TBHC - Hansen Ale Blend Comp - Entry #9 Review Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aroma: Floral, herbal, grassy, slightly citrusy, and hints of berries - 10

Appearance: hazy orange, off white head with good retention, nice lacing - 3

Flavor: Grassy hop flavors, medium bitterness, floral notes, some delicate bready notes - 14

Mouthfeel : slightly over carbed which takes away from the flavor, decently smooth - 4

Overall: pretty good IPA, would love to try fresh - 6.5

37.5/50

next up to the plate....#9

IMG_1239.JPG

aroma: delicate floral nose...a tad bit of gooseberry and tangerine - 10.5
appearance: beautiful golden orange with nice lacing, one finger head - 3
flavor: medium/orange peel bitterness - 13
mouthfeel: carbonation is on point. very crisp - 5
overall: - i wish there was a bit of sweetness to balance out the bitterness. very drinkable nonetheless. good job! - 8

TOTAL: 39.5

ED0578B3-6C56-4E14-B443-36F2299D161B_zpshsnatk9t.jpg

Aroma: Mellow citrus/pine with a creeping bit of oxidation. Hint of crackery malt closes things out. Held up decently well for the conditions it was subjected to!

7/12

Appearance: Big ass pillowy head that sticks around for quite a while. Hazy burnt orange body. Lacing all over the glass.

2/3

Flavor: Mild pithy grapefruit and orange flesh. Clean crisp bitterness. Touch of dry malt character. Flavor falls off a little to quickly for my liking. Would have loved to try it before shipping.

12/20

Mouthfeel: Perfect carb and a crisp, dry body. On point.

4/5

Overall: Very clean and well executed. Just looking for a bit more aroma and flavor that heat and shipping probably stole from it.

7/10

32/50

20160720_200456_zpswbacb3lx.jpg

Aroma: Floral and citrus hops, slightly earthy. A bit or wheat mixed in. Slightly undertoned 8.5/12

Appearance: Slight golden haze, good lacing. Nice fluffy head lingers 3/3

Flavor: Slight light malt and citrus to start. Mild buscuit and medium bitterness follows. Finishes slightly earthy with some hop bitterness. Easy to drink. 14/20

Mouthfeel: Good carb, clean finish, nice body. Finishes light 4/5

Overall: Reminds me of a nice dry hopped blonde ale. Great balance of malt and light hop/bitterness. slightly citrus and finishes slightly bitter. Nice beer. Would be great to have six of these for a hot day. 7.5/10

37/50

Appearance: Another golden hued beer. Plenty of head, at least two fingers worth. Slightly hazy, but lacking dat turbidity those clammers are known for. 3/3

Aroma: Nice bouquet of hops. Pale malt, light sweetness. Some pith, low levels of citrus fruits. 9/12

Taste: Pretty good! Hops are a little muddled for my tastes, but probably heat related. PIth, grapefruit, etc. Falls off pretty quickly. Some carbonic bite on the aftertaste. 13/20

Mouthfeel: Medium thin bodied, ample carb, not too spritzy. Clean finish for the most part. 3/5

Overall: Probably a great beer before shipping but only a good beer after shipping. Hard to say much more knowing what torture this beer endured on it's trek to me. 6/10

34/50

cwGThj4h.jpg

Aroma: Floral hops and orange peel. Touch of malty sweetness. Pleasant, but seems like it might be faded. No inherent brewing flaws, just heat and shipping damage.
7/12

Appearance: Perfect amount of head. Nice lacing left of the glass. Nice burnt orange and copper color. Just a touch of haziness.

2/3

Flavor: Orange marmalade and floral hops up front. Rounded out with a nice, light maltiness. Just a touch of soapy bite on the finish. I think this is starting to go slightly stale, but not totally dead yet. Very easy to drink.

13/20

Mouthfeel: Dead on for a pale ale/IPA. Medium bobied, nice carbonation, and a quick finish that doesn't linger.

4/5

Overall: Seems like a really well made beer that suffered bumps and bruises during shipping. I'd happily drink more of this, preferably fresh.

6/10

Total: 32/50

20160805_213633_zpscnzvsopp.jpg~original

Aroma: Piney and earthy hop aromas, a little citrus, orange and tangerine, also a hint of lemon lime but minimal. A tiny leather smell and very little sweetness in the aroma. 8/12

Appearance: Yellow Ochre color (thanks artist wife) Nice head nice lacing lasts a long time. Pretty Hazy. 2/3

Flavor: Mild bitterness, A little citrusy. Picking up a tiny earthy and piney hop character in the flavor also. Slight leather taste comes through. 13/20

Mouthfeel: low body, slight sweetness, Nice carb level. 4/5

Overall: This was enjoyable, the light body and mellow bitterness were nice, there was a little malt sweetness and the hop aromas were a little underwhelming. 7/10

34/50

Aroma - slightly citrusy with some pineapple, bit of pine too. 7/12
Appearance - Nice opaque orange color with a 2 finger head that hung around a bit and left a good amount of lacing. 3/3
Flavor - Touch of bitter grapefruit to start, then piney bitterness. Just enough malt to support the hops. Nice. 16/20
Mouthfeel - Carb just right. Medium body and dry. 4/5
Overall Impression - Well done IPA. Enjoyed this entry. Nothing really wrong with it, maybe a little more hop needed but that could be from shipping. 8/10

38/50

Last edited:
72CB3667-8E46-4F88-8BB2-D21D01A2D5AE.jpg

• Aroma: sweet hops, some pine but mostly citrus, I assume the hops have faded but I still like what's there (10)
  • Appearance: great egg shell head with good retention, hazy pale color (3)
  • Flavor: first thing I get is the bitterness not too high but a tad high for that malt/hop balance that tickles my you.know.what, the citrus flavor comes through but slightly muted (11)
  • Mouthfeel: almost spritzy on the tongue but I don't want to say it's overcarbed, keeps me coming back for more (4)
  • Overall: I feel like this was pimpin fresh, the overall hop character is stellar, would crush all day (8)
  • 36/50

I apologize to this beer, it was downed in a muggy garage @ 99* while I was brewing.
20160807_195707_zps3w6djbxa.jpg

App - brilliant copper, semi clear, big head that fades fast with a ton of lacing 3/3

Aroma - hefty malt profile. Biscuit dough, caramel. 7/12

Taste - med bitterness, earthy hops with some grapefruit, not as sweet as the aroma leads on, lots of oxydation. 11/20

Mouthfeel - good carb levels but really filmy on the tongue 3/5

Overall - pretty dull offering that was used and abused by oxygen and heat. 7/10

Total - 31/50

lVqCvSw.jpg

Aroma - Floral, Citrus, touch of sweet malt. 7/12
Appearance - Slightly hazy orange, 2 finger off white head that settles to a 1/4 film, plenty of lacing. 3/3
Flavor - bitter citrus with a touch of pine/resin tad bit of sweet malt finishes fairly dry and bitter. 16/20
Mouthfeel - Medium body, Medium Carb. Finishes fairly dry. 4/5
Overall Impression - Solid IPA. As per usual, a bit faded, would of liked to see this one fresh. 7/10

Total: 37/50

This one is mine:

11lbs - 2-row (organic because I had never tried it before)
1lb - Wheat Malt
.5lb - Munich II
.5lb - Carastan 30

FWH - .25oz each Citra, Simcoe
60min - .5oz Chinook
30min - .25oz each Citra, Simcoe, Amarillo
10min - .5oz each Citra, Simcoe, .25oz Amarillo
0min - 1oz Citra, Simcoe, .5oz Chinook, Amarillo
Dryhop, 1ozeach Citra, Simcoe, Amarillo, Nelson, Hull Melon

.5tsp Gypsum

It was great fresh but I definitely need to work on my packaging techniques

I lost my measurements but I remember it came out to 6%abv.

Aroma: Lemons, pineapple, and hay. Very inviting. 10/12

Appearance: Hazy light amber w persistent fluffy white head. 2/3

Flavor: Pineapple citrus bomb, a bit of sourdough; moderately bitter finish 14/20

Mouthfeel: Creamy carb w dry finish. 3/5

Overall: There's a certain hop combo that makes me think there might be brett in the mix, and I think this is that combo. Really enjoyable beer. Would crush repeatedly. 7/10

Total: 36/50

Back