The getting healthy thread

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by Gene, Oct 15, 2015.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. Kasher

Kasher

Oh baby.

2. jbeezification

jbeezification

I have been doing intermittent fasting for the past 6 weeks, minus this past weekend when I had to work 16 hour shifts over night and I couldn’t keep up with the schedule.
    The first three days were tough since I am a taco junkie who wakes up 20 minutes earlier than necessary just to grab 2 barbacoa tacos on the way to work. The main issue was the routine. But by day 4 I wasn’t even hungry until 10:30am. I take lunch at 11 and I’m home by 6pm so I usually have a small quick dinner before I cook a larger dinner for my wife and kids.
    After this weeks work schedule I realized I don’t need to watch the clock as much as I need to watch the portions. I believe the whole point is to limit your intake.

AndresR likes this.
  3. AndresR

AndresR

Funny enough, I bought 3 large tacos at lunch yesterday, and split them between lunch and dinner. And I didn't even finish them. That was my food for the day. Felt good all day. Crazy.

jbeezification likes this.
  4. harrymel

harrymel

Feb down 6% from starting weight, only doing intermittent fasting
    Mar down 8.1%
    Apr down 9.4%
    May down 11%
    Jun down 14.5%
    Jul down 14.9%
    Aug down 16.3%

My nadir for July was 17.4%. Really wish I had avoided late nights last couple drinking beers and snacking. Would’ve made a decent difference. Nonetheless glad to be continuing with overall loss. Habits are pretty well adjusted and I seldom even think of breaking fast early. Really enjoy that I don’t have to spend too much time thinking about how I manage every meal.

5. furley

furley

is IF designed to break habits and reset the diet so that you make better food choices long-term or something?
    or
    is the long-term plan to only eat in 4 hour windows for the rest of your lives?
    or
    does IF weight loss eventually plateau and the weight holds somehow?

what i guess i'm wondering is what happens if/when you drop off the IF cycle?

6. shadowane

shadowane

I think it's 8 hour windows not that it really affects the rest of your questions.

7. dsigmon

dsigmon

IF is just another type of diet. You pick a diet based on what your life best allows you to adhere to. From a health perspective, the primary benefit of IF is keeping your body in a fasted state for an extended period of time which will keep your blood glucose levels low for most of the day. This has many benefits hormonally and for life longevity. The benefits of not stimulating insulin and having higher BG levels are vast. IF can benefit those who are having issues with insulin sensitivity (diabetic/borderline diabetic), especially if used with food choices that promote this as well.

I can see incorporating IF throughout your life. Sometimes life gets hectic and you may not want to wake up and cook a big breakfast. Maybe you’d like to jumpstart a new diet. Maybe you’d like to change some habits. Or, like some of my friends, you can use IF as a lifestyle choice and primarily eat in that manner with an occasional free day.

Nothing happens after you come off IF unless you change your food intake / choices significantly. Food in your mouth is food in your mouth. Doesn’t matter what time of day it is calorically speaking. Weight loss will plateau no matter what diet you use. Weight loss will also be determined by calories consumed and energy expended. If you start eating more you’ll start gaining more. Cut calories and start being more active, you’ll most likely start losing more weight although this will depend on many other possible variables such a current hormonal state.

8. harrymel

harrymel

Mar down 8.1%
    Apr down 9.4%
    May down 11%
    Jun down 14.5%
    Jul down 14.9%
    Aug down 16.3%
    Sept down 16.2%
    Oct down 17.8%
    Nov down 20.6%

Going well. Will be happy to avoid rebound thru holiday and stout season

9. AndresR

AndresR

Holidays are TOUGH!!!

[​IMG]

Fingolfin, Moondog, capnmike and 4 others like this.
  10. harrymel

harrymel

Mar down 8.1%
    Apr down 9.4%
    May down 11%
    Jun down 14.5%
    Jul down 14.9%
    Aug down 16.3%
    Sept down 16.2%
    Oct down 17.8%
    Nov down 20.6%
    Dec down 21.7%
    Jan down 24.6%

Started 345 lb and finished 260lb. Net down 85lb with fasting. I wasn't hardcore about it, sometimes 8:16, sometimes ZFG, most times OMAD.

Goal 2020 to drop additional 20lb and introduce more activity. I used to hike quite a bit and have a goal to hit all our state parks with the kiddos so that's a good focus.

Group Builder