BeNeLux The Amsterdam Thread

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by brystmar, Apr 10, 2014.

1. brystmar

brystmar

A friend of mine is headed to Amsterdam next week and was looking for advice on places to visit, bars/beer stores to frequent, people to drink with, etc. If any TB'ers live there (or have visited recently), I'd love to hear from you. :)

2. drinkypoo

drinkypoo

Bottle shop.... there is only one worth checking out.
    De Bierkoning. Tiny place, great people running it, and right downtown.
    When I was there in the late fall I asked for a recommendation for local fare. She recommended a brown cafe around the corner. Food was traditional and hearty, the place was busy and full of locals, and inexpensive. We had such a great time we went the next night too. Beer selection there was limited but they had Westmalle.
    Apparently there is a good beer bar very close to that but we didn't check it out as I usually had enough with dinner.

Places to visit.... Anne Frank house is an obvious one, but if you don't have prepaid and timed tickets during the week, forget it. Crazy busy later in the day and nuts on the weekends.
    Rijksmuseum is pretty good. Lots of local masters and a couple masterpieces by Rembrandt worth the price of admission. We also did the Van Gogh museum which I recommend if you are a fan of his (obviously) or the impressionist movement.
    Spare yourself the Heineken experience. Total waste of $.

The BEST part of the city is experienced by just walking it. We stayed on the river and in the west part of downtown.
    Walked through Jordaan daily and hit the market there when it was open for freshly squeezed juices, some pickled herring, breads, cheeses, etc.
    And watch your ass for the bikes. Goddamn! ;)

3. Lurkaholic

Lurkaholic

Bar wise I really enjoyed Cafe Gollem, which had two locations when we were there (almost 2 years ago). Checking them out now the one we went too seems to have closed, but they've opened up two more elsewhere too. Great food, and diverse belgian bottle list - would recommend.

Previously likes this.
  4. Bluecane

Bluecane

I'll be there from ~July 3-7. If anyone is around, let me know!

PeelBacks likes this.
  5. PeelBacks

PeelBacks

If hostel route stay Flying Pig Downtown and make sure to hit up Barneys Coffeeshop (the best) then either Amnesia or Grey Matter. If you see Dr. Grinspoon & like sativas, get it.

6. Bluecane

Bluecane

That's a good "party" hostel, I assume? That's definitely what I'm after; traveling alone, free as a bird.

flexabull and PeelBacks like this.
  7. PeelBacks

PeelBacks

From my research a few years ago when I went, it's the only hostel that allows smoking inside i.e. a dedicated smoking room in the middle of the place. Great way to meet up, start your day with an idea of what you want to do, start a convo with some people in there, and head out together or solo - other great days include spending hours hanging, getting to know, or watching the in/out flow of people in that room. Be sure to venture outside of course though, such a beautiful city. I'd love to live there but remember two things Barneys & watch out for bikes, srs. Amsterdam, the only place I've seen napkin dispensers of rolling papers...everywhere

Previously and Bluecane like this.
  8. PeelBacks

PeelBacks

Train ride to Brussels is extremely close as well from what I remember, which I'm sure you've looked up. Any plans to utilize that?

Previously and Bluecane like this.
  9. Bluecane

Bluecane

Thanks for the tips!

Yep. Amsterdam --> Belgium --> Paris --> Montpellier --> Barcelona is the tentative plan. I may divert myself to whatever city has a world cup game that day, though :D

Previously, flexabull and PeelBacks like this.
  10. mwbbq

mwbbq

Doing some research for a possible return here, so thanks for the recommendations! I don't believe Proeflokaal Arendsnest was mentioned yet, but they had an excellent lineup of Dutch beers on tap. Cafe Hoppe (open since 1670) was also fun, but I don't recall how excellent the beer selection was. After some beer if you are hungry, the fries are excellent at Vlaamse Friteshuis.

Previously likes this.
  11. Bluecane

Bluecane

There's a brewery, 't IJ, inside a windmill that had some nice stuff. The amber was a standout if I remember right.
    http://www.brouwerijhetij.nl/splash-page-nl/

Previously likes this.
  12. thegerm87

thegerm87

Uhh so is this the only content on Amsterdam? Anybody have any updates/recommendations? Headed there this fall - usually look to TB for at least some guidance on what to do, see, eat, drink, etc.

13. jodan

jodan

I've got like 8hrs in Amsterdam, then a couple days in Eindhoven and Belgium. Any suggestions for Eindhoven? GF is working/'team building' for 2 days, that usually means drinking and wandering for me.

14. Saind

Saind

Heyyy I'm from Eindhoven
    Just go to van Moll. Fuck the rest.

As far as bottle shops go, Bierbrigadier is great and Bottle Shop is cool too. I

kuemmelbrau likes this.
  15. jodan

jodan

Thanks!

Any suggestions on non-beery things, or should I just drink all day? We might end up with a car at some point.

16. Saind

Saind

Eindhoven is probably the least interesting City for tourists in the country. There's a couple villages on the border of the city like Nuenen where van Gogh is from that are nice but the city itself isn't too interesting.
    I would probably recommend visiting another city that is close to Eindhoven like Maastricht (1 hour), Brussels (1:15) or Breda (30 min)

17. Saind

Saind

18. Maakun

Maakun

Best bottle shop in Amsterdam is Sterk Avondverkoop, not too far from Bierkoning and a lot cheaper. It's bascically a grocery store open until 1 in the night with about 1500 beers.

Bars I'd say In de Wildeman is a must. Close by is Beer temple for American beers. For Dutch beers go to Arendsnest or a bit further Tap Zuid.

One of my favorite places is Foeders, a bit further from the centre but super nice atmosphere and amazing service.

There's tons of other places, I think the top list on Ratebeer is quite accurate, though a lot of tourist tend to really like places that look old but have no good beers.

drinkypoo and thegerm87 like this.
  19. Gene

Gene Administrator Staff Member

Steve and I had a good time at Tales and Spirits. Cocktails were good and people watching was top notch (sat outside on a Saturday night).

Steve likes this.
  20. Steve

Steve Administrator Staff Member

Ditto this. Will add: once you've had a few drinks order yourself a "General Lee." Make sure they bring you the car.

Gene likes this.