TBHC - Hansen Ale Blend Comp - Entry #11 Review Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vogt52

Reaction score
This is the thread for beer #11

As a reminder this is a hedonistic scoring (how much do you like the beer) we are not judging these beers on how much they are "to style".

50 total points

Aroma/12
Appearance/3
Flavor/20
Mouthfeel/5
Overall Impression/10

Aroma : Caramel, toffee, bread, pine, spicy, and slightly buttery - 7

Appearance: Deep Amber, off-white head, good lacing, slightly cloudy - 2

Flavor: Diacetyl galore, slight bitterness, mild pine, papery, no citrus - 7

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation, fairly viscous - 3

Overall: The heat took another victim. Mild oxidation and a ton of Diacetyl. Would love to try fresh - 4

23/50

This beer would have scored higher if it didn't have a label with all the hop breeds.
20160721_221840_zpsaimk7kdt.jpg

Aroma - **** tons of pine, freshly cut grass, mild floral notes with some rye spice middling in the back. 7/12
App - burnt orange, hazy, 1 finger of off white head that recedes quickly. Some lacing. 2/3
Taste - clean rye spice and bitterness works well together. Brown pine straw ending with a film that lingers a little too long on the tongue. 11/20
MF doom - med. body, med carb level makes for a dull mouthfeel. Nothing great or terrible, let's meet in the middle. 2.5/5
Overall - clean example of a rye ipa but I would have rather seen the citrus notes come through. 7/10

Total 30/50

2AEAAADF-9039-4B9B-BCAD-426E794F86C2_zpsjtkwyckk.jpg

Aroma: Looks like another one sacrificed to the shipping gods. Oxidized hops, caramel, browned butter. Digging deep a little tropical fruit and citrus. Slight rye spice.

6/12

Appearance: Murky burnt orange body topped with a bone white small head. Little bit of lacing.

1/3

Flavor: More caramel sweetness followed by bready rye (side note: my phone tried to autocorrect this to "breastesses") and a clean bitterness. Hops I dug for in the nose nowhere to be found here.

6/20

M: Lowish carb pairs decently with the medium body. Slick finish.

3/5

O: Another shipping casualty. Sad to smell traces of hops that were most likely prominent initially. Doesn't help that oxidized hops are one of my least favorite flavors in beer.

4/10

19/50

20160720_191951_zpsechmnhvx.jpg

RYE imperial IPA

Aroma: Caramel malts right up front, light fruit hop aroma, good amount of butterscotch in the aroma as well 7/12

Appearance: Dark red, with a slight orange hue. Decent head 2/3

Flavor: Slightly bitter with butterscotch, points to diacetyl. Fruity esters coming through as well. Some toffee as well. The butterscotch is really overpowering the other potential good flavors in this one unfortunately. 8/20

Mouthfeel: clean and silky, slightly thick but in a pleasant way. Well bodied. 3/3

Overall: Diacetyl is coming through strong on this one. Not sure what happened prior or during fermentation, but i have a feeling something not good. 4.5/10

24.5/50

KCMsRTGh.jpg

Aroma: citrus rinds, chronic weed, candided sugar, and juicy fruit gum. I had to really shove my nose in the glass to smell it, but I dig what I got. I bet this smelled awesome before shipping.
9/12

Appearance: small head that tried it best to hang around. Nice lacing. Color is sort of a murky copper. Hazy. I'd guess more shipping damage.
1/3

Flavor: everything I got from the aroma plus a tiny hit of caramel malts. Again, I bet this was fantastic fresh.
15/20

Mouthfeel: smooth and creamy. Impressive.
4/5

Overall Impression: this is yet another really well made beer that couldn't handle the rigors of shipping/heat. Glad that it didn't completely die before I had the chance to drink it.
6/10

Total: 35/50

Aroma - Big blast of caramel that leads to candied orange then pine. 7/12
Appearance - Burnt orange in color with a thin ring of white foam against the glass. 2/3
Flavor - Rush of grapefruit and pine first. Then a quick hit of caramel sweetness followed by rye spice with a hint of orange peel at the end. 14/20
Mouthfeel - light carb but works, full body, just about the perfect level of dryness. 5/5
Overall Impression - I enjoyed this entry and I bet it was great before shipping across the country. 7/10

Total 35/50

its mahhhhhhhh bee-yerrrr....yes they deserve to die and i hope they burn in hell!!

this is my entry and man does it suck to see the variations of color. wow.
anyways here are the mishaps that took place when brewing this beer.

1) i did not make a starter.....i've been really bad at this lately...
2) i only had a 40-45 min boil, my backup propane tank (full) did not work.
i even tried to boil it within the kitchen and could not get a rolling boil for the life of me.
3) i felt the carbonation could have been way better, even @ 3 weeks in the keg...it still wasn't enough, IMO..

i was trying to mimic simtra by knee deep (except with mosaic hops and rye in the mix) on a lighter scale.
as far as hops go, i didn't use any boil additions. only FWH and post boil steeps (myrcene & humulene rests)
the simcoe definitely out flexed the citra and mosaic hops, thats for sure.
the beer was great fresh out the keg....but a train wreck on the road. bummer.
looking forward to the next brew down! i'll be sure to make a starter, have a working tank and keg longer this time.

cheers!

Last edited:
20160805_211736_zpslhcec5no.jpg~original

Aroma: Caramel and malt sweetness in the aroma, also a tiny bit of apple not off putting. Low hops, having a hard time picking up on the hops that were mentioned on the bottle. 5/12

Appearance: Light caramel color, hazy, Low head faded quickly to a ring around glass. 1/3

Flavor: Rye spice up front, followed by a med high bitterness. Getting a little alcohol heat, and some oxidized hops. But it tastes alot better than I expected with the aroma. 12/20

Mouthfeel: Carb is a little low, med high body. 3/5

Overall: The flavor was ok but there were some issues that I am going to say the shipping conditions caused. If there were a little more hop character this would have been a lot better. 5/10
26/50

oh...and here's the recipe if anyone wants to brew it.
i will definitely brew this again.

grain bill:
12lbs - 2row
3lbs - rye
8oz - crystal 60
4oz - acid malt

hop additions:
2oz - simcoe (FWH @ 15mins)
2oz - citra (post boil humulene steep @ 110° for 20mins)
2oz - simcoe (post boil humulene steep @ 110° for 20mins)
2oz - mosaic (post boil humulene steep @ 110° for 20mins)
2oz - simcoe (post boil myrcene steep @ 100° for 20mins)
2oz - citra (post boil myrcene steep @ 100° for 20mins)
2oz - mosaic (post boil myrcene steep @ 100° for 20mins)

fermented @ 69° for 2 weeks
dry hopped w/ 2oz of simcoe and 2oz mosaic for 7 days @ room temp.

other comments:
the mash ph was dialed in @ 5.3
grain bill mashed in @ 153
the boil time was 75mins, but only made it to 40-45mins LOL

E3EEE87A-77CF-4E26-BD0B-9AD2E8CDF8CB.jpg

• Aroma: good sweet maltiness, slightly faded hops, smells west coasty, (8)
  • Appearance: started the pour slowly then went straight down the middle, great head, hazy, red/copper, creamy off white head that sticks around. (3)
  • Flavor: sweet sweet malt, got that good rye spiciness, not overly bitter, good hop profile, very slight alcohol heat, mouth is coated with sweetness though (12)
  • Mouthfeel: good carb, the opposite of dry (3)
  • Overall: I feel the hops faded quickly on this one (heat? shipping?) I was left with a unbalanced sweetness that I didn't love. (5)
  • 31/50

08bYw0j.jpg

Aroma - Malt sweetness that's hiding juicy tropical fruit and citrus hops 8/12
Appearance - Slightly hazy amber red with 1-1.5 finger white head that settles to a thin film with some lacing. 2/3
Flavor - Tons of citrus/floral hops up front with a hint of spicyness followed by some malt sweetness and finishes fairly bitter that lingers. 15/20
Mouthfeel - Medium to full body. Low to medium low carbonation. I feel the carbonation is pretty spot on. 4/5
Overall Impression - Great beer. Again, fresh I bet I would of loved this. (I'm a huge Simtra fan) However, i think it held up fairly well with the age and shipping conditions. Personally, I would of liked to see a bit more rye spice but still a great beer either way. 7/10

Total: 36/50

[wish I took a picture of this one, mine was on the lighter end of the spectrum given the examples above]

2/3 - Dark orange with one finger of tight white head that fades quickly

8/12 - Nice, if slightly generic, IPA type aroma. Some definite citrus up front with some stone fruit and "dank" complexity behind it. Slightly muddled aroma. As it warms I get a slight ethanol note.

13/20 - Strong bitterness up front that gives way to those citrusy hop flavors, a little bit of malt sweetness behind it and again as it warmed I got an ethanol bite.

3/5 - Medium body, light carb. Could have probably benefited from slightly more carb but it was still good.

7/10 - Overall this feels like a work in progress, it seemed like all the elements were there the dials just needed to be fine tuned.

33/50

App: burnt orange - minimal head. 2/3

Aroma: hop bitterness nicely balanced by some malt sweetness. very nice aroma. 9/12

Taste: Something is not hitting my palate right here. spicyness and bitterness come on a bit strong. Drinks like it has more alcohol than the label suggest. lingers on the palate. 12/20

Mouthfeel: Pretty good. 4/5

Overall: Not a bad attempt at a rye pa. Haven't had too many of this style that really ever made my pants get tight. I'm sure this had some more going on when it was fresh. My bad for being a shitty beer drinker/critic. 6/10

33/50

Aroma: Citrus, caramel, cardboard, cheese 7/12

Appearance: Hazy deep copper w 1/2" tan head 2/3

Taste: Malt, wet cardboard, followed by moderate bitterness, finishes w a bit of spice. 13/20

Mouthfeel: Heavier on the tongue than expected from the prickly carbonation. 2/5

Overall: Some signs of oxidation. I didn't help by leaving it in the fridge as long as I did. Otherwise, reminded me of a 90s style IPA w a bit of rye spice on the finish. 6/10

Total: 30/50

Back