The Great Music of Talkbeer - 1970

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by mattafett, May 16, 2018.

1. mattafett

mattafett

Each Wednesday (typically) we'll introduce a new year from 1958 through 2017. Each member selects an album released in that year with a few lines (or more) on why you picked it/enjoy it. Your selection does not have to be the most important release or the most admired release of that year (though it certainly can be), simply an album that grabs you and that you really love.

However, once an album is selected by a member, you must choose a different album.

Together we will compile quite the canon of "Great Music" and, who knows, maybe inspire each other to check out some new artists (or to revisit old forgotten classics).

This week - the albums of 1970

Honorable mentions begin on Monday

No placeholders. You must post the artist and title followed by the album cover. You may edit your post to include a write-up or videos.

Here is a list of the top albums per Rate Your Music, which is the source I will use to determine an albums release date.

https://rateyourmusic.com/customcha...=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=

jbeezification, libbey, Dcv and 9 others like this.
  2. mattafett

mattafett

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Déjà vu
    [​IMG]

My absolute favorite album of all-time. The songs are endearing and ever-lasting. The harmonies are perfect. The music, phenomenal.
    I grew up listening to this, as it is a favorite of my parents. It stuck with me, and as I got more and more into music, it continued to stay with me.

3. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini

[​IMG]

Grateful Dead - Workingman's Dead

While American Beauty is probably the more well remembered album from the Grateful Dead in 1970, Workingman's Dead always spoke to me more. A giant change from the psychedelic jam sound they had cultivated in the 1960's with much more emphasis on lyrics and a country / folk vibe.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  4. FTowne

FTowne

I could've picked 10+ albums from the first 4 pages on that list. I'm gonna skip this round because I can't choose just one. It's impossible.

ant880, Padraig, landrewg and 19 others like this.
  5. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

Neil Young - After the Gold Rush

[​IMG]

Neil Young's follow up to the more psychedelic rocker Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere is his classic folk-inspired masterpiece. The amount of great music Neil put out in various bands over a ~5 year stretch is insane. CSNY, Buffalo Springfield, and his own solo stuff from this period is all phenomenal.

ant880, gregkoko, kevanb and 31 others like this.
  6. mattafett

mattafett

INCORRECT CHOICE!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

flexabull, landrewg, ripps1 and 15 others like this.
  7. Der Fuchs

Der Fuchs

(Link to media)

Miles. Bitches Brew.

Ive officially gone through 2 box sets of this album due to playing it so much. An all time favorite.

ant880, Padraig, gregkoko and 37 others like this.
  8. coach

coach

Well, this year is fucking impossible. So...

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
    [​IMG]

I shouldn't have to explain this pick.

ant880, Padraig, gregkoko and 23 others like this.
  9. coach

coach

Mother fucker. I blame Google for fucking with their image link copying system.

ant880, Padraig, gregkoko and 20 others like this.
  10. Der Fuchs

Der Fuchs

go for the youtube vids. easier to insert, and you can get the album cover and music all in one go.

kevanb, ripps1, BrandoSF and 7 others like this.
  11. coach

coach

Ok, fine.

Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsies

[​IMG]

My 1a. It's a shame Jimi never got to collaborate with Miles.

ant880, Padraig, gregkoko and 32 others like this.
  12. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

Look at it this way: you really can't go wrong.

ant880, kevanb, landrewg and 15 others like this.
  13. tosh

tosh

Got to go with The Kinks this round -
    Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Part One

[​IMG]

Tunes like this are hard to argue with

ant880, Padraig, gregkoko and 27 others like this.
  14. My favorite Bob Dylan album, New Morning. So much positivity and good tunes in this period for him. New Morning, One More Weekend, If Not For You, The Man In Me, Went to see the Gypsy, Day of the Locusts, all just phenomenal songs. . .

[​IMG]

15. flexabull

flexabull

Easy one for me. (even though this year is loaded with classics)

Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water

[​IMG]

Incredible timeless album. And unfortunately their last...

16. tikk

tikk

One of my favorite albums of all time

Layla and other assorted love songs. I listen to this album at least once a week if not more.

17. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

Going back through the RYM list, I'm finding albums that I'd feel good about picking in the 200s.

ripps1, BrandoSF, Dcv and 8 others like this.
  18. lazerviking

lazerviking

SO. MANY. GOOD. ALBUMS!!
    One of my all-time favorites right here. The Velvet Underground - Loaded. Most of the selections that have already been made could have easily worked for me too. What a year.

19. Phin

Phin

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

This was the sophomore album from this hard rock band and includes massive hits like Paranoid and Iron Man, but also less acclaimed but fantastic songs like Fairies Wear Boots. Black Sabbath along with fellow Englishmen, Deep Purple, among others, were creating groundbreaking music that paved the way for bands like Metallica.
    I was not even born until more than a decade after this album was released, but was still jamming out to it a lot in my early teenage years. And when I got to watch Ozzy live in 1998, perform both songs from his solo albums and Black Sabbath albums, that was something special. As someone who listened to a lot of Metallica, Pantera, Sepultura and other similar artists in high school, I have a strong appreciation for this album.

Padraig, gregkoko, kevanb and 32 others like this.
  20. steimie

steimie

[​IMG]
    The Who--Live at Leeds

As good a live record as there is.

"Powerful" is the word I always think of when I think of this band, especially around this time. There's just so much power in what they do. But that melody is still there. And fucking Keith Moon, I mean...really?