The Great Music of Talkbeer - 1997

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by mattafett, Jun 13, 2018.

1. mattafett

mattafett

Each Wednesday (typically) we'll introduce a new year from 1958 through 2017. Each member selects an album released in that year with a few lines (or more) on why you picked it/enjoy it. Your selection does not have to be the most important release or the most admired release of that year (though it certainly can be), simply an album that grabs you and that you really love.

However, once an album is selected by a member, you must choose a different album.

Together we will compile quite the canon of "Great Music" and, who knows, maybe inspire each other to check out some new artists (or to revisit old forgotten classics).

This week - the albums of 1997

Honorable mentions begin on Monday

No placeholders. You must post the artist and title followed by the album cover. You may edit your post to include a write-up or videos.

Here is a list of the top albums per Rate Your Music, which is the source I will use to determine an albums release date.

https://rateyourmusic.com/customcha...=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=

2. mattafett

mattafett

Nathan & The Zydeco Cha-Chas - I'm a Zydeco Hog
    [​IMG]

A secret love of mine - Zydeco.

I don't know how I found these guys, but I'm glad I did. If you don't feel better after listening to these guys, there is something unstable about you and you should be locked up.

3. leftoverburrito

leftoverburrito

4. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

Hanson - Middle of Nowhere
    [​IMG]
    I am sure you are shocked by my choice.

I still listen to the songs on the album today, though I tend to prefer electric and acoustic performances from more recent performances, just because it is a more evolved sound. The songs themselves still hold tremendous meaning to me, and the original recordings are exceptionally well done, coming from such young performers. MMMBop is actually very similar to its original form. The Dust Brothers (from such more respected works as Beck’s Odelay and Beastie Boys’ Paul’s Boutique) had them speed it up a few BPM and added some scratches, but the version that captured the world is still very true to the original that three kids wrote. That being said, I didn’t even like the song the first several times I heard it. I wasn’t in to MMMBop when it was first released. I got hooked with Where’s the love. MordorMongo will at least appreciate that I found a way to love the song with the help of copious amounts of drugs when I heard the some immediately after having surgery. I don’t even know what the hospital gave me (other than the codeine I left with), but apparently the end result is I am hooked on Hanson.

I found their music at a difficult time in my life. In the fall of 1995 we had two deaths in the family within 2 weeks, and before the school year was over in the spring of 1996, my parents had sold the house and moved us to Michigan to be closer to our family. I was still adjusting to my new school and making new friends when my grandfather passed away New Years Day 1997. This album came out, written by teenagers my age, that dealt very honestly with broken friendships, death and feeling like you don’t have a place. I know, what album targeted at teenagers doesn’t, but for me and where I was at the time it spoke very close to what I was experiencing at the time.

In addition to the Dust Brothers, other tracks on the album feature contributions from other respected writers and producers, but not heavy handed, and not on every song.

They did work with some writers to write new material. If you can get past the young voices and listen to what else is there it’s rather well done, though I tend to prefer introducing people to their work through later albums. The songs are less well known but have more of my favorite songs on them.

I decided for this one to include the original video for Where’s the Love, the 10th Anniversary Acoustic performance, and a performance from 2017.

5. tosh

tosh

Got a few lined up for this year, but this is the stand out of that lot.

Seahorses - Do It Yourself
    [​IMG]

Likely picked this up at the time due to it being John Squire new band, but I still listen to it regularly, great little album for the time.

6. Der Fuchs

Der Fuchs

Second favorite album by an all time top 5 band for me.

If you can't get down to this then you need to reexamine your life.

7. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

Same on the runners up. It’s gonna be a good year. Cheers!

kevanb, capnmike, quirk6 and 4 others like this.
  8. mattafett

mattafett

For the most part I actually hate this year. :(

9. Phin

Phin

Life After Death - The Notorious B.I.G.

When it first came out, I didn't listen to it very much. I was still busy listening to mostly heavy metal & some punk rock. But these days, this album easily wins for me. Biggie was an incredible MC and an eerie album title in hindsight. This album has so many great songs...it is still incredbly sad that his family and music community lost him at such a young age.

Brez07, kevanb, LSUPT and 32 others like this.
  10. Kasher

Kasher

Another year with another album I played more times than I can remember. My favorite album from Blink 182. Dude Ranch

[​IMG]

While Dammit is probably the most well known song, the catchiest song, and the biggest "hit", Apple Shampoo is my jam.

Jonada, kevanb, LSUPT and 23 others like this.
  11. Der Fuchs

Der Fuchs

If you ever come to new Orleans holla. Rock n bowl is just a skip away from the house.

12. jimctin

jimctin

Faith no More - Album of the year

I really enjoyed this album. Patton really shows off his range on this one.

13. mattafett

mattafett

Ha!!

We are actually planning a two week driving vaca with the main destination NOLA for April maybe.

14. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Easy game.
    [​IMG]

My favorite Foo album and loaded with great hits. Windows rolled down jamming to this brings me right back home.

Lots of good music in 97.

15. wysiwyg

wysiwyg

I don’t know if Around the Fur is my favorite album of 1997 but it was the first one that came to mind. IMO a good follow up to Adrenaline. Still love these guys to this day.

16. axeman9182

axeman9182

Not a single album this year for me that I feel particularly compelled to write about. I've got one that is one of my least favorite releases from probably my favorite band, and it's got a couple stunning tracks, but probably not worth more than a post-Monday mention.

17. elkhunter36

elkhunter36

Same. I will sit this year out. Maybe something next week for an honorable mention.

18. steimie

steimie

[​IMG]

Old 97's--Too Far to Care

Desert island record for me. My favorite blend of rock and country, hands down. Rhett Miller knows his way around a hook and a melody. There's no song here I don't like, and many that I just love.

I still play this record at least once a week and probably will until I die. Pretty much as good as it gets for me.

"Niteclub" featuring one of their better sing along choruses and the always brilliant background vocals of Murray Hammond

"Four Leaf Clover" with Exene Cervenka. Feel free to turn it up nice and fucking loud.

God bless the Old 97's

19. coach

coach

Really tough year. I doubt I'll be completely happy with any pick because there are so many albums I love from 97. Got go with

Modest Mouse - Lonesome Crowded West
    [​IMG]

The first great Modest Mouse album. I'll have more to say about this, but wanted to get my pick in.

kevanb, MrDave, nodamagedone and 23 others like this.
  20. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Niiiiiiiice

kevanb, BrandoSF, Dcv and 4 others like this.