Other Booze Thanks Four the Palpitations: A Pre-Ban Four Loko Remembrance Thread

Discussion in 'Whiskey, Wine & Other Booze' started by yeahnatenelson, Aug 14, 2018.

1. yeahnatenelson

yeahnatenelson

Kinda shocked this hadn't already been brought up...

Yesterday Grub Street posted the oral history of Four Loko as told by its co-creators, two Ohio State business majors who thought the "vodka-RedBull-but-better" beverage segment was too lucrative to leave to Sparks, and it got me thinking of the good times I've shared with others while drinking what might be the most socially destructive beverage this side of Buckfast Tonic Wine.

Anyway, my favorite Four Loko memory was from last year. Powzy opened up a pre-ban can of UVA Berry (aka, grape) at a share at Gonzoillini's and somehow the food coloring had gone from purple to a very concerning shade of forest green. It looked like poison, and honestly it's hard to argue that I didn't actually poison myself by drinking it.

Close second: drinking a Fruit Punch pre-ban generously shared by MordorMongo at fear025's bachelor party. I honestly thought my heart was never going to stop pounding.

2. FTowne

FTowne

I’ve drank (and posted pics of) pre-bans throughout this section of the site. Can’t find them at the moment.

3. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

I must have drank a lot of Loko that night as I genuinely have no recall of being at fear025 ‘s bachelor party.

Now the grape turned green sounds like my can ;)

4. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

This thread makes me sad. At one point a couple years ago I had 30+ cans of pre-ban in various flavors. I’m down to single digits, low ones at that.

Fuck.

5. MikeJones

MikeJones

Steve knows how to start a brewery crawl at 10 am.

[​IMG]

6. CheapBeerBuzz

CheapBeerBuzz

My boy justforrazors opened my eyes to the annual Pre-Ban Four Loko tasting while waiting to enter Dark Lord Day. Those were the days...

I'll have to drum up a photo later. Pre-Ban Four Loko and someone roaming around with shots of Malört basically makes DLD tolerable.

7. Hanzo

Hanzo

Was more of a Sparks man myself, is this thread for any caffeinated malt beverage?

8. yeahnatenelson

yeahnatenelson

That my two most vivid memories of drinking Four Loko are filled with factual errors really speaks to the experience of drinking it.

9. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

It’s exactly the point so I’d call it a raging success story.

10. JulianB

JulianB

The can of UVA Berry in question, although I stupidly forgot to take a photo of the actual poured liquid (maybe because MordorMongo insisted we chug our pours):

[​IMG]

I did get a pic of the can of Joose though:

[​IMG]

Is MordorMongo's shirt on-topic for this thread? I feel like it should be:

[​IMG]

11. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

Real talk, I have not shaved since that day. The beard envy was so strong in that room I had to swing for the fence.

I will never compete on a pro level and barely can call it a beard at all but goddamn if I didn’t have to become a member of the club.

12. JulianB

JulianB

One favorite encounter with Pre-Ban was when one of my buddies gave me a can of Lemonade to take home after Hunahpu 2014 (aka RiotPu). I domed that shit out of a TB snifter and spent the rest of the night on the couch alternating between almost passing out and shaking with agitation:

[​IMG]

13. yeahnatenelson

yeahnatenelson

Yes, so we could then chug the three finger cups of Watermelon Pucker he had ready for us.

14. jivex5k

jivex5k

That is not how I pictured him at all.

15. BadJustin

BadJustin Moderator Staff Member

I figure my posts and actual appearance and pretty damn near closely aligned.

16. SAISON FUCK

SAISON FUCK

I have never had a pre-ban 4Loko. I feel like I should start a shame thread for people to post the things they haven't tried, but should have by now.

lurchingbeast, TheBus and Gonzoillini like this.
  17. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

How do you drink with us and miss these things?