The Going on Vacation/Holiday Thread

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by Hanzo, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo

I see a lot of beer post where people post from their vacation/holiday spots, so lets delve a bit deeper into travel. What do you like to do/where do you like to go? What was the favorite vacation you've had? Least favorite?

I just booked a 5 day Bahamian cruise myself....June 2017, seems so damn for away. People knock cruising because they think it's for old people...I have not found that to be the case with Carnival.

mborden, drinkypoo, jdd419 and 5 others like this.
  2. quirk6

quirk6

The place I keep going back to is the Riviera Maya in Mexico. I've been up and down the coast and inland to Chichen Itza. I've done all-inclusive vacations where I barely leave the resort, but my favorite vacations there are the ones where I go out and explore. I've drunk tamarind margaritas on the beach and chocolate horchata out of reused water bottles sold to me by a random guy who walked up to me in a mercado. I've taken tours but I prefer just going out in a bus or collectivo. I seriously love it down there.

mborden, BigFrank, hamburger and 7 others like this.
  3. jmgrub

jmgrub

Great idea for a thread, and some very difficult questions to answer. I like traveling generally and rarely have what I would call a "bad vacation" or go anywhere that I can't enjoy myself for at least a few days. I feel like I've been extremely lucky travel-wise in my life.

I've done lots of different types of trips over the years. I guess I'm not really a "sit on the beach for a week and do nothing" kind of person, but a mix of beach, golf and exploring makes for a great trip. I don't like "uncomfortable" vacations, and tend to have trouble enjoying myself in places where poverty is pronounced and the local people don't have it good.

Growing up, my family went to the Big Island of Hawaii and to Sun Valley, Idaho pretty regularly (ski in the winter and golf, tennis etc. in the summer). I've also been on lots of sports trips over the years with my Dad (NCAA tournament and Final Four, World Series, Summer and Winter Olympics - these trips may be my favorite).

Over the past few years, I've done a variety of awesome vacations: Panama with my fiancee (including Panama City, the beach in Bocas del Toro and the mountains in Boquete - you can do Panama pretty well on a budget), an 8,000 mile road trip across the U.S. (visiting a bunch of TBers along the way), a golf trip to Scotland with my parents, and a recent trip to Sweden with my fiancee. I also backpacked Europe with high school friends and then again with college friends.

Looking back, it's impossible to pick a favorite. Any vacation is a good vacation.

4. Lutter

Lutter

5. Hanzo

Hanzo

An all inclusive in Mexico is on my list, and exploring sounds great, but isn't it risky exploring away from the resort areas?

quirk6 and gregkoko like this.
  6. boogercrack

boogercrack

7. steimie

steimie

Went twice. Liked it much more than I thought I would. You just need to know what you're getting into.

8. housepants

housepants

i fucking knew it!

isaac11, hamburger, harrymel and 8 others like this.
  9. yamar68

yamar68

My wife and I want to see every American National Park before we die. It's been sorta fun to go off of a concrete list, and obviously the scenery has been pretty incredible.

So far I think we've been to 20 different parks. Last year we hit Isle Royale and Mt. Rainier. Gonna do some winter camping and snowshoeing in Glacier over Christmas and then heading to the Channel Islands in February. Can't wait!

mborden, rrrjjj, drinkypoo and 17 others like this.
  10. reverseapachemaster

reverseapachemaster

They're not all rapists and criminals.

Most of the resorts are only sending out buses to touristy areas. If you go out on your own just don't be an idiot. If you don't speak the language well and look like a clueless tourist waiting to be robbed then stay in tourist zones or places with large numbers of American ex-pats.

11. TommyShitt

TommyShitt

Man you sound like the most stereotypical middle American. Bahamas cruise, all inclusive Mexico, but don't get the near the locals, they're dangerous!

12. Hanzo

Hanzo

Seriously, is it really that uncommon for tourists to be robbed while visiting economically distraught areas? I wasn't even limiting that to Mexico, if you came to visit me in Virginia there are places you just don't go unless you want trouble.

beerindex and quirk6 like this.
  13. steimie

steimie

Take this over to toxic topics, fellas. Let's keep this thread friendly.

14. boogercrack

boogercrack

I mean, how big is your fanny pack

there's a correlation

15. gregkoko

gregkoko

My wife and I tend to stray off the beaten path a bit when we go on vacation. We don't like doing super touristy things or wait in line or anything like that. Our vacations are some mix of relaxing and eating/drinking or way through wherever we are. We stayed in Playa del Carmen, but instead of doing an all-inclusive we got an AirBNB and just ate out every night in town and drank at beach clubs. Food and drinks were WAY better that way. Some days on the beach, some days heading out to an eco park or to Tulum. quirk6 hooked it up on the recs big time.

I tend to prefer warmer climates when we go on vacation. We go to California once a year. We're heading to Singapore and Thailand for our honeymoon in February. Half the trip is going to be beach resort stuff and the other half will be cities. There will be a lot of food and drink consumed. Recommendations welcome. We'll also do temples and massages and cooking classes and all that good stuff too.

Also right there with Lutter. I used to go to WDW every 3 or 4 years as a kid. I hadn't gone from the age of 16 to 31. We went last fall and now I'm as obsessed as I've ever been. I know that goes completely against everything I said at the top of my post, but holy shit I fucking love Disney World. Sort of killing me that we won't be going back for a LONG time. Starting a family next year so not until the kids are old enough to enjoy themselves.

16. Hanzo

Hanzo

Disney World was great, at the time my 4 year old didn't say much about the trip when asked how she was doing. Now months later she won't shut up about the place and wanting to go back. I forgot at the time how much of a stimulus overload a trip like that must be for a kid.

17. jmgrub

jmgrub

I've just started thinking about my honeymoon as well. My fiancee likes lounging on the beach and doing nothing, while I prefer exploring cities. I am thinking maybe a week on a beach in Italy, Greece, Croatia or something like that, and another week hitting some of my favorite European cities (some combo of Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Stockholm, Prague, Budapest). I guess it also depends on the time of year. If it's winter in the northern hemisphere, maybe we will do Australia/New Zealand or something like that.

18. BobZ

BobZ

I can think of one major park right off the bat that you've missed to date......:)

Can't go wrong with the Parks.. I need to get to the Grand Canyon, Bryce, and Zion to tick the last of the major ones.

Next year will definitely be Italy, we will be putting the details together this winter, my major goals are Rome & a lot of time to explore the Amalfi coast. I can't wait, I've been wanting to put this trip together for over a decade.

19. BadJustin

BadJustin Moderator Staff Member

We won't be vacationing until both kids are in school so the wife can rejoin the workforce. In the meantime, I just get so drunk I forget where I am. That's kind of the same, right?

20. Hanzo

Hanzo

This immediately made me think of the Al Bundy couch vacation episode for some reason.

[​IMG]