US - Mid-Atlantic The central PA discussion

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by stakem, Oct 25, 2013.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. stakem

stakem

From Bullfrog to Troegs and everything inbetween. We need a lookout and notices thread too.

Yesterday Troegs released draft Master of Pumpkins with growler fill option. Today, bottles are out. 750ml corked and $13.

Troegs LaGrave triple also makes its appearance in corked and caged 375's in 4-packs and cases in the general store with single bottle sales available at the bar for onsite consumption.

jivex5k and Scalzo like this.
  2. stakem

stakem

Either I am the only person from central PA on this forum or everyone is disgusted with me starting this conversation off with master of shitkins.

In other news, Splinter Brown was released for onsite only consumption. At first they stated the beer was overcarbed and too dangerous to take off site, now the issues lie with fragile cages? Not sure what thats suppose to mean. The beer itself is decent and does not at all appear or feel to be any more carbonated than others. I really hope this trend of drinking beer onsite only does not continue... However, I understand its wonderful from a business perspective. Patrons are more likely to spend extra money on other things during the visit instead of getting bottles and leaving right away.

Troegs also released a mushroom porter in their scratch series. It has little to no mushroom character and the beer tastes like 4 year old dead reckoning. I cant help but wonder if the mushroom idea was just the next shock value experiment. Coming from Troegs this was surprising.

LaChupacabra likes this.
  3. xnicknj

xnicknj

This whole on-site only caveat and subsequent multiple explanations was kinda weird. I understand if they want to limit it to on-site only, but it definitely makes it tougher for people from outside the area to enjoy it. I wanted to stop by on Sunday but I really didn't have any extra time to drive from Lancaster to Hershey and hang out for an hour or so since I had to get back to Philly.

4. Max

Max

i'm with you... couldn't find the time to get out there (~2 hour drive for me) just to try the beer and drive home. so a little disappointed for sure.

5. heffnate77

heffnate77

I'll be in the Allentown area in a couple weeks and was thinking of visiting a brewery or 2...probably Tired Hands or Pizza Boy, but if there are any other suggestions within about an hour of Allentown, I'd appreciate it.

crunnkface likes this.
  6. lazerviking

lazerviking

Pizza Boy is not close to Allentown and Tired Hands is an hour away. I would hit up Weyerbacher for sure because you will be so close. If you do decide to head towards Philly and go to Tired Hands, you might also consider stopping at Forest and Main in Ambler, PA.

7. Max

Max

Fegley's is also right in downtown allentown... it's a cool place. the beer is not other worldly or anything, but solid.

8. heffnate77

heffnate77

Thanks for the info. I never said Pizza Boy was close, I just said I'd be willing to drive about an hour and Pizza Boy is a little over an hour away, hence within my range. Thanks again.

Fegley's is obviously tempting too...I've only had their Imp Pumpkin...not bad. Thanks.

9. xnicknj

xnicknj

It's worth the drive. I took an hourish ride up there this summer when I stayed in Lancaster and was glad I did it.

10. Max

Max

pizza boy/al's is cool because they not only have the beer brewed on site but they have other stuff on tap as well. i usually stick to the pizza boy stuff bc i can't get that anywhere else. everything i've had has been really solid. but i've only been there twice.

11. lazerviking

lazerviking

I'm a big Pizza Boy fan, but if you have to decide between the two, I would make the (shorter) trip to TH. Both make great beers though.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  12. gengle

gengle

13. gengle

gengle

Impending Decent release @ Troegs on 11/29 ... on tap and bottles in the tasting room (sixers and cases).

14. regularjohn

regularjohn

hey guys im gonna be heading to fites lan in febuary, this is where its gonna be at

Park Inn
    5401 CARLISLE PIKE
    MECHANICSBURG, PA 17050

can anyone in PA make suggestions as far as stores/bars go that are in this area? thanks!

15. ktaylor17815

ktaylor17815

How long will you be in town? If you have some time Troegs is in Hershey about 25 min north. Also there is Appalachian and Lancaster Brewing in Harrisburg as well as some decent taps down bear 2nd street.

regularjohn likes this.
  16. regularjohn

regularjohn

im gonna be there all weekend, it falls on feb 21-23. i'll definitely hit up troegs since i haven't been there yet....i know its not for a while but i'll definitely post up here again when its getting closer to the date in case anyone wants to meet up and do an IP trade or just have some drinks, cheers !

17. Max

Max

surprised no one has suggested pizza boy/al's of hampden. seems like it's only ~10mins from where you'll be.

regularjohn likes this.
  18. regularjohn

regularjohn

thanks for mentiong that one max, i checked out pizza boy/als and it looks like lancaster and troegs are close to that as well, ill have a few spots to check out now

19. gengle

gengle

I'd pass on Lancaster Brewing. Troegs would be time better spent. Al's\Pizza Boy shouldn't be missed and it's very close to your location. PB is killing sours right now! If your're into Belgians at all, Cafe Bruges in Carlisle is top notch. Wegman's on the Carlisle Pike has a decent bottle selection (be mindful of best buy\bottling dates) and there's Westy's distributor for cases.

regularjohn likes this.
  20. stakem

stakem

Best thing I have read about Troegs in a long time:

Bourbon Troegenator coming to bottles this month in the gift shop to-go. Plans to make it a seasonal release with limited distribution in coming years. This beer was awesome last year on draft. Please God, dont let them fuck the bottles up.

Nugget nectar also comes out monday at least at Troegs. Cant wait to see if this is back to being the beer that made me fall in love with Troegs or the turd it has been off and on the past few years.

Lots of other details in their latest newsletter but these were most noteable/timely.