The Going on Vacation/Holiday Thread

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by Hanzo, Dec 4, 2016.

1. BobCobb

BobCobb

Grand Residences Riviera Cancun. Had good reviews, toddler-friendly. Prices were pretty good in early December, though I am now wondering if should have done all inclusive instead of room only.

Let me know if you recall any places/restaurants worth visiting in PM or otherwise. We would like to get away from there for at least 1 day.

2. quirk6

quirk6

I didn't spend that much time in the actual town of Puerto Morelos, it's cute but small. If you're looking to do excursions or visit Cancun or Playa Del Carmen I have lots of recommendations. I've been up and down the coast and and into Valladolid and Chichen Itza.

3. gregkoko

gregkoko

Loved Berlin so fucking much. Can't speak much to London. I'd like to go at some point. I can't imagine spending more than a day or two though. Maybe hop a plane somewhere else in between? Ireland? Scotland? Brussels? Netherlands?

Japan is #1 on my list. My wife and I are both salivating at the chance to go and odds are it won't be for another 15-20 years.

Can confirm quirk6 was a HUGE help when my wife and I went to Playa a few years back. Bring the kiddo to Xel Ha. Eco water park, they drive you to and from, AND its all you can eat/drink

4. quirk6

quirk6

Japan is high on our list as well. I've seen some fantastic deals to Asia come up. Now I just need that when I don't have other plans and can actually book it.

My brother in law is in the Navy. He's in Alabama right now waiting for his new LCS ship to finish construction. Eventually they're going to sail it from Columbia SC to San Diego. We're going to fly out to SD to be there when they get in, and then we're going to go down to Costa Rica with my mother in law. I can't plan for it since we don't know when it's going to be and I can't plan for anything else, either. It's bothersome. First world problems.

jmgrub and gregkoko like this.
  5. zieglemt

zieglemt

Yeah, Brussels is my soft plan.

gregkoko likes this.
  6. BobCobb

BobCobb

Thanks. A family member also recommended Xel Ha. Looks like maybe a perfect day getaway. I think we might just try to rent a car for 2 days so we can get around easily. Since we are not staying in Cancun or PdC, it seems to make a little tougher to get around or hook up with transportation, at least from what I've read.

gregkoko likes this.
  7. FoudreGuy

FoudreGuy

Why not? If it's #1 make it a priority. I know the airfare is pricey but you can do Japan really cheap once you're there. It is way cheaper than most of Europe.

gregkoko likes this.
  8. gregkoko

gregkoko

We just had our first kid. Hopefully a second on the way in another year or two. My wife and I just hadn't been planning on taking two super young kids on that long of a flight, plus yes very pricey flights. We're thinking more when they're pre-teens/teens we'll be able to make the trip.

FoudreGuy likes this.
  9. air

air

Yep, current exchange rate is super favorable for USD and finding a good flight deal there makes it even sweeter. I loathe US legacy airlines when going abroad and I usually will fly through LAX to take JAL or ANA. Just took my 5th trip over there earlier this year and very likely going again next year.

In general, I just keep an eye on cheap fares and if I happen to like the timing, I pull the trigger. Hoping to catch a good deal for somewhere in Central Europe next summer.

jmgrub and gregkoko like this.
  10. FoudreGuy

FoudreGuy

My daughter is almost 7 and she's coming with us, but then again we only have one kid and aren't going to have any more and everything just gets exponentially more expensive with extra kids. I started traveling internationally when I was three and it was important for my wife and I to do the same with our kiddo. She's already been to Spain, Morocco, Belgium and The Netherlands. Doesn't hurt to start 'em traveling young!

Yeah, food and lodging and even attractions are so much cheaper than people think they're going to be. Just don't take taxis, eat at Michelin star French restaurants (although Michelin ramen places are still sub-$10 a meal) and stay at the Park Hyatt Shinjuku. This will be our fourth time in Japan. We went there on our honeymoon in 2006, back in 2010 and then in 2014 (my parents watched kiddo that time), I'm so excited for ramen, tonkatsu sandwiches and conbini karaage.