The getting healthy thread

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by Gene, Oct 15, 2015.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus

I always feel like a weekend of drinking Guinness and carbombs, and eating Chinese, Mexican, and Wendy's serves as pretty good motivation to get back on the wagon on Monday.

2. stakem

stakem

New phone, who dis?

Dad?

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  3. JulianB

JulianB

Weight is down to 192. Strength is way up. Eating well. Hitting the gym regularly for both weight training and cardio/endurance. Doing a no alcohol detox that's going to go a while, and it feels good. Hopeful that I can hit my 170lb goal by my birthday (start of June), but even if I miss it by a bit, no big deal as long as these improvements continue.

4. furley

furley

went to a kid's birthday party this weekend at a gymnastics/tumbling place. really dialed in just how out of shape i am. legs are fine, cardio is good but my core and upper body are that of a man waking from a 1 year coma. jesus.

another guy there climbed up a 20 foot rope in about the blink of an eye then did some flips like it was nothing. granted he was around 20 or so but i thought "let me see how far up that rope i can go". the answer is. no. i can't. just grabbing on to the rope and swinging out in to the middle of the foam pit made my core tense up and 3 days later i'm still sore.

time to stop making excuses and start on some sort of upper body workout. if only so i can lift a gallon of milk without quaking and going to my knees or something.

JulianB, capnmike, Phin and 2 others like this.
  5. tosh

tosh Premium Supporter Contributor

6. AndresR

AndresR

I started doing the 16:8 intermittent fasting dealio last week. Did 16's for 4 days and a 20 for one day. Its crazy how good I was feeling the whole time. I'm not trying to lose weight. I'm mostly doing it for improved gut health. But as a positive side effect, I noticed I had way less brain fog while working. That was fascinating.

I'm gonna stick with it for a few months and see how it goes. Anyone else try it? How'd you do?

stakem likes this.
  7. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus

Fuck off, twat. Grow a pair and stop being so precious about everything. It's the name of a drink. I didn't come up with it.

Jacco Macacco and furley like this.
  8. Kasher

Kasher

Decided to make a new drink.

I call it "Chiropractors are hacks who just couldn't hack it in med school and sell pseudoquackery to make a buck and don't care about their patients."

What's in it you may ask? Who the fuck cares. Not like it's important.

Also, good job being healthier everyone. Keep up the good work.

9. TripleSixHoppia

TripleSixHoppia

Doctors can be just as bad. Both mostly give solutions to the symptoms and don't fix the root cause of the problem. If they don't give you a likely cause, with a direct long term plan on how to fix it, you need to find advice from someone else.

Once you learn the basics of human movement, you can watch the way people walk and tell if they have or will have hip, back, and knee issues.

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  10. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus

No matter who coaches you through it, optimizing joint biomechanics through proprioceptive and mechanoreceptive input, i.e. neuromuscular patterning, is a great way to get and stay as functional as you can. Habituation is the only way the human body learns, be it bad habits or good ones.

11. TripleSixHoppia

TripleSixHoppia

Bro, I see so many people come into our gym that don't even have the hip mobility to squat down while holding onto something. And these are 30 year olds. People like to shit on soft tissue and mobility work right now for some reason. But if they can't even get into a correct position on basic task, you have to use every tool you have to get them there. We have to figure out what is preventing you from getting in the right position, do what ever soft tissue/mobility work to correct it, then start hammering that correct position and strengthen it.

The problem with a lot of Chiropractors is they will "adjust" you and get you back into proper ranges of motion, but don't give you an action plan to fix the issues. So you'll walk out of the office with your same duck foot walk with extreme knee valgus and one week later your knees and back are hurting again.

A doctor does the same shit most of the time, except they'll give you a pill or want to do knee surgery. When 99% of the time what is hurting is not the issue. Problems are usually up or down stream of the joint.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  12. BeersMorgan

BeersMorgan

afd5aa32d7f18151c3656b99378d39395228a1c3aeafaac07377830b9dbb7fac.jpg

TripleSixHoppia likes this.
  13. harrymel

harrymel

Will be out of town and without inter webs so doing my monthly progress note.

3/28- Down 9.4% from year start.

Continued intermittent fasting. This month was my birthday, so that week was awesome, just not for IF. I was hoping to get to 10% by end of Q1 with Q2 goal being 15%, and end year 20%. I generally do a 18-20 hour fast. If I end up with a lunch date it’s a 16 hour fast.

Interestingly, body shape seems to be changing faster than the scale. As somebody who has Ying-yanged plenty in my current zone, the clothes feel more loose than typical at this weight. Shrug.

Things I will be able to do to help as year progresses to avoid stagnation include:

1- portion control. I don’t restrict my one meal a day as is, eat until I’m full...or more really

2- alcohol restriction. If I want to drink during my window, no restrictions. Of course trouble arises if I’m drunk as it’s ZFG munchies time then and I fuck up my fasting.

3- add more activity. In my twenties hitting the gym was just part of the routine. I’m more apt to take the kids for a walk or hike these days. As it warms that’ll be more common.

14. harrymel

harrymel

Monthly check-in. Down 11% from year start.

15. stakem

stakem

3 years ago today I did a full distance marathon on the water rower. It took me 3.5 hours to finish.

Since that day, ive dropped the exclusive focus on cardio/weightloss and opted for lifting weights and only rowing 2x per week as my choice for cardio but rarely do I row for more than a 40 minute duration.

I rowed for 45 minutes this morning and my ass hurt so bad, I cant believe I rocked that shit for 4x longer when I was doing the marathon.

Im disappointed I dont have a picture of myself and what I looked like on this day 3 years ago. Today I am a much larger individual even though I weight 20lbs lighter. The thought of doing another marathon makes me want to puke. But its amazing what you can accomplish when you set your mind to it.

16. FTowne

FTowne

I've been hiking every morning before work and on the weekends (weather permitting). I logged a little over 70 miles last month and my goal for May is at least 100 miles. Doing some very, very, very minimal jogging during my hikes but my lungs are still on the rebound from 27 years of smoking, but I feel tons better than I did just a few months ago.

Also doing daily sets of push ups/sit ups/squat thrusts.

I'm not on a strict diet, but I'm eating tons more fruits and veggies on a daily basis and my main source for carbs is light beer. Still enjoy eating pizza and tacos...just doing it much less than before.

17. capnmike

capnmike

Nice work - my mom did 50 years, 18 to 68 then just quit cold turkey. She turned 85 in February.

18. harrymel

harrymel

Monthly check-in. Down 14.5% from year start.

19. FTowne

FTowne

I'm sitting at 80 miles and it doesn't look like I'll hit 100. Tons of rain all month so there were a handful of washout days or days where I threw in the towel after a few miles. I should be able to reach 90 miles total and I'll set my goal at 100 miles once again for the month of June.

Still loading up on veggies, fruits, and lean meat.

Haven't weighed myself, but I'm right in between my size 36 and 34 waist cargo shorts.

20. ObiWanKushnobi

ObiWanKushnobi

Been a really long time since I updated my progress. Weighed in on Memorial Day and I’m officially down 200 pounds total since my starting weight of 447 a little over 2 years ago. Goal weight is 210-220 so I have another 27-37 more pounds left to go. Also going to need to have surgery to get all of the excess skin removed which I’m not looking forward to.

[​IMG]

Need to take some update photos. Most recent comparison photo was taken in January of this year when I weighed in at 262.

[​IMG]

If you asked me a few years ago if I would ever lose 200 pounds I would have died from laughter. Never in a million years would I have believed I could accomplished this.

Group Builder