The Great Music of Talkbeer - 1990

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by mattafett, Apr 8, 2019.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. Der Fuchs

Der Fuchs

2. Der Fuchs

Der Fuchs

flexabull, rmalinowski4 and Padraig like this.
  3. atomicpunk5151

atomicpunk5151

some HMs

Judas Priest - Painkiller
    [​IMG]

JP completes the transition to a more 90s "METAL" sound. New drummer Scott Travis brings the Double Bass. Glenn Tipton still shreds..... Rob takes is vocals up to some crazy soaring levels as well.

Title track is the most known song

Glenn just says fuck it..... starts the song Metal Meltdown with a guitar solo....

All Guns Blazing is also a Glenn shredfest...

4. Der Fuchs

Der Fuchs

nodamagedone and quirk6 like this.
  5. Der Fuchs

Der Fuchs

The other 'naked city'
    john zorn

(Link to media)

craziness reflecting the chinatown soundtrack and ornette coleman all in one go

nodamagedone and coach like this.
  6. Der Fuchs

Der Fuchs

cant forget some great african guitar from an artist ive posted a few times previously.

(Link to media)

7. Der Fuchs

Der Fuchs

8. matedog

matedog

I have an unironic appreciation for the first three Warrant albums.

FTowne and steimie like this.
  9. Padraig

Padraig Premium Supporter Contributor

Electribe 101 - Electribal Memories

Under-rated house album you can pick up in dollar/euro bins all over the place. Includes one of Frankie Knuckles' best remixes.

[​IMG]

nodamagedone, Der Fuchs and tosh like this.
  10. atomicpunk5151

atomicpunk5151

That is interesting.... Most don't include "Dog Eat Dog" in the Warrant Holy trinity..... ;)

11. atomicpunk5151

atomicpunk5151

Steve Vai - Passion and Warfare

[​IMG]

For the high speed guitar wankers .....

After leaving David Lee Roth's Band, Steve Vai was able to record a solo album in between recording with Whitesnake.

Ranges from Hard rock to Zappa to Hendrix to some alien weird stuff....

The Audience is Listening

This one sounds like it was taken from the DLR "Skyscraper" sessions

(Link to media)

12. matedog

matedog

Sad Theresa, Inside Out, Quicksand. So good.

atomicpunk5151 likes this.
  13. coach

coach

How was this missed?

14. kbuzz

kbuzz

The episode of that Netflix hip hop series with Shock G was really interesting. Had no idea the level of influence he had on the game back then.

coach and Der Fuchs like this.
  15. coach

coach

I might have told this story somewhere on this site at some point, but here it is anyway...

When I was 16, me and a couple buddies went camping at Pymatuning State Park in NE Ohio. Since we were all underage, one of my friends' dad had to rent us our campsite. He got his own, but left the next day. Once we had the site, we were able to renew it without an adult, so we stayed for like a week.

On something like day 3, we moved to a better site by the water. By that time, two of my buddies had starting hanging around with some girls who were camping with their families. So my buddy Jay & I were at the new site hanging out & getting a fire started, when the dude from the next camp site over approaches us. He had to have been mid 40s. He introduces himself, then proceeds to ask us if we want to burn one. Well, does the pope shit in the woods? Whatever he had was good shit. We were fucking high school kids used to smoking brick weed. So he lights up and we proceed to get super ripped.

Anyway, while we're sitting there by the lake toking reefer, his wife is back at their camper blasting Warrant. He starts telling us about how they're huge Warrant fans, then drops this nugget: He claims he was their manager "before they got big." We were like, "uh huh." We were unimpressed and super stoned.

We then spent the rest of the evening listening to Weezer's blue album, eating all the Doritos, and hiding in our tent because we thought the campground security dude was onto us that we didn't have adult supervision.

Brez07, matedog, sliverx and 2 others like this.
  16. matedog

matedog

This song came out in 1990 and the video proves that 1990 was the most 80s year:

(Link to media)

quirk6, kbuzz, McMatt7 and 1 other person like this.
  17. ThatOneChick

ThatOneChick

Im all about the antipop right now. Both the song and the album. But with the exception of the brown album i aint got nuthin bad to say about Primus or any of Mr. Claypools subsequent and ever changing side projects/collaborations. Including his recentish stuff with Sean Lennon. The lennon claypool delirium. Very enjoyable.

18. Jacco Macacco

Jacco Macacco

Damn, I have not once thought about revisiting antipop since it came out, and im not sure why. I'll give it a spin.

And double damn, I love the brown album! Still listen to that on a semi-regular basis.

ThatOneChick likes this.
  19. ThatOneChick

ThatOneChick

Im not saying its complete crap or anything, one cant call something les claypool has done crap but it is not my favorite. Compared to any of his earlier works, frizzle fry, sailing the seas of cheese, pork soda, tails from the punch bowl, it sounds more like they had an obligation to put out a record contractually and so just phoned it in so-to-speak. Shake hands with beef is in my shuffle but i just cant get into the groove of too many other songs from the brown album. There is also a record called miscellaneous debris which is a compilation of songs that were left on the cutting room floor from his other albums that is quite worth the listen. I rate rhinoplasty inline with the brown album both are good enough but not on my top 3 primus albums. The antipop is a miracle of dank lyrics and mind expanding sounds from the best trio in music.

Jacco Macacco likes this.
  20. ThatOneChick

ThatOneChick

Granted rhinoplasty is an album of all covers it ranks just above the brown album. Take a listen to les claypool and the holly mackerel album name is highball with the devil and also his work with the fabulous flying frog brigade.