The Great Music of Talkbeer - 1983

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by mattafett, Nov 7, 2018.

1. atomicpunk5151

atomicpunk5151

Great debut record. Raw. LIVE videos from this era are so great with them playing all the small clubs.

Obviously still a lot of Dave Mustaine influence (and songwriting...lol) on several songs. The Mechanix becomes The Four Horsemen after a little rewrite. Most songs are pretty close to the NLTL demos. James still rarely plays Jump in the Fire.

Every song is a classic the in catalog at this point. You can't talk KEA without bringing up SEEK AND DESTROY. The anthem... the Closer... From the opening riff, the groove, to the chorus, to the solo....to James and his HA.HA.HA at 5:47.

Hell, my favorite tracks might even be the deeper ones. No Remorse SMOKES! Phantom Lord is a burner as well.

Last but not least....... a fucking Bass solo.....What?!?!??? ...... "BASS SOLO...TAKE 1"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  2. coach

coach

I've always fancied myself a pretty big music nerd, but these threads, especially the late 70s & most of the 80s threads, never fail to take me down a peg. If anything, I've realized I've done a terrible job of going back and familiarizing myself with almost all of the "cool" music from about '75-'90. I need to rectify that.

Brez07, DerGundhof, Padraig and 13 others like this.
  3. thebandit1

thebandit1

I’ve been listening to his stuff all day.

I’ve never been so optimistic yet depressed as fuck in my life.

4. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

When I get drunk and rowdy I still play Bark at the Moon on my strat and Marshall stack. It’s so fucking fun and very much underrated. My neighbors HATE those nights.

5. thebandit1

thebandit1

Better than that night where you exposed yourself.

DerGundhof, coach, sliverx and 3 others like this.
  6. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

Word.

DerGundhof likes this.
  7. quirk6

quirk6

[​IMG]
    Early Social Distortion. This isn't the sound they would become known for, mawkish country and rockabilly influenced punk, this is more raw. It's not their best album and the sound quality isn't great, but there are some excellent tracks on here and I love Social Distortion and Mike Ness.

8. quentincall

quentincall

Screenshot_20181108-205131~2.png

Pogorelich's Gaspard is really exciting.

coach, Padraig, MooseLang and 6 others like this.
  9. MooseLang

MooseLang

Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers - Jonathan Sings!

[​IMG]

I only got into Jonathan Richman a couple years ago, but I’m so glad I did. Went the reverse route of most fans and started with his solo stuff before going into the Modern Lovers. If it weren’t for LCD Soundsystem’s “Losing My Edge” I may not have ever been curious enough to know who the Modern Lovers were.

Love J Richman. And many of you will recognize him from Kingpin and Something About Mary....

(Link to media)

(Link to media)

Espeer, Stubs, DerGundhof and 7 others like this.
  10. SAISON FUCK

SAISON FUCK

I enjoy a number of songs on this one.

[​IMG]

I can't say that I heard most of these songs until relatively recently. Had no idea for a majority of my life that "Eyes Without a Face" was a Billy Idol song.

(Link to media)

(Link to media)

11. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

I love that album but omg does the recording quality SUCK. I’ve thought about trying to find a better source but goddamn it’s painful on vinyl.

I’ve thought about trying to track down the triple X issue as I have the original 13th floor but man it’s bad.

12. capnmike

capnmike

Absolutely insane year, looking back, a mix of legendary albums by bands that grew into giants, a nonstop stream of stuff you’d catch on 80s radio now, great new wave and memorable metal.

Of course, I didn’t give a crap about any of that then, I was all about CA hardcore...almost went with Suicidal Tendencies debut, but I was always more of a CJs (the band, pervs) guy myself.

[​IMG]

Was so psyched that 2 tracks were on the Repo Man soundtrack too.

13. MrVonzipper

MrVonzipper

Are you from here in CA? Your profile is broke and doesn’t say. o_O

Stubs and capnmike like this.
  14. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

Fuck it, Metallica's gone and I'm pot committed on Dylan at this point.

Bob Dylan - Infidels

[​IMG]

The Mark Knopfler produced Infidels is the first album after Dylan's born again phase. The three years of unlistenable gospel tunes proved not to be a waste, as the exposure to Christianity seems to have added further depth to his songwriting. It's a damn shame Blind Willie McTell wasn't included on the album despite being recorded in these sessions, along with a plethora of other outtakes. I blame Knopfler.

I And I is one of the unheralded Dylan classics. Its scope changing from the point of view of a deity, to simply the woman sleeping in his bed, to a meta critique on his own celebrity. It feels very Old Testament at times with enough Dylan bitterness to drive it all home.

Plus the chorus is just some cold blooded shit:
    I and I
    In creation where one's nature neither honors nor forgives
    I and I
    One say to the other, no man sees my face and lives

(no other videos of the studio version)

Protest songs? Protest songs:

The big single:

The two down & out love songs:

15. Der Fuchs

Der Fuchs

Yep. It's often like a child dealing with adult issues. The use of the child's piano for years. He wants the ideal beauty in life, and seems crushed and confused by the notion it doesn't exist. The pain as knowledge of experience theme. Growing up is hard to do.

Love that dude.

libbey, thebandit1 and capnmike like this.
  16. quirk6

quirk6

Hell yeah, capnmike, Circle Jerks and Suicidal Tendencies were two top contenders for me.

DerGundhof, ripps1 and capnmike like this.
  17. capnmike

capnmike

Nope! Chicago...but I geeked out when I was in LA for work last year and my friend suggested Hermosa Beach for a dinner spot and I saw this...

[​IMG]

Hope I didn’t ruin ST for you just with the mention - write it up! Compare and contrast! Show your work... :)

18. quirk6

quirk6

Nope. I already made my selection. Maybe Monday.

DerGundhof and capnmike like this.
  19. capnmike

capnmike

Ah yes...on this same page even....which I read and enjoyed...I’m an idiot.

DerGundhof and quirk6 like this.
  20. landrewg

landrewg

ZZ Top---Eliminator

Saw them a few times live, always a great show.