The Great Music of Talkbeer - 1970

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by mattafett, May 16, 2018.

1. Stubs

Stubs

One of my favorite jazz albums of all time. This really taught me how lyric and melody work in jazz music.

When I first started working at the record store, I hated the jazz picks. Worked with that Jazz Guy who was obsessed with CTI records. He gave me a copy of this and talked about the groove and soul of the hip hop and soul music I listened to but how it alsohad the complicated stuff of the metal and hardcore that I liked. I don't know why, but this is the album that made jazz click for me and now I'm constantly spinning different jazz records of all eras. Love me some Freddie though.

And yes lazerviking did beat me to one of my top 5 records ever.

2. capnmike

capnmike

Talk about uplifting music...

[​IMG]

The title track is great, of course, but there are at least 3 others I would take over it. Such a great one to blast on a sunny day and pretend you can sing like Stevie (hah). He played keys of course, and I think drums on many tracks (if not all).

I dragged ass on a hot, humid, crowded day to see Stevie Wonder at Taste of Chicago once - and found it was SO worth it, and more. Incredible. I wish I could find the blog post that Dean Ween wrote about seeing Stevie Wonder at Radio City once (but his blog has jumped around to many different sites and it's lost in the ether somewhere). I do remember the phrase "he's a musical prophet who walks the earth only once every 2,000 years," and I have to say I agree.

3. capnmike

capnmike

How do you feel about Phish covering Loaded in one of their Halloween costume sets? I give it the slight edge for my favorite cover set, over Remain in Light. You should check it out :):):D

4. Stubs

Stubs

I won't be doing that.

5. thebandit1

thebandit1

You can come to my house this weekend, drink lambic, and listen to it on CD, if interested.

6. MrVonzipper

MrVonzipper

mattafett Tricked me by taking my advices so I’m late to the party. Amazing year. My top few already picked. So I’m going with a back up filled with some incredible songs that remind me of my youth and my dad.

Yusef Islam; aka Cat Stevens: Tea for the Tillerman

(Link to media)

(Link to media)

souredstouts, kevanb, LSUPT and 21 others like this.
  7. lazerviking

lazerviking

I like you, man. A lot. I want to keep it that way. ;)

BrandoSF, Dcv, mattafett and 8 others like this.
  8. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Fuck you for not doing that album justice. "A great listen"?? Come on, man. You're better than that.

Still tear up every time I hear Let It Be or The Long and Winding Road. My mom used to sing those songs all the time as a kid.

9. coldstorage

coldstorage

Cosigned
    Cosigned:oops:

10. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Badge of honor, my friend. Nothing moves me like music

11. PHBoiler

PHBoiler

[​IMG]
    Tons of singles on this CCR album. Up Around the Bend and Lookin out my back door are the two I probably heard the most growing up from the 8 track player in the LTD. Travelin Band, Run through the Jungle, Who'll stop the rain, and heard it through the grapevine are all on there too.

12. thebandit1

thebandit1

Love that album cover. Remember looking at it as a kid and being like “why is this fucking guy riding a bike inside?”

matedog, kevanb, BrandoSF and 15 others like this.
  13. elkhunter36

elkhunter36

I will post some videos for you since you picked my album you dick! :p

Some really cool OLD live stuff

(Link to media)

For years I couldn't figure out why they would sing about "dead marines and elephants" :oops:

(Link to media)

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  14. elkhunter36

elkhunter36

Here we go - a very acceptable runner up for me:

The Allman Bros and Dicky Betts were magic together.

Idlewild South

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Link to media)

(Link to media)

15. kbuzz

kbuzz

Well my picks are already taken, so I'll go with Slade - Play it Loud.

Two of my all-time favorite Slade songs came from this album...Shape of Things to Come and Sweet Box.

Love Slade. Even skinhead wannabes Slade. Noddy has such a great all-time rock voice.

[​IMG]

(Link to media)

(Link to media)

16. Thanks for turning me/us on to this, its cool stuff. Thanks to some of the Trojan records pressings of a lot of what used to be vinyl only(sorry), I've got exposed to subgenre reggae/ska stuff like Calypso, Carnival and Mento, this shit fits right in with that.

I would guess The Rolling Stones circa Beggars Banquet -Exile on Main St. were listening to some Exuma.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

There are a couple ways I could go with this and I decided to do an off the wall pick. Lots of great stuff already nabbed (that’s what I get for taking a long walk for chocolate at lunch), lots of great albums left where I like and respect the artist but really only know one or two songs. Today something weird happened. I hopped into the middle of the RMY list since I got a late start, and started working my way forward, and I stopped on an artist I am familiar with by reputation first, I know his most popular single (the lead track on his debut album) first through a breathtaking cover, done by the person who would eventually play the song at his memorial less than a year after I was introduced to it live and in person. Some months later another artist I love mentioned recording one of his biggest singles in this artist’s studio while on the road. I stopped. I listened to the album. I liked it. A lot. Without further ado,

Leon Russell - Leon Russell
    [​IMG]

18. thebandit1

thebandit1

So close to picking this. We’ve been on the same wavelength these last few weeks.

19. coldstorage

coldstorage

Im beginning to sound like a "broken record" (har har) but I was luckily able to rule this out because im trying to stick to the one per artist self imposted guideline and my heart is promised to another. This is top 3 Bowie for me though, and the first Bowie album I fell in love with which I bought directly after purchasing "Nirvana Unplugged" and realizing "TMWSTW" was a cover. (Backwards... but I got there and thats what counts.)

"She shook me cold" heavily influenced my tastes in music. Used to shake my parents house with that one and could not understand how the cod-piece guy from Labyrinth had made such earth shattering heaviness....

In an alternate universe I could have easily just picked a Bowie record in every year where he had a release for this exercise and been fine with it. Favorite artist, hands down. I still haven't emotionally accepted his death and some (most) of his recordings are kind of "off limits". Still haven't listened to black star yet and im really really scared too....

but I can save all that for if im lucky enough to get to pick my Bowie pick...

I love those Trojan boxes man. The Skinhead and Rocksteady ones were both total colonies...

Thanks for listening. I bet if you listen three times you will be hooked for life. Its unbelievably contagious stuff. The Exuma s/t LP is a really foundational classic for me and deeply inspirational. I took a lot of creative cues from him, directly and indirectly. I love the soulful vocal performance, especially on that first track.

"Exuma was my name when i lived in the stars. Exuma was a planet that once lit mars. I've got the voices of many in my throat. The teeth of a frog, and the tail of a goat. Im Exuma. Im the Obbbbbbbeeeeeaaaaahhhhh man"

When I was in my 20s, hopelessly paranoid and very confrontational I used to be really protective of Exuma. I thought it was a key and needed to be hidden to retain some power. I still think it's a key, but much more willing to share now. Its the Indian, not the arrow. ;)

landrewg, ripps1, capnmike and 8 others like this.
  20. [​IMG]
    That is some funny shit.

The best song I've ever heard about cod pieces is from Diesel Queens "Cod Piece Nation"

"The joys of a cod piece are a many splendid thing,
    To have your nuts nestled in a sweaty leather sling. . ."

(Link to media)