The getting healthy thread

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by Gene, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Gene

Gene Administrator Staff Member

For obvious reasons, it is not easy to stay in shape (or harder yet, get in shape) when you consider the pursuit and enjoyment of beer and whiskey to be somewhere on the spectrum between "hobby" and "defining characteristic." Nevertheless, we all know it's important to keep ourselves in somewhat serviceable condition, particularly because the first thing you'll hear from the doc when you encounter many kinds of serious health issues is "no alcohol." We should strive to avoid that consequence at all costs.

I decided to create this thread because I've seen some of my favorite beer geeks (MKtheGeneral and powz87 most recently) working hard to counteract the effects of liquid bread, and I just managed to get below 200lbs today for the first time in 10 years - that's down from over 245lbs back in May. (I'm 5'7" on a good day, so I've still got a lot to lose.)

Would love to hear how you guys have found success, see what you're eating on cheat day, and so on. (Obvious shout-out to the weight lifting thread.)

2. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Not Patrick

1) Get fed up of #newmoney and back out of the beer scene
    2) Move driving distance away from tasting group, be afraid of trigger-happy cops
    3) Drink less, get bored, eat protein to fill the void, build a garage gym, start posting less on TB

I can't even tell if I'm joking anymore.

~~~

Srs part.

1) Figure out your BMR. Weigh / measure / calculate EVERYTHING you eat for 3 weeks. Take the average intake (A). Weigh yourself at the start, ideally daily throughout, and at the end. Take the difference in weight, assume it is all fat, multiply by 3500, divide by 21 (B). That's how many extra calories you consumed daily over your BMR. Take your average daily intake (A) and subtract the excess (B) to get your BMR (C).
    2) Subtract 300-500 calories from your BMR (C) to get your daily target caloric intake (D). 500 calorie deficit means about 1 pound of fat loss per week. 300 is a little more manageable. Don't go over 500 as it will shock your system (I've done this).
    3) Eat strictly (D) daily, and no more or less, for 4 weeks. Cheat meals fine, but do not exceed calories. For 6 days, shoot for 40% protein (chicken, fish, beef), 30% healthy fat (avocados, nuts, salmon), 30% carbs (preferably slow-carbs like brown rice, quinoa, veggies, beans ... fibrous stuff). Don't be afraid to make food flavorful, but be mindful of portions and intake. Weigh yourself at the start of this 4-week period and again at the end.
    4) At the end of four months, start back at 1. Re-calculate BMR. If it hasn't changed much, good -- you are doing things in a slow, healthy manner (no body shock). Keep it up. If you've really fucked up, post here and be honest about your intake and habits.

This is a lifestyle change. Yes, it will suck at times. No, it is not easy, and don't listen to anyone who is pious about it. Shit is hard. But it's worth it.

Exercise is a separate topic. For that, I will defer to men stronger than me.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  3. abawol01

abawol01

The trick is you gotta chew sugarless gum. That and Kalteen bars.

[​IMG]

4. bwolfe84

bwolfe84

To be honest, mine all started with CrossFit. I am 5'8" and when I walked in the door on my first day I was 199#. I played around with different nutrition plans like paleo, zone, and the shit they preach but I was still stuck around 185. I found a nutrition coaching company called renaissance periodization and bought their auto templates and thats when the weight started to really come off. I dropped to 169# in the course of 12 weeks following their plan and going to CrossFit classes 5 days a week, M T W F S. I have since transitioned to strictly Olympic Weightlifting and have packed on some quality weight in lean muscle and stronger than I have ever been. Many people like to trash CrossFit for obvious reasons and I don't have a problem with that. All I can say is that if you find a quality gym with good coaches you will be surprised at the shape you can get into. I was a high school athlete and once I graduated I completely quit exercising and once I walked in to that gym I knew I found something I could stick with . Love it or hate it, it is what got me started and I don't regret one minute of it.

5. housepants

housepants

Gene this will be a big test for your discipline. you have made great progress, but that initial weight loss was likely the easy part. simple changes in diet can have a huge effect on your body when you are eating/drinking way more than you should be (cal wise). Arbitrator gave great advice, but if you think you can handle exercise on top of a major diet change, bwolfe84 gave some good advice too, though fuck working out 5 days a week ;)

6. gregkoko

gregkoko

I went from 375 to 190 about five years ago (and am now up around 220ish I think...I ditched the scale a while ago). I'm 6'2" FWIW

This is essentially going to piggy back off Arbitrator's post, but in a more simplified version.

First things first, you've got to want it. I mean really really want it. I was big my whole life and always said I would lose weight or I would go on a diet or whatever, but it was all bullshit. Finally something in my head just clicked and I decided it was time. Bought a scale, multivitamins, running shoes, the whole nine yards.

You do NOT have to start running five miles a day or do crazy weightlifting exercises (but you'll certainly build up to it). I couldn't run the quarter mile needed to sync up my Nike+ toggle on my shoes when I started. If I couldn't run, I'd walk and run and walk and run and walk. Eventually a quarter mile, became a half mile, became a mile, and so forth. I was out there running/walking every single day. Sometimes twice a day. Now, I'm running the NYC Marathon in 17 days!

Do NOT obsess over what the scale says. It got to the point for me where I wouldn't drink a glass of water because I just couldn't take the scale saying that I was a few ounces heavier than the day before. Eat smart, but don't just cut every bit of food out of your diet. I had a piece of fruit for breakfast, a salad for lunch, and lean protein/veggies for dinner. I don't even think that was 1,000 calories a day. That was fucking dangerous. Don't do it. Smart diet, and sorry to say but you'll have to cut back on your beer consumption.

Eventually you will find a balance of diet and exercise that works for you. If you're bigger, you'll be shocked at how quickly you start to lose weight. If you plateau, don't freak out. Your body may just need time to catch up to what you're doing. If you're sticking to your plan, you will continue to lose. Also, this isn't just about a number. This is about feeling better about yourself. It's about having more energy to enjoy everything in your life.

Once you've lost it all, the work isn't over. You may not need to exercise every day and have a crazy diet, but you still want to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Beware the backslide, but don't get discouraged. You're likely to put a few pounds back on...it's ok.

7. blue_bleeder

blue_bleeder

therockstandingovation.gif

8. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Not Patrick

@Patrick would have worked out 9 days a week.

I don't even.

9. Powzy

Powzy DisapPowzment

All of this. Made it down to 280ish a few years back tore my shoulder up ballooned back up to Godzilla sized. Start by doing something fun for cardio, for me it's racquetball. For a diet I've been doing high protein and low sodium. I've cut out things like coffee, energy drinks, etc. Went from drinking almost daily to a beer or two a week. Don't cut out everything you like or you'll be miserable.

Rock31, ChicagoGuy, mwbbq and 26 others like this.
  10. gregkoko

gregkoko

Very very very true. I was about a month in when football season started. I have season tickets for Rutgers and would always get together with a big group of friends for the game. I'd have a burger and two or three beers instead of two burgers, two sausages, a hot dog, and like twelve beers.

11. thefleshlight

thefleshlight

Losing weight should be changed to losing BF. I wanna gain weight and I'm in the mid 200lbs area ATM.

cfh64, Arbitrator, drbenzo and 3 others like this.
  12. MKtheGeneral

MKtheGeneral

Honestly for me it a combination of things. Most notably,
    1) Drinking a ton more water, both for hydration purposes but also to fill myself up
    2) Holding myself accountable to eating well. Instead of starting the morning with a mocha and a chocolate croissant or morning bun I'd shifted to black coffee and greek yogurts. Instead of eating a box of jujyfruits during the day I eat a banana. Instead of having fried rice or flat noodles for lunch from the thai restaurant I'll have the beef salad with extra beef or the salmon with green curry and only eat 1/3 of the brown rice. Etc.
    3) Went from being sedentary to crossfitting 3-5 days a week.
    4) Getting upset when I saw my wedding photos motivated me to get things in order, looking back at them keeps me in order.

At 6' height - down from 222 at the most, to 181 at the least and now floating on either side of 190 pretty healthily. Strength gains have been solid all around too with back squat up to 335lbs, power clean up to 215lbs, deadliift up to 460lbs.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
    mwbbq, EnjoyBy, hamburger and 23 others like this.
  13. Brady

Brady Moderator Staff Member

I just got a standup desk. Trying to do as little as possible to lose this gut.

14. HenrikO

HenrikO

In my ongoing battle between fitness and beer, beer has started losing more often. Scary! I've needed to cut out excess calories from my diet and the low-hanging fruit has been beer - it's so obviously excess calories. I'm more or less down to drinking once a week now, and even if I don't succeed I still drink way less than I used to, and feel all the better for it.

I've been exercising regularly on and off since 2001, but the operative word here is "on and off" - over the first few years I managed to go from over 90 kgs to 70 (I'm 1.7 m tall - we're metric over here and I'm too lazy to convert, live with it) but then I gradually gained many of those lost kilos back... Last Xmas, my wife gave me 6 hours with a PT as my gift, started in January and I've been loving it (I've continued to pay for it out of my own pocket ever since the first 6 hours ran out). Turns out having someone literally looking over my shoulder and telling me to work harder was exactly what I needed. I do one half-hour session with the PT once a week, and then I aim to hit the gym or do some other form of exercise (running mostly) at least 4 days a week, often more. For me it's really about getting in better shape generally, not specifically about losing weight (I'm not tracking what I eat at all, just try to eat smarter - less candy/fast food/beer/crap, more vegetables and lean proteins) - exercise has focused on combined strength and cardio, lots of HIIT, grit, tabatas, that kind of stuff (plus some core/functional fitness group sessions). Gym is adjacent to work which is very important for convenience. Recently I've shifted to focusing more on strength (classic weight lifting), mostly just to change things around because I get bored easily doing the same stuff over and over again. For the first time in my life I've actually got actual visible muscles other than on my calves (running was my preferred and only form of exercise for a long time), I've dropped 2 jeans sizes since January and I have no idea how much weight I've lost because I don't use a scale anymore, ZFG.

Still going to have a hella big beer tasting tomorrow since the wife is taking the kids away for the weekend.

mwbbq, hamburger, claaark13 and 18 others like this.
  15. MKtheGeneral

MKtheGeneral

1) Congratulations my friend
    2) Prepare to receive hatred for the use of the metric system

16. abawol01

abawol01

[​IMG]

17. HenrikO

HenrikO

Thanks, right back atcha!

I just calculated how much you can deadlift in kilos. Man, you're a BEAST! (I'm working at 8 * 3 at 135 lbs at the moment, goal is to be able to squat and deadlift my body weight (about 175-180 lbs) before Xmas)

18. stakem

stakem

Great topic Gene

Im 6'2" and last year I was creeping in on the 300lb mark. Im now 40 pounds lighter still working towards my goal of being a fitter looking/feeling 250. I started by limiting the amount of beer I drank during the week and made smarter eating choices. Also found myself drinking more water and not eating shitty snacks after dinner time. Just simply doing that cut 5 pounds off without doing any "diet."

After that, I started rowing on an indoor rowing machine 3 times a week and used my break times at work to just get up and move. On weekends I started riding bike. Nothing huge or brag worthy, just making a constant effort to move. Again...I had no diet plan, just eating smarter choices and "letting go" a little on the weekends to enjoy beer and not so healthy food.

4 weeks ago I started lifting weights. At this point I already consider myself addicted to the lifestyle change. Instead of looking forward to waking up and rowing faster/further than last time, im doing more reps and weight than the week prior and on "rest days" I still find myself wanting to row for at least 30 minutes.

Yeah...I drink a lot less beer than I did before but its a positive thing both for my health and bank account. I had a couple health related problems like acid reflux and anxiety that have basically gone away since ive lost the weight.

19. TripleSixHoppia

TripleSixHoppia

So you want to stop being a fat ass

[​IMG]

Take everything you have ever learned about fitness and forget it, right now. The public’s general knowledge on getting in shape is horribly misinformed. But not to fret, getting in shape is actually quite easy, a lot easier than even what you see on the commercials. All you need to do is eat better and move more. That is it. You don't need special ab coasters or shake weights, just nutritious food and more activity in your day. One of the best ways to get in shape is to pick up heavy objects, that's right weight training.

But you might say, “I don't want to get bulky.” Ask any of the Talkbeer Swole Crew and they will tell you that they wish all you had to do was lift weights to get big. To get big you have to eat big. REALLY BIG as a matter of fact. Like 3k-5k calories. This goes for women too, you are not going to get bulky lifting weights. So put down your resistance bands and pick up some real weight.

I Want to Lose Weight

Diet is your single most important factor on your path to weight loss. But it’s as easy as, if you don't eat like a fat ass and you won't be one. Cut out the fast food and soda and make better food choices. If it comes in a box and you can't pronounce the ingredients on the label, DON’T EAT IT. It is that simple. If all you are looking for is to get in better shape and look better in the mirror then it is as simple as that. There are many diets that people swear by; Low carb, Neanderthal, ect. But what you want is something that you can keep for the rest of your life. Getting in shape doesn't happen in forms of a temporary diet. What you want to do is eat lean protein, good carbs, and good fat. Yes ,fat.

Good Stuff.
    Protein:
    Lean cuts of beef, pork, chicken, fish, eggs.

Fruits and Vegtables:
    ALL OF THEM. EAT MORE NOW.

Fat:
    Olive Oil, Milk, Natural Peanut Butter.

The number one thing is to make sure you eat. If you are eating too little calories it will be counter productive to what you want to do. You will shut your body down and turn it from a fat burning machine to a muscle burning machine. And you will gain all your weight back and more after you realize that a crazy diet like that can't be sustained.

But I Just Want to Lose Some Tummy Fat

Spot reduction is a myth, fat and muscle are two different things. You can't tone, or tighten so stop trying. You could do 1000 sit-ups a day and still not have abs if you're sitting at 20% body fat.

Start Lifting
    [​IMG]

Building muscle not only burns calories while you are doing it, but it also burns them after. Repairing and just having muscle burns calories while you sit on your ass. So why the fuck wouldn't you want to lift weights. And for beginners you should stick to compound moves.

Here are 2 basic routines that work very well for beginners and can be beneficial for 1 - 2 years before you have to get more advanced.

<<<<<HERE IS A GREAT ONLINE BOOK TO READ>>>>>
    http://brainoverbrawn.com/get-the-book/

Squat

Deadlift

Bench

20. HenrikO

HenrikO

+1, it's really pretty simple. Eat less crap stuff, eat more good stuff. Just eating more veg is better than any paleo/LCHF/fad diet of the week crap. Do something you can keep doing, not something you will give up on after one month.

I'm working up to lifting more, bro. I can feel the change. I've never been a strong person and, surprise surprise, it feels really good to be able to lift heavy stuff.