The Great Music of Talkbeer - 1993

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by mattafett, Oct 10, 2018.

1. mattafett

mattafett

Each Wednesday (typically) we'll introduce a new year from 1958 through 2017. Each member selects an album released in that year with a few lines (or more) on why you picked it/enjoy it. Your selection does not have to be the most important release or the most admired release of that year (though it certainly can be), simply an album that grabs you and that you really love.

However, once an album is selected by a member, you must choose a different album.

Together we will compile quite the canon of "Great Music" and, who knows, maybe inspire each other to check out some new artists (or to revisit old forgotten classics).

This week - the albums of 1993

Honorable mentions begin on Monday

No placeholders. You must post the artist and title followed by the album cover. You may edit your post to include a write-up or videos.

Here is a list of the top albums per Rate Your Music, which is the source I will use to determine an albums release date.
    https://rateyourmusic.com/customcha...=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=

thebandit1, Der Fuchs, coach and 5 others like this.
  2. mattafett

mattafett

Stacked year. Easy choice
    Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
    [​IMG]

I know, everyone hates Billy Corgan. ZFG, He is a great musician and songwriter. Many geniuses are douchebags I hear.
    Darcy :heart:
    I have always loved this album, and listen to it regularly still. I saw the tail end of this tour in 1994 while they were testing songs from Melancholy.

3. leftoverburrito

leftoverburrito

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    litheum94, ant880, garuda and 30 others like this.
  4. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

I leave it for you and you don't even take it...

Love your choice anyways.

tbub18, coach, sostark and 8 others like this.
  5. tosh

tosh

Been a big fan of this since it came out. Wendy James - Now aint the time for your Tears

[​IMG]

Worth noting she wrote to Elvis Costello to see if he would write a song with her, he wrote back with all the songs on this album. This is one of them he wrote with his then wife, Cait O'Riordan.

This was his own work

Der Fuchs, coach, Padraig and 10 others like this.
  6. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

Tool - Undertow

[​IMG]

Some growth from Opiate but still constructing the ground floor for what Tool would later accomplish

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  7. thebandit1

thebandit1

[​IMG]

Easy choice. Never has a follow up album by the biggest band in the world been a bigger “fuck you”. It’s loud. It’s dirty. It’s all feedback. It’s awesome.

8. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

With no shame at all I admit this HAS to be in the top ten studio albums in terms of how often I’ve listened to it. Fuck man it’s goddamn genius. A man in his prime in his element and everything clicked.

[​IMG]

Fucking brilliance -

(Link to media)

And man, just classic af -

(Link to media)

And for good measure -

(Link to media)

Fin

9. leftoverburrito

leftoverburrito

Ha! Figured you were F5ing. And I'd hate to have gotten sniped again. We're both winners this year. I'll have about 10 runners up this year. And mattafett, this STILL isn't one of my four favorite album years. No complaints though.

capnmike, sostark, DerGundhof and 2 others like this.
  10. Pierre Pressure

Pierre Pressure

Ten minutes in and my likely top three are gone. Of course my #1 was gone in seconds, so that was never gonna happen

capnmike, MooseLang, sostark and 3 others like this.
  11. leftoverburrito

leftoverburrito

I wavered between Wu and this. So fucking good.

tbub18, capnmike, ilovestouts and 5 others like this.
  12. mattafett

mattafett

Starting the thread has benefits. :p

sliverx, capnmike, Phin and 4 others like this.
  13. Alt_Mann

Alt_Mann

I don't think I've had such an instant "that's what I'm posting" moment in these threads.

PJ Harvey - Rid of Me
    [​IMG]

This is an astoundingly good album.

Title Track

50 Ft. Queenie:

Me Jane:

Legs:

Ah hell, they're all good. Go buy it.

14. DerGundhof

DerGundhof

Oh man, great year! Lots off the board already, but am going to go with the one remaining that probably got the most play for me in 93/94...I remember listening to this on repeat on my Sony Sports walkman.

[​IMG]

Will come back for the toons...

15. MrVonzipper

MrVonzipper

This was the album that really got me into Punk Rock. My uncle gave it to me for my 14th birthday and that was it. My transition from grunge to Punk was a life changing event that molded me musically for the rest of my life.

Pennywise: Unknown Road

(Link to media)

(Link to media)

(Link to media)

(Link to media)

litheum94, quirk6, sliverx and 15 others like this.
  16. MrVonzipper

MrVonzipper

This year is fucking Packed with a meritage of great albums of so many styles that I’m sure shaped so many of us. Was a great time for music and personal discovery!

17. jimctin

jimctin

It's On (Dr. Dre) 187um Killa

My 14 year old, white, Canadian ass absolutely loved this album. I can still remember watching this video on TheBox on satellite

ant880, exitmusic00, quirk6 and 21 others like this.
  18. SAISON FUCK

SAISON FUCK

James - Laid
    [​IMG]

Sure, the title track is great, but this is really a fantastic album. Eno production. Really underrated album that is killer throughout.

(Link to media)

(Link to media)

ant880, exitmusic00, quirk6 and 17 others like this.
  19. jimctin

jimctin

FTowne some good albums left. I even left you a certain Canadian band that put out a solid album. Come play.

quirk6, sliverx, mattafett and 5 others like this.
  20. kbuzz

kbuzz

Here's one.

Flaming Lips - Transmissions From the Satellite Heart
    [​IMG]

At the time that this came out, I quickly shoehorned it into the alternative genre with everything else that was popping up at the time. Was easy to do with the silly lyrics, and Wayne's dyed hair in the "She Don't Use Jelly" video. That song was a fun and quirky jam and really the only song I ever listened to on the album. Later in life, after becoming absolutely OBSESSED with The Soft Bulletin, I rediscovered this album and everything prior and realized that there was a ton more depth to their catalog and "mission" as a band if you can call it that. These dudes have had quite the journey. Early on they were art punk, then became this sort of quirky grunge pop, then later (likely triggered by the death of Ronald Jones) turned complete psych art pop. On the surface fairly different from one another, but now it seems to be pretty damn linear and cohesive. I am able to recognize the common thread that makes it all sound like the Flaming Lips even going way back to their old super weird shit.

But this album truly started it all for me, even if just a blip at the time. After rediscovery later in my musical evolution, pinpointed "Be My Head" as a total masterpiece and one of my favorite love songs of all time.

(Link to media)

(Link to media)

(Link to media)