TBHC - Hansen Ale Blend Comp - Entry #3 Review Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quirkzoo1

Reaction score
This is the thread for beer #3

As a reminder this is a hedonistic scoring (how much do you like the beer) we are not judging these beers on how much they are "to style".

50 total points

Aroma/12
Appearance/3
Flavor/20
Mouthfeel/5
Overall Impression/10

mgid:uma:video:mtv.com:932253

just made it home from work and thought it would be a good time to drink some brews.
first off, i would like to thank entry# 3 for the hansen blend dregs collected from the bottle. tite.

IMG_1223.JPG

aroma: delicate floral nose, honey dew rinds, lime zest and natures own wheat bread - 8.5
appearance: slightly hazed bum piss yellow | frothy egg white head - 2.5
flavor: light hop bitterness, lime peel, wheat bread...very well balanced! - 18
mouthfeel: carb was definitely on point, bruh. ON POINT. nice and dry! - 5
overall impression: i wish i had more. definitely easy drinking and appreciated in this HOT/HUMID weather - 9

TOTAL - 43

next up, entry# 1!

Aroma: Fruity esters, bready, slight citrus, herbal, floral - 10

Appearance: beautiful cloudy golden color, nice white head, great lacing - 3

Flavor: smooth, herbal, bready, floral, slightly bitter, flavor masked by the overcarbonation - 9

Mouthfeel: overcarbed, thin - 1

Overall: Not sure if this is a pale ale or a Saison (not Belgiany enough for me). The aroma and appearance are misleading. The overcarbonation masks the flavor and mouthfeel - 5

28/50

20160720_182031_zpshgtfzf3t.jpg

Aroma: Fruity esters and baked buscuits right up front, mixed in with some light fruit hop and floral hop aromas mixed with citrus. Very nice. 9/12

Appearance: Nice golden haze, great head retention and lacing on the glass. 3/3

Flavor: fairly bitter up front followed by a biscuit/malty flavor. Slightly dry. The carb is fairly high on this one, making it difficult to get a flavor profile. I'm getting a mostly sweet ester and bready flavor mixed in with bitter hops, not much else. Carb might be masking those fruit flavors i'm picking up in the aroma. 10.5/20

Mouthfeel: A bit thin, and carb is making it hard to detect flavors, but is not overpowering. 2/5

Overall: Great aroma and appearance had this beer start off strong, but fell short in flavor and mouthfeel. I think less carb would have improved the beer. 5.5/10

30/50

U8Fgdla.jpg

Aroma: Bright, citrusy hops. Not a big burst of hop aroma, but it's there. Crackery, light malts. Probably smelled even better before shipping. 8/12

Appearance: monster sized, puffy head even with a slow pour. Hazy like a wheat beer. Pretty color. Good looking beer. 3/3

Flavor: crisp and clean. Hops come through more floral and less citrusy. No heavy malts detectable. I'd guess that this is all pils, 2-row, and/or wheat. Perfect summer beer. 15/20

Mouthfeel: again, crisp and clean. High levels of carbonation and a snappy finish. Going down great. 4/5

Overall: tastes like a lower ABV hoppy wheat beer. Could bang plenty of these on a day like today. Sort of reminds my of Boulevard 80 acre. 8/10

Total: 38/50

9084DEDB-7183-40DD-9F89-C7F8633D6511_zpsrxhtpipp.jpg

Aroma: Estery citrus, honey, and floral notes. Initially came off a bit Belgian, but that faded as it opened up. Delicate but well crafted nose.

9/12

Appearance: Overflowed my glass with a gentle pour! Massive head and a light gold body. Love the color.

3/3

Flavor: More florality on the palate with some orange zest and honey in the finish. Overwhelmed a bit by the carb. Minimal malt presence. Concise and clean but muted. Subtle bitterness.

12/20

Mouthfeel: Again overwhelmed by the massive carb. Thin body is appropriate for what I think you were going for, but the high carb takes it a bit too far.

2/5

Overall: Clean and well executed flavors and aromas but the carb is basically saison level. Would be really crushable and easy drinking if the carb wasn't so overwhelming. Was this a hopped up blonde or something along those lines?

6/10

32/50

9084DEDB-7183-40DD-9F89-C7F8633D6511_zpsrxhtpipp.jpg

Aroma: Estery citrus, honey, and floral notes. Initially came off a bit Belgian, but that faded as it opened up. Delicate but well crafted nose.

9/12

Appearance: Overflowed my glass with a gentle pour! Massive head and a light gold body. Love the color.

3/3

Flavor: More florality on the palate with some orange zest and honey in the finish. Overwhelmed a bit by the carb. Minimal malt presence. Concise and clean but muted. Subtle bitterness.

12/20

Mouthfeel: Again overwhelmed by the massive carb. Thin body is appropriate for what I think you were going for, but the high carb takes it a bit too far.

2/5

Overall: Clean and well executed flavors and aromas but the carb is basically saison level. Would be really crushable and easy drinking if the carb wasn't so overwhelming. Was this a hopped up blonde or something along those lines?

6/10

32/50
That view off the deck

Pisses me off. Nice view.

20160729_234928_zps2rubxxa3.jpg~original

Aroma: Citrusy and grassy smell, almost smells like a hoppy farmhouse saison . 10/12

Appearance: Head for days, Thick and lasts a long time. Small and large bubbles throughout. Nice glowing hay color 3/3

Flavor: Flora hops, grassy farmhouse character, maybe a little bit of lemon taste. 16/20

Mouthfeel: Very dry and crisp, Lots of carbonation, but works well in this beer. 3/3

Overall: This is really nice, I would love to see this exact same beer with some brett in it. I am getting a farmhouse pale ale vibe from this. Pretty damn good 8/10

40/50

nm4zB4q.jpg

2/3 - Tons of fluffy white head, hazy golden body

6/12 - Sweet fruits, sour straw candy, lightly hoppy (on the floral end of the spectrum) as it warms

10/20 - Flavor is pretty bland, those delicate aromas are washed away by the high carbonation. Slight wheaty flavor and some bitterness. Dry, refreshing with a slight hint of tartness.

2/5 - Extremely high carbonation leads to a very light mouthfeel

5/10 - Overall this beer was very light and refreshing but I was looking for more flavor and a little more balance.

25/50

edit: after reading some of the other reviews I am wondering if this score reflects some "flight order" bias. I reviewed this immediately after finishing #2 which was a big, bold, aggressively hoppy beer and in comparison this one just seemed lacking. Since we had one person drop out I have an extra bottle that I may revisit on a warm afternoon with a fresh palate.

Last edited:
Updated ***

20160729_234928_zps2rubxxa3.jpg~original

Aroma: Citrusy and grassy smell, almost smells like a hoppy farmhouse saison . 10/12

Appearance: Head for days, Thick and lasts a long time. Small and large bubbles throughout. Nice glowing hay color 3/3

Flavor: Flora hops, grassy farmhouse character, maybe a little bit of lemon taste. 16/20

Mouthfeel: Very dry and crisp, Lots of carbonation, but works well in this beer. 4/5

Overall: This is really nice, I would love to see this exact same beer with some brett in it. I am getting a farmhouse pale ale vibe from this. Pretty damn good 8/10

41/50

0pO4umL.jpg

Appearance
: Pours a beautiful yellow/gold which settles in with brilliant clarity. A really pretty beer once the head settles- point deducted only because gusher. 2/3

Aroma: Mild floral hops. Some faint lemon zest and tropical fruits as it warms. 8/12

Flavor: Juicy fruit gum with a firm bitterness on the back end. 15/20

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and crushable, although maybe a bit thin for me. Carbonation is moderate, not as lively as expected once the head has settled. 3/5

Overall: Similar to #4, my impression of this beer is a light simple Summer crusher. Very light in aroma, flavor, and body, with a satisfyingly quenching bitterness on the finish. However, I have a feeling it was meant to be more- it was almost a big juicy froot bomb- but I wonder if the aggressive carbonation in the bottle may have driven off some of those great aromatics. Whatever the intent, though, this was a very enjoyable beer. 7/10

Total: 35/50

Aroma - Picking up equal parts citrus and grass. Very subtle. 7/12
Appearance - Gold in color and clear. Puffy off white head that leaves a touch of lacing. 3/3
Flavor - Citrus to start leading into a subtle grassy taste. Solid malt presence to make for a very balanced beer. 14/20
Mouthfeel - Full body, carb is just right for this beer, smooth finish. 4/5
Overall Impression - Very well balanced, easy drinking beer. Could drink this all day with no problem. Well done. 8/10

Total - 36/50

B5EC0F93-C22B-403A-A346-E8F29E7457F7.jpg

• Aroma: plastic, extract, some tropical notes, slightly herbal (8)
  • Appearance: huge white head, very carbonated, golden in color, I got about 3oz(?) out of the first pour, very clear. (1)
  • Flavor: so much carb I don't get anything prominently, mostly plastic-herbal, low malt flavor, low alcohol (9)
  • Mouthfeel: pretty thin and way overcarbed, (1.5)
  • Overall: flavor and aroma have to be turned up with this beer, while the carb has to be turned down (5)
  • 24.5/50

yPItaZZ.jpg

Aroma - Citrus/Lemon Citrus, Herbal, Floral and some belgian/farmhouse funkyness that dissipated after a few minutes 7/12
Appearance - Massive white head that lasted FOREVER, hazy gold body. Particulates floating. (Bottle fill was super low, well below the neck) 1/3
Flavor - A hint of farmhouse/belgian esters followed by a hint of malt sweetness and some low herbal hop notes. Finishes dry. 13/20
Mouthfeel - Light to Medium body, Tons of carbonation but I feel it's appropriate for this beer. Finishes dry making me want more. 4/5
Overall Impression - This beer intrigued me. It has some belgian/farmhouse funk thing going on but it's barley detectible. I don't get the same flavors I was smelling. Then again I might be suffering from the same thing as quirkzoo as I drank this right after entry#2. What I do taste is pretty good and interesting. Would bang again. 6/10

Total 31/50

This one was me and definitely came in way overcarbed. I was shooting for around 2.2 volumes of co2 and I don't think I overshot the sugar addition that bad. Terminal gravity was 1011, but I suspect if I degassed one of these bottles, it's around 1008 or less. There's most likely some brett in my bottling equipment, so I popped the last clean beer I bottled with the same equipment, a big stout that was bottled off of a keg:
20160806_232406_zpsqpepbgsi.jpg

I'll post the recipe when I get back in front of my computer.

Appearance: Crystal clear, straw colored. Nice head. Looks like an AAL in appearance. 3/3

Aroma: Smells like some lightly fruity & floral hops. Light sweetness. No major malt backbone. Caught a whiff of two of plastic, might just be me. 6/12

Taste: pale malts, some hop bitterness. 12/20

MF: A little overcarbed for my palate. Distracts from the taste for me. 2/5

Overall: Curious what this was before shipping and the extended wait before I finally drank it. Didn't read any other reviews prior. 5/10

28/50

Back