The Great Music of Talkbeer - 1976

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by mattafett, Oct 25, 2018.

1. mattafett

mattafett

Each Wednesday (typically) we'll introduce a new year from 1958 through 2017. Each member selects an album released in that year with a few lines (or more) on why you picked it/enjoy it. Your selection does not have to be the most important release or the most admired release of that year (though it certainly can be), simply an album that grabs you and that you really love.

However, once an album is selected by a member, you must choose a different album.

Together we will compile quite the canon of "Great Music" and, who knows, maybe inspire each other to check out some new artists (or to revisit old forgotten classics).

This week - the albums of 1976

Honorable mentions begin on Monday

No placeholders. You must post the artist and title followed by the album cover. You may edit your post to include a write-up or videos.

Here is a list of the top albums per Rate Your Music, which is the source I will use to determine an albums release date.
    https://rateyourmusic.com/customcha...=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=

capnmike, landrewg, coach and 2 others like this.
  2. mattafett

mattafett

Another stacked year!
    Rush - 2112
    [​IMG]

With FTowne mia :( I have no choice but to latch on to my favorite Rush album. It is a storytelling work of art set to a perfect soundtrack.

3. elkhunter36

elkhunter36

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  4. Dcv

Dcv

Tom Waits
    Small Change

[​IMG]

Beautiful, depressing, and funny
    I think this is my favorite Waits album, defintly top 3 depending on my mood.

5. mattafett

mattafett

Very close to the top for me. Just a great record.

Padraig, Stubs, ripps1 and 3 others like this.
  6. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

Bob Dylan - Desire

[​IMG]

This is my personal favorite Dylan album. Bob was still firmly in his storytelling prime as evidenced on One More Cup of Coffee, Isis, and Black Diamond Bay. And even though he was thought to be beyond his protest song heyday, Hurricane stands with the best of them. The mid-70’s were a strange time for Dylan. He had separated and then reunited with his first wife, who has a song named after her here.. He did the terrific Rolling Thunder Revue tour and the terrible Renaldo and Clara movie surrounding said tour. Constantly needing to reinvent himself and on what I can only assume was a heavy regimen of narcotics, a brand new ‘gypsy’ Dylan sound and style was introduced to the saga on RTR that needed to be captured in the studio. Influences of Middle-Eastern, eastern European, and Central American origin can be heard at various times, with the constant being Scarlet Rivera’s violin throughout. The Desire recording sessions were disorderly; a young Emmylou Harris, who is featured prominently on the album, would later claim she didn’t think any of the takes were usable. It’s that aesthetic that I love. Dylan never made an album like this, before or after.

Probably my favorite song of all time, a shame I can’t find anything other than a spotify link:

(Link to media)

(Link to media)

A cool live version of Romance in Durango:

(Link to media)

Edit: I'm SHOCKED this is so high on RYM's list. I don't know anyone who 'loves' this album or is even very aware of it as a whole beyond a couple songs.

7. steimie

steimie

Ramones--Ramones

[​IMG]

I mean, it's maybe the first "punk" record in the way we think about punk. I dunno. Don't matter.

There's no other record like this one. Ever. The melodies are so fucking catchy. That buzzy, three chords and a cloud of dust guitar. Basic bitch drums and bass, which makes them perfect.

Not many records influenced more bands (especially the ones I grew up caring about), more than this one. 14 songs, 29 minutes. One of the most important records ever made.

All the kids wanna sniff some glue
    All the kids want something to do

8. Pierre Pressure

Pierre Pressure

So I know some of you will probably shit on me for this almost as much as if I posted a soundtrack.

Death - Politicians In My Eyes / Keep On Knocking
    [​IMG]
    Death were a proto-punk band formed by three brothers out of Detroit. They recorded a handful of songs in 1975 but refused to change their name at the request of a record label, so no album was released. In 1976 they self-released a run of 500 or so of a couple songs from that session and broke up shortly after. They eventually reformed as a gospel group, The 4th Movement and released a couple of albums.

Death was largely unknown, as the story goes, until one of the member's sons heard one of the songs from this single and recognized his dad's voice. He ended up forming a band, Rough Francis, with his brothers originally covering their dad's old songs but they have since put out some original work of their own. This newfound attention/interest lead to the recordings from 1975 being released and a documentary about the band.

This was the first song I heard from them and I was sold. The bass line has become one of my favorites...not overly complicated by any means, but it sucks you right in. The song is just as topical today as it was when they wrote it. Its an absolute classic in every way.

Also a good song, but it isn't near the standout that the a-side was on this one.

9. PHBoiler

PHBoiler

[​IMG]
    First non live AC/DC album I owned. Front to back cock rock. Live Wire. She's Got Balls. The Jack. TNT.

First song. Best Song. RIP Bon Scott.

10. MrVonzipper

MrVonzipper

11. litheum94

litheum94

So I'm not sure if this technically counts, but people have posted soundtracks before, so fuck it.

Creedence Clearwater Revival Chronical Vol. 1

This one isn't even really about the music for me, though there are obviously some great songs on this. This is the first band/album that I really connected on with my dad, so it has a lot of sentimental meaning to me.

12. tosh

tosh

I blame on my Dad for getting me into Ivor Cutler. He really should not have been playing me these records when I was that young. It might explain a lot.

Ivor Cutler - Jammy Smears
    [​IMG]

Hard to describe Ivor, yes it is more poetry and spoken word, but there are enough ‘songs’ to qualify this.

13. leftoverburrito

leftoverburrito

14. MrVonzipper

MrVonzipper

Dude! Love it! Never heard them but I’m definitely going to dive in further.

15. MrVonzipper

MrVonzipper

(Link to media)

16. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

17. thebandit1

thebandit1

[​IMG]

I love the Stones and this my favorite of their albums.

Flame on.

18. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

Cool 1976 story. Well cool to me.

A couple days after Christmas 1976 I took some Christmas money and bought my very first 45 of my very own

[​IMG]

I still have it somewhere. I don’t REMEMBER it really but it’s a story my dad tells me from time to time as I guess I was a determined little dude and HAD TO HAVE IT so we drove a bit (like 45 minutes each way) to the closest place to get it. As my father is battling cancer right now it give me warm feels to remember it.

(Link to media)

Someone can have the album I don’t care for it as much and I know it’s against the rules but fuck the rules.

19. ripps1

ripps1

I love Patti Smith. Not my favorite from her but solid nonetheless.

20. landrewg

landrewg

So...many...choices......

Der Fuchs, sliverx, capnmike and 3 others like this.