The Great Music of Talkbeer - 1992

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by mattafett, Dec 5, 2018.

1. mattafett

mattafett

Each Wednesday (typically) we'll introduce a new year from 1958 through 2017. Each member selects an album released in that year with a few lines (or more) on why you picked it/enjoy it. Your selection does not have to be the most important release or the most admired release of that year (though it certainly can be), simply an album that grabs you and that you really love.

However, once an album is selected by a member, you must choose a different album.

Together we will compile quite the canon of "Great Music" and, who knows, maybe inspire each other to check out some new artists (or to revisit old forgotten classics).

This week - the albums of 1992
    Honorable mentions begin on Monday

No placeholders. You must post the artist and title followed by the album cover. You may edit your post to include a write-up or videos.

Here is a list of the top albums per Rate Your Music, which is the source I will use to determine an albums release date.
    https://rateyourmusic.com/customcha...=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=

2. leftoverburrito

leftoverburrito

3. mattafett

mattafett

Stacked year, easy choice.

Sleep - Sleep's Holy Mountain
    [​IMG]

Remember my 2007 pick? They are the direct predecessor to the greatest Stoner band ever, Sleep. Can anyone riff better than the shirtless wonder Matt Pike? I doubt it.

Arbitrator, libbey, capnmike and 14 others like this.
  4. elkhunter36

elkhunter36

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  5. thebandit1

thebandit1

[​IMG]

So many albums this year. Almost went one way, but I’ve already picked two albums from them. Also almost went with the best rap album of all time or one of my favorite “indie” albums.

I assume two of these will be picked before I’m done writing.

Went with Harvest Moon because I think it is the last “great” album by one of my all-time favorites. Just a great collection of intimate ballads at a time when he was just christened the “godfather” of grunge.

Never count out Neil to zig when everyone else zags.

6. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

I have a feeling someone or many someones will want to add to this, but when I hit this album I stopped.

TMBG - Apollo 18.
    [​IMG]
    I like TMBG a lot. They have some albums that are misses for me, but I was talking with some friends earlier about how they are my favorite AV Underground performer and I would really like to see them live one day. I have been listening to them for... 20ish years? Was probably introduced to them by a high school boyfriend, listened to them on and off in college (definitely had at least one college professor that talked about them a lot in classroom examples). They are fun because their topics are so varied and versatile, and holy fuck are they nerdy. At one point, I found a bunch of oddly named files and it turned out that fear025 had shared his collection of rare TMBG tracks with me. If that isn't love, I don't know what is (I am in the slow arduous process of cleaning up the naming on them to make them more identifiable). Fun fact - the only band wiki's I know and regularly visit are Hanson and TMBG.

Now for favorite tracks off the album:

7. Pierre Pressure

Pierre Pressure

Because I know how much everyone loves soundtracks and there are plenty of albums that I like from this year but none that are jumping out, I give you Singles O.S.T.
    [​IMG]

One of, if not the, best Smashing Pumpkins songs.

Not much to say....this is one of those years where I have more words for albums that I don't think are worthy of first choice than I do for those that are that good.

8. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

My dad is a huge Neil Young fan and I am bigly not. (his voice, it grates on me, and while I recognize that he is a talented songwriter and guitar player, him guitar soloing is boring as shit). I write this to say that Old King is my favorite Neil Young song. Yes, more than anything he did with CSNY. Yes even more than that. Old King was the best old doggo.

9. mattafett

mattafett

My first date with my ex-wife was to this movie, on opening weekend. Still love everything about it.

capnmike, Padraig, Der Fuchs and 7 others like this.
  10. thebandit1

thebandit1

My wife HATED Neil Young until three or four years ago. It was his voice. It was too “whiny”.

Took some time but she loves him now.

What I’m saying is there is still time.

Coincidentally, the person that turned me on to Neil Young at the farm I worked at in PA in the early 90s was also a huge Bob Seger fan and got me into him too.

11. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

Did you work with my dad?

capnmike, kbuzz, sliverx and 6 others like this.
  12. thebandit1

thebandit1

Did he used to go by Heidi?

Phischy, capnmike, quirk6 and 8 others like this.
  13. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

He might. My dad is like a slightly older MordorMongo

capnmike, blckout20, coach and 5 others like this.
  14. mborden

mborden

[​IMG]

The Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride II

Damn. There are so many tracks on this album that I still bump today, on the regular.

The beat to this one is just so amazingly energetic. "I love Spanish dishes but no I'm not Menudo" is a line that pops into my head all the time when I'm hiking or running or doing something where I just get lost in my thoughts.

Best rap verse about jerkin' it? Probably.

I tried to copy my favorite "yo mama" line in this one but the whole song is gold and I couldn't choose one.

THIS was the song that resonated the most with me at a time when I was crushing allll the time.

15. mborden

mborden

...and post part 2 because the previous one would only let me put in 5 pieces of media max!

The ying to "Passin' Me By"s yang, this was my rebound song after a good breakup.

Possibly my favorite rap album skit of all time.

So yeah, I just posted like 7 tracks on an album with 16 tracks haha. I love this album.

16. flexabull

flexabull

This is an incredible year, but I’m glad this was the first album posted.

17. Stubs

Stubs

Im sorry.

18. Stubs

Stubs

Yeeeeeeaahhhhh NINE DEUCE!

I lived on a long ass road in the middle.of nowhere so we had a terrible satelite. We got one music tv station called the box. People requested videos on it. These were on 24-7. I'd watch them over and over again. I was 10 and wanted to be gangster so bad.

My mok took the tapes of this and Doggystyle bought at the flea market away from me so I replaced them with other tapes and put the cases back, until she found them and ripped the tape out. So I bought them again at the flea market.

19. steimie

steimie

Let's go with the best thing Bob Mould ever did after the Huskers split.

[​IMG]

Still a trio. But this is all Bob. There's no Grant Hart trying to steal his thunder on him. Just an overdriven strat, thumping bass, pounding drums. Nice melodies all around, some of the best singing he's done and probably the most accessible thing he's ever recorded. There's 3 or 4 seriously excellent songs on this and no real filler.

My wife loves this song, which is one of the reasons I love my wife:

My favorite Bob Mould song. Terrible video:

Dude knows his way around a pop song:

Yeah, the record is really Bob Mould and a couple of hired guys. So what? It's not brilliant, but it's really a good rock record by an absolutely vital artist.

20. thebandit1

thebandit1

There’s one.
    There’s the other one.

capnmike, coach, Fingolfin and 6 others like this.