The Amsterdam Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 305169

Reaction score
A friend of mine is headed to Amsterdam next week and was looking for advice on places to visit, bars/beer stores to frequent, people to drink with, etc. If any TB'ers live there (or have visited recently), I'd love to hear from you. :)

Bottle shop.... there is only one worth checking out.
De Bierkoning. Tiny place, great people running it, and right downtown.
When I was there in the late fall I asked for a recommendation for local fare. She recommended a brown cafe around the corner. Food was traditional and hearty, the place was busy and full of locals, and inexpensive. We had such a great time we went the next night too. Beer selection there was limited but they had Westmalle.
Apparently there is a good beer bar very close to that but we didn't check it out as I usually had enough with dinner.

Places to visit.... Anne Frank house is an obvious one, but if you don't have prepaid and timed tickets during the week, forget it. Crazy busy later in the day and nuts on the weekends.
Rijksmuseum is pretty good. Lots of local masters and a couple masterpieces by Rembrandt worth the price of admission. We also did the Van Gogh museum which I recommend if you are a fan of his (obviously) or the impressionist movement.
Spare yourself the Heineken experience. Total waste of $.

The BEST part of the city is experienced by just walking it. We stayed on the river and in the west part of downtown.
Walked through Jordaan daily and hit the market there when it was open for freshly squeezed juices, some pickled herring, breads, cheeses, etc.
And watch your ass for the bikes. Goddamn! ;)

Bar wise I really enjoyed Cafe Gollem, which had two locations when we were there (almost 2 years ago). Checking them out now the one we went too seems to have closed, but they've opened up two more elsewhere too. Great food, and diverse belgian bottle list - would recommend.

That's a good "party" hostel, I assume? That's definitely what I'm after; traveling alone, free as a bird.

From my research a few years ago when I went, it's the only hostel that allows smoking inside i.e. a dedicated smoking room in the middle of the place. Great way to meet up, start your day with an idea of what you want to do, start a convo with some people in there, and head out together or solo - other great days include spending hours hanging, getting to know, or watching the in/out flow of people in that room. Be sure to venture outside of course though, such a beautiful city. I'd love to live there but remember two things Barneys & watch out for bikes, srs. Amsterdam, the only place I've seen napkin dispensers of rolling papers...everywhere

Train ride to Brussels is extremely close as well from what I remember, which I'm sure you've looked up. Any plans to utilize that?
Thanks for the tips!

Yep. Amsterdam --> Belgium --> Paris --> Montpellier --> Barcelona is the tentative plan. I may divert myself to whatever city has a world cup game that day, though :D

Doing some research for a possible return here, so thanks for the recommendations! I don't believe Proeflokaal Arendsnest was mentioned yet, but they had an excellent lineup of Dutch beers on tap. Cafe Hoppe (open since 1670) was also fun, but I don't recall how excellent the beer selection was. After some beer if you are hungry, the fries are excellent at Vlaamse Friteshuis.

Doing some research for a possible return here, so thanks for the recommendations! I don't believe Proeflokaal Arendsnest was mentioned yet, but they had an excellent lineup of Dutch beers on tap. Cafe Hoppe (open since 1670) was also fun, but I don't recall how excellent the beer selection was. After some beer if you are hungry, the fries are excellent at Vlaamse Friteshuis.
There's a brewery, 't IJ, inside a windmill that had some nice stuff. The amber was a standout if I remember right.
http://www.brouwerijhetij.nl/splash-page-nl/

Uhh so is this the only content on Amsterdam? Anybody have any updates/recommendations? Headed there this fall - usually look to TB for at least some guidance on what to do, see, eat, drink, etc.

I've got like 8hrs in Amsterdam, then a couple days in Eindhoven and Belgium. Any suggestions for Eindhoven? GF is working/'team building' for 2 days, that usually means drinking and wandering for me.

I've got like 8hrs in Amsterdam, then a couple days in Eindhoven and Belgium. Any suggestions for Eindhoven? GF is working/'team building' for 2 days, that usually means drinking and wandering for me.
Heyyy I'm from Eindhoven
Just go to van Moll. **** the rest.

As far as bottle shops go, Bierbrigadier is great and Bottle Shop is cool too. I

Heyyy I'm from Eindhoven
Just go to van Moll. **** the rest.

As far as bottle shops go, Bierbrigadier is great and Bottle Shop is cool too. I

Thanks!

Any suggestions on non-beery things, or should I just drink all day? We might end up with a car at some point.

Thanks!

Any suggestions on non-beery things, or should I just drink all day? We might end up with a car at some point.
Eindhoven is probably the least interesting City for tourists in the country. There's a couple villages on the border of the city like Nuenen where van Gogh is from that are nice but the city itself isn't too interesting.
I would probably recommend visiting another city that is close to Eindhoven like Maastricht (1 hour), Brussels (1:15) or Breda (30 min)

Best bottle shop in Amsterdam is Sterk Avondverkoop, not too far from Bierkoning and a lot cheaper. It's bascically a grocery store open until 1 in the night with about 1500 beers.

Bars I'd say In de Wildeman is a must. Close by is Beer temple for American beers. For Dutch beers go to Arendsnest or a bit further Tap Zuid.

One of my favorite places is Foeders, a bit further from the centre but super nice atmosphere and amazing service.

There's tons of other places, I think the top list on Ratebeer is quite accurate, though a lot of tourist tend to really like places that look old but have no good beers.

Steve and I had a good time at Tales and Spirits. Cocktails were good and people watching was top notch (sat outside on a Saturday night).

Steve and I had a good time at Tales and Spirits. Cocktails were good and people watching was top notch (sat outside on a Saturday night).
Ditto this. Will add: once you've had a few drinks order yourself a "General Lee." Make sure they bring you the car.

Check out what's playing at the Paradiso. Mars Volta annihilated my face at that venue when I visited in the 2000s

Now that tickets are going for sale; anyone coming over for this years' Carnivale Brettanomyces?

I'm on the fence, would you recommend it?

I've heard and read about it, but have never been before. The event page is slightly confusing to me - do you buy tickets for separate talks?

I've heard and read about it, but have never been before. The event page is slightly confusing to me - do you buy tickets for separate talks?
Yeah, you need to plan in advance what you want to visit. Always a bit of a pain but worth it.
I've had a blast the past times, but it's pretty nerdy. I usually end up spending my time 50/50 attending super nerdy lectures and drinking

Yes there are ticketed events for talks and some tastings, but also lots of meet the brewer events where you don't need tickets. Also lots of great beers on tap at all venues. It's only of my beer highights of the year usually. Homebrew market is gold.

Thank you both for the insights. I’ll try and make it for one of the days as I’m travelling from Rotterdam. Tips on anything or place not to miss are definitely welcome.

I always like the events on the sidewalk in front of de Bierkoning, though last year the beer prices were quite high. It's always cool to go to at least one lecture/tasting. "Homebrewmarket" is always great as well (with some seriously great stuff). Otherwise just wander from place to place and drink good beer :cool:

Bump

Going to be in town from 3/25/19 through 3/31/19 with my future brother in law and his brother for his non-traditional bachelor party.

I'm the only beer nerd in the group, so looking for things that might be interesting to everyone and not just myself.

Going to try and convince our group to take the train to Brussels for a day, but aside from that I'm wide open for recommendations on food / alcohol / culture and things to avoid.

Cheers!

Bump

Going to try and convince our group to take the train to Brussels for a day, but aside from that I'm wide open for recommendations on food / alcohol / culture and things to avoid.

Cheers!

Haha, bit late reply... I think taking the train to Brussels just for one is worth it to go and pick up bottles or visit specific stuff, but you won't have time enough to properly explore since it's about 3 hours each way.

Personally I think Amsterdam is a bit too crowded these days with so many tourists. I'd go and visit a nice nearby town like Haarlem or something for a day. More quiet, lots of nice stuff to see and good food/beer.

In Amsterdam there's all the usual suspects as far as beer places go, but don't forget Foeders, pretty amazing bar.

Bump

Going to be in town from 3/25/19 through 3/31/19 with my future brother in law and his brother for his non-traditional bachelor party.

I'm the only beer nerd in the group, so looking for things that might be interesting to everyone and not just myself.

Cheers!

I forgot all about this
I'd never pick anything over Amsterdam as a tourist. There's a reason it's busy and it's not because Haarlem is more fun to visit. Really Amsterdam is the only thing that comes close to an actual city in the Netherlands, even though it still sort of feels like a village.

Anyway to visit; Le Fou Fow has good ramen. Vleminckx in the Voetboogstraat has the best french fries in the country, which is very much street food. Yuan’s Hot Pot has, you guessed it, good hot pot. Bar Alt wants to be good at beer and food pairing but really isn't all that great. Caviar and fresh Alt is really something though, so maybe sit at the bar and just stuff your face with that. Taste of Culture near the Leidseplein is open till late and has really good authentic Chinese food, think 2 AM off your face drunk pig intestines stuffed with shrimp roe, they do more easily liked dishes too of course. Sampurna does a fine Indonesian food (rijsttafel) which is pretty much Dutch food.
For other random good restaurants, there's Rijsel, Bak, Choux, Daalder (super place), Café Caron, Auberge Jean & Marie en Scheepskameel.

As for beer, Foeders is indeed great. You don't even need to go to Brussels to get your fix, he has Bokkereyder and a lot of speciallekes from the other breweries. In de Wildeman usually has a good menu and het Arendsnest is fun as they only do Dutch beers.

I think a good rule of thumb is to avoid everything that starts with "Amsterdam". Don't go to the Amsterdam Dungeon or the Amsterdam Sex Museum or something dumb like that. Also avoid any place that is proud of its "authentic" Dutch food.

Last edited:
I forgot all about this
I'd never pick anything over Amsterdam as a tourist. There's a reason it's busy and it's not because Haarlem is more fun to visit. Really Amsterdam is the only thing that comes close to an actual city in the Netherlands, even though it still sort of feels like a village.

Anyway to visit; Le Fou Fow has good ramen. Vleminckx in the Voetboogstraat has the best french fries in the country, which is very much street food. Yuan’s Hot Pot has, you guessed it, good hot pot. Bar Alt wants to be good at beer and food pairing but really isn't all that great. Caviar and fresh Alt is really something though, so maybe sit at the bar and just stuff your face with that. Taste of Culture near the Leidseplein is open till late and has really good authentic Chinese food, think 2 AM off your face drunk pig intestines stuffed with shrimp roe, they do more easily liked dishes too of course. Sampurna does a fine Indonesian food (rijsttafel) which is pretty much Dutch food.
For other random good restaurants, there's Rijsel, Bak, Choux, Daalder (super place), Café Caron, Auberge Jean & Marie en Scheepskameel.

As for beer, Foeders is indeed great. You don't even need to go to Brussels to get your fix, he has Bokkereyder and a lot of speciallekes from the other breweries. In de Wildeman usually has a good menu and het Arendsnest is fun as they only do Dutch beers.

I think a good rule of thumb is to avoid everything that starts with "Amsterdam". Don't go to the Amsterdam Dungeon or the Amsterdam Sex Museum or something dumb like that. Also avoid any place that is proud of its "authentic" Dutch food.
I'm glad I saw this. The fiance and I will be in Amsterdam again in April (second time there) and I'm really hoping to find better restaurants this go 'round. We're staying at the Kimpton just south of Centraal and don't mind using Uber or navigating tram rides. A few restaurants I've had my eye on already are Cannibale Royale, Lion Noir, Bluespoon and Herengracht (it doesn't look terribly impressive, food-wise, but maybe would be nice to sit outside on our first night while recovering from jet lag). Any of these really worth it? I'll start going down the list of places you already mentioned above, Saind .

Gonzoillini , we had a great time at Foodhallen and Oedipus Brewing. The latter may be a hard sell if no one else is really into beer since it's on Amsterdam North and requires a short boat ride and a walk to get there (then again, you get to take a boat ride). Boom Chicago was much more entertaining than we thought it would be - not saying it's a 'must see' by any means, but we laughed a lot and it was interesting to see Chicago-style improv in a different culture (show was in English, audience was probably 50/50 Americans and Europeans). If you can, book a tour with Those Dam Boat Guys - smaller, more casual tours and the boats are BYO. We're also doing a walking/progressive dinner tour with Hungry Birds this trip, too.

I forgot all about this

All great advice.
Completely agree, Amsterdam is an amazing city with so much to offer. Go to museums earlier, go to some of the smaller museums too, such as FOAM.
My favorite bars are Arendsnest and Foeders.
Oedipus is great and worth a visit.
Haarlem is a definitely worth a day trip too, if you are in the area for more than 3 for 4 days, otherwise just stay in Amsterdam.

Tons of great coffee too: lot sixty one, bocca, the Coffee Vine pop up, Scandinavian embassy

Some restaurants I really enjoy: Little Collins, Arles, Glou Glou (all 3 of which are near Foeders), Foodhallen (food hall w lots of cool places, something for everyone), Mamouche (Moroccan), vegetarian: Traffic Hummus, Dop Hert, Meatless District, Dutch Weed Burger Joint.

There is also a November Project in Amsterdam, always fun and a good workout, and free.

Cheers

Back