The 5th Annual Jerome LIF 2019

Discussion in 'Beer-It-Forward' started by PHBoiler, Feb 25, 2019.

1. PHBoiler

PHBoiler

We are just one week away from the 5th annual "The Jerome" LIF. There will be plenty of March Madness BIFs that involve the main bracket; this will be the only one that involves 32 conference brackets. That's right my friends, this LIF is the TalkBeer version of The Jerome! The annual contest that all of your favorite college hoops writers look forward to and talk about on twitter has come to TalkBeer. Here's the basic rules:

The object of The Jerome is to select winners in each of the 32 Division I men's college basketball conference tournaments contested between March 4 - 17, 2019. You pick one team per league and earn points based on how far your squad advances.

If your team reaches its tournament final, you earn two points. If it wins the tourney, you win three more points, for a total of five. There’s a chance for bonuses, too. Any selected winner that 1.) entered its tourney seeded third or lower, AND 2.) played no more than two conference tourney games on its home court, gets you an extra two points. In the case of conferences that seed by division finish, all teams except the No. 1 seeds in each division will be eligible for the bonus. So, you can earn a maximum of seven points in some of the tournaments. Bonus points do not apply for teams that make the finals and lose. All scoring defers to the official Jerome scoresheet.

Now, the hard part, especially for you deadline types: By Tuesday, March 5th at 6 p.m. (EST), I need your selections for 13 leagues: America East, Atlantic Sun, Big South, Colonial Athletic, Horizon, Metro Atlantic, Missouri Valley, Northeast, Ohio Valley, Patriot, Southern, Summit and West Coast.

By Tuesday, Mar. 6 at 6 p.m. (EST), I'll need picks for the remaining 19 leagues: American Athletic, Atlantic Coast, Atlantic 10, Big East, Big Sky, Big Ten, Big 12, Big West, Conference USA, Ivy, Mid-American, Mid-Eastern Athletic, Mountain West, Pac-12, Southeastern, Southland, Southwestern Athletic, Sun Belt and Western Athletic.

Just in case, the tiebreaker will be guessing what seed Purdue gets in the NCAA tournament.

Let's have some fun and somebody is going to win a nice box of beer for free. Lower 48 in the United States only please for shipping addresses. The contents of the winner's box will not be determined until the contest concludes on Selection Sunday. The better the performance of the winner, the better the contents of the box. I also reserve the right to send multiple boxes if we get enough entries to warrant such a situation. I'll compare it to the national standings including folks that actually cover the sport. Feel free to ask any and all questions. You can also reference last year's LIF. Given the current decline in overall participation on TB, I'm going to require a minimum of 10 entrants to run this thing. If there's truly not even that level of interest, then I'll go ahead and give up hope. Hopefully we get the biggest entry pool yet!

Here is the full list of conference tournaments and brackets as they are released:
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/schedules/conference-tournament

2. johnyb

johnyb

One of the best BIFs of the year! Thanks again for running this Pete, I'm in !

capnmike, PHBoiler, jammery and 3 others like this.
  3. steimie

steimie Premium Athletic Supporter Contributor

Happy to throw in a list of uninformed, nearly random picks yet again this year. Thanks for the chance!

capnmike, PHBoiler and atoulouk like this.
  4. gregkoko

gregkoko

It's the most wonderful tiiiiiiiiiiiiime of the year

In babyyyyyyyyy

capnmike, jammery, atoulouk and 2 others like this.
  5. JGlitz87

JGlitz87

I will attempt to not make a fool of myself. Picks will be sent last minute

capnmike, jammery and PHBoiler like this.
  6. jammery

jammery

Yeah, I’m in. Now that the big ten tournament isn’t returning to the Garden this year, I need more conference tournament distraction.

capnmike and PHBoiler like this.
  7. PHBoiler

PHBoiler

Halfway to the minimum with a week before picks open. That'll do. I like it. TB is alive! It's alive!

Let's get this thing back to over 20 like it has been in years past.

I've passed you the ball. You know what to do. Don't disappoint Tim Miles. Take the shot.

(Link to media)

gregkoko, capnmike and KevSal like this.
  8. PHBoiler

PHBoiler

gregkoko and capnmike like this.
  9. johnyb

johnyb

Gotta say, I hated seeing the Big 10 tourney in the Garden. I get why, just didn't feel right.

Sigh, and I really miss the Illini glory days. So sad.

capnmike and jammery like this.
  10. jammery

jammery

the whole thing was a ridiculous money grab. i was just happy because i got to see 3 games, including Michigan winning the championship. and since i bought the championship tix prior to the semis, i beat the big price jump and paid $50 for 100 level seats.

gregkoko and PHBoiler like this.
  11. Drega09

Drega09

This is one of my favorite BIF's. Great way to start off March Madness.

PHBoiler likes this.
  12. nathanmiller

nathanmiller

As every year, I'm in. As every year:

[​IMG]

PHBoiler likes this.
  13. PHBoiler

PHBoiler

14. capnmike

capnmike Premium Supporter Contributor

Does one just....PM one’s picks?

[​IMG]

PHBoiler likes this.
  15. PHBoiler

PHBoiler

You are correct. Slide into those DMs.
    [​IMG]

16. PHBoiler

PHBoiler

SEND IT IN JEROME!!

Today we get rolling. The brackets are posted. Send in those picks.

Phin, flexabull, gregkoko and 3 others like this.
  17. jammery

jammery

your dates for deadlines are all meshuggah

nathanmiller and atoulouk like this.
  18. PHBoiler

PHBoiler

Yeah the second set is due Tuesday the 12th. Bad copy pasta job.

19. gregkoko

gregkoko

Also the America East bracket is not out yet (at least on the cbs site you linked)

20. PHBoiler

PHBoiler

Solid start. We've got 11 entries, but there's still time before 3 more conference tournaments kick off tonight. Basically chalk in the ASun last night, which is why I give an extra day even though that tournament started.

The final America East regular season game is tonight, then that bracket will be set. You'll have to project the bracket yourself if you need to see one before making your pick. The Jerome requires the America East be submitted in the first pool of picks, so I follow their guidelines. Just wanted to clarify.

Keep those picks rolling in!

jammery, atoulouk, Phin and 2 others like this.