recipe is:

10.5 2row
1 abbey malt (excuse #2)
.5 carapils/dextrine
.3 flaked wheat
Mashed 150°

1oz willamette @ 45" (4.1%AA)

2 vials, with a starter of MMMMBOP yeast

I didn't realize how fast this was boiling until it was too late, I didn't want it too bitter (bc I hate that/excuse #3) and I didn't want it too dark (excuse #2.1). I ended up with far less than the planned 5.5gal at the end of the boil. So here's a good idea....top that ***** off with tap water to fill to at least 5gal (excuse #4). I measured the OG (before topping off) at 1.054, so it's somewhere south of that.

...this is where I definitely stopped taking notes...

From what I can recall, I started high (for me) around 68° and raised 3-4° everyday until there was little krausen left and then crashed quickly. To be perfectly honest I needed to brew a beer that would be ready for the 4th of July right after this beer (excuse #5) so I had to push this through fermentation so it would finish and open up my primary fermenter...I didn't want to drop out of the comp (excuse #6).

Thank you all for being relatively nice and not calling me names when reviewing my beer. This is legit the first comp I've ever entered and I feel that this doesn't represent the quality I usually produce (my Pilsner for the lager comp was pretty fuggin crushable). I will take all of what I learned and keep chugging along with this great hobby.

**few things that I would like to touch on before I rest my case**
1. The few bottles that were sent that had ZERO head retention, I really don't know WTF happened there bc that is something I really try hard to accomplish with my beer. I know that this is an unshipped bottle that I'm drinking now but this is the head after 30+min after the pour of my beer:
C1874CDB-CE84-4A59-B7E6-C8F1A6731377.jpg

I really don't know what happened there, it irritates the **** outta me, and it really sucks I missed out on what little points that could have helped.
2. Abbey malt (excuse #2.2): the bin that I got this from claimed 15 lovibond, I think this may be a tad darker than that. If you read the recipe again there is not reason this beer should be as dark as it is. Maybe this plus the high ferm temp added to the Belgian character of this beer
3. Thank you SirDickButts for giving me my highest score in my first competition. Like they always say: you'll never forget your first.
4. This finished at 1.014 (excuse #7), I think this is high

Welp, since I tortured all of you with this **** I figured I'd crack one and torture myself with my own cluster**** of a brew.

th_5D57FCAF-94BC-4E49-8766-07E08F732E7D.jpg

As pretty much everyone said, this was brewed with apples...and by apples I mean it was rushed and probably (definitely) didn't ferment totally causing acetaldehyde. I brewed this on June 3rd and surprisingly didn't take very good notes on it, I think subconsciencly I knew I would never brew something like this again (excuse #1). Recipe is:

10.5 2row
1 abbey malt (excuse #2)
.5 carapils/dextrine
.3 flaked wheat
Mashed 150°

1oz willamette @ 45" (4.1%AA)

2 vials, with a starter of MMMMBOP yeast

I didn't realize how fast this was boiling until it was too late, I didn't want it too bitter (bc I hate that/excuse #3) and I didn't want it too dark (excuse #2.1). I ended up with far less than the planned 5.5gal at the end of the boil. So here's a good idea....top that ***** off with tap water to fill to at least 5gal (excuse #4). I measured the OG (before topping off) at 1.054, so it's somewhere south of that.

...this is where I definitely stopped taking notes...

From what I can recall, I started high (for me) around 68° and raised 3-4° everyday until there was little krausen left and then crashed quickly. To be perfectly honest I needed to brew a beer that would be ready for the 4th of July right after this beer (excuse #5) so I had to push this through fermentation so it would finish and open up my primary fermenter...I didn't want to drop out of the comp (excuse #6).

Thank you all for being relatively nice and not calling me names when reviewing my beer. This is legit the first comp I've ever entered and I feel that this doesn't represent the quality I usually produce (my Pilsner for the lager comp was pretty fuggin crushable). I will take all of what I learned and keep chugging along with this great hobby.

**few things that I would like to touch on before I rest my case**
1. The few bottles that were sent that had ZERO head retention, I really don't know WTF happened there bc that is something I really try hard to accomplish with my beer. I know that this is an unshipped bottle that I'm drinking now but this is the head after 30+min after the pour of my beer:
C1874CDB-CE84-4A59-B7E6-C8F1A6731377.jpg

I really don't know what happened there, it irritates the **** outta me, and it really sucks I missed out on what little points that could have helped.
2. Abbey malt (excuse #2.2): the bin that I got this from claimed 15 lovibond, I think this may be a tad darker than that. If you read the recipe again there is not reason this beer should be as dark as it is. Maybe this plus the high ferm temp added to the Belgian character of this beer
3. Thank you SirDickButts for giving me my highest score in my first competition. Like they always say: you'll never forget your first.
4. This finished at 1.014 (excuse #7), I think this is high

No one is judging you as a person. Except maybe IllbeBOCK because he's an *******. Brewing is about learning and improving. So, if you learned something and will work to improve your process, consider your beer a success

Appearance: Crystal clear, decent head (maybe 1 finger), golden hued. 2/3

Aroma: sweet smelling, low hop aroma. almost smells like a SMASH barleywine I did a while back. 8/12

Taste: Malt sweetness, low level hop bitterness. Noble hops. Lightly floral. 16/20

Mouthfeel: Pretty spot on. Moves across the palate nicely. medium bodied, which seems appropriate given taste profile so far. 4/5

Overall: Probably the most surprising of all the beers in this comp (besides the stout ;) ). I enjoyed this as it was so different from most other entries. Seems like a somewhat simple, solid, strong ale or something in that vein. Not much alcohol apparent. Curious what the ABV is. Guessing around 9%. 8/10

38/50

Edit: Looks like i win for high score! the beer was very belgiany, which is interesting considering the yeast. Whatever, I ****in' enjoyed it. Maybe time did this beer right.

Last edited:
Aroma: Caramel, butterscotch, green apple, band aids 5/12

Appearance: Slightly hazy amber w aggressive white head that fades quickly 2/3

Flavor: sweet, phenolic, solventy 6/20

Mouthfeel: Thin, with a bit of slickness. 2/5

Overall: 5/10

Total: 20/50

Back