The Great Music of Talkbeer -2005

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by mattafett, Feb 12, 2019.

1. mattafett

mattafett

Each Monday (typically) we'll introduce a new year from 1958 through 2017. Each member selects an album released in that year with a few lines (or more) on why you picked it/enjoy it. Your selection does not have to be the most important release or the most admired release of that year (though it certainly can be), simply an album that grabs you and that you really love.

However, once an album is selected by a member, you must choose a different album.

Together we will compile quite the canon of "Great Music" and, who knows, maybe inspire each other to check out some new artists (or to revisit old forgotten classics).

This week - the albums of 2005

Honorable mentions begin on Friday

No placeholders. You must post the artist and title followed by the album cover. You may edit your post to include a write-up or videos.

Here is a list of the top albums per Rate Your Music, which is the source I will use to determine an albums release date.
    https://rateyourmusic.com/customcha...=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=

2. mattafett

mattafett

I have a bunch of stuff from this year. It ranges from WTF was I thinking, to pretty good. Nothing stellar here.

coach likes this.
  3. steimie

steimie Premium Athletic Supporter Contributor

The Hold Steady--Separation Sunday

[​IMG]

Right off the top, I'll say that the first few times I heard this record, I was wrong about it. My best friend, the guy I am closest to in terms of our musical tastes, told me that I needed to hear this record. So he burned a CD for me. I listened multiple times and hated it. I thought THS just sound like a bunch of Led Zep wannabes. And WTF is going on with that singer and the fucked up spoken word singing style?

Man, was I wrong. This is one of the great rock records of the last 20 years. Yeah, it helps that I'm a Minnesota boy and there's a whole lot of Minneapolis references here. But this fucking thing rocks like few records do anymore. Tad Kubler is a God when it comes to classic rock-ready riffs. Franz Nicolay's keys and backup vocals are essential to these songs. And Craig Finn can tell a story in four minutes as well as anyone in rock. We hear all about Holly and Charlemagne, the clever kids, cops with probes, salvation but also penetration park, drugs and the Mississippi River and the Thunderbird hotel.

This is the best Springsteen record I've ever heard. Probably a top 10 all-time record for me. There's nothing else like this record. It might not be for you when you first hear it, but if you like rock and roll, you'll figure it out.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    capnmike, Espeer, MooseLang and 16 others like this.
  4. boogercrack

boogercrack

<3 u

5. SAISON FUCK

SAISON FUCK

Damn.

6. tosh

tosh 99% of gargoyles look like Bob Todd Contributor

Saint Etienne - Tales form the Turnpike

[​IMG]

I only got this CD about 6 months ago, after I decided to re familiarise myself with all things Saint Etienne. Pretty much been in constant rotation since I got it. All the songs connect with each other and for whatever reason it just hits a bunch of high points for me. Sarah Cracknell's vocals rally are in a place that show her for the true talent she is.

So many great tunes, on this CD.

[​IMG]

capnmike, Der Fuchs, kbuzz and 8 others like this.
  7. Phin

Phin

Kanye West - Late Registration

I miss the Old Kanye, this album is really good. A happier, less crazy Kanye. There are a few guest appearances & they are great. Samples of Curtis Mayfield & Ray Charles. :)

[​IMG]

KevSal, capnmike, blckout20 and 12 others like this.
  8. SAISON FUCK

SAISON FUCK

Sleater Kinney - The Woods
    [​IMG]

So heavy. I love all Sleater Kinney phases, but this really hit the mark for me when I was listening to a lot of noise in 2005.

(Link to media)

(Link to media)

(Link to media)

I can't believe that Separation Sunday is in the 140s on RYM to be honest.

Stubs, capnmike, Der Fuchs and 14 others like this.
  9. coach

coach

I mostly agree. There were a lot of good albums in 2005. But now, 14 years on (jesus), a lot of them sound 2005-ey. Luckily not all though.

I could pick a couple from this year, but I'm going with LCD Soundsystem's debut.

[​IMG]

James Murphy wears his influences (Can, The Fall, Bowie, Daft Punk) on his sleeve, but manages to create sound that's still unique and interesting. This album definitely doesn't sound its age like a lot of my favorite stuff from 2005.

One of my favorite bands since the turn of the century.

Stubs, LSUPT, capnmike and 17 others like this.
  10. Stubs

Stubs

Nice!

steimie likes this.
  11. steimie

steimie Premium Athletic Supporter Contributor

I ran out of time to edit this, so here's the rest:

I can't really say much more about this record and what it means to me. I'm sort of over The Hold Steady at this point, as I didn't really get into most of their other records, but I'll never get over this record.

12. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

I was about to pass until HMs because I didn't think I had anything from 2005 that I knew more than singles from that was worth mentioning, but this is actually my favorite White Stripes album, so I'll happy post up get Behind Me Satan.
    [​IMG]
    Being from Detroit, the White Stripes are kind of like a more modern Bob Seger in that their music is somewhat ubiquitous in that it is playing in the background everywhere. I could name a hundred and none times I have been just hanging out and these songs have been playing in the background, including one four hour trip to Schramm's wherein I sat there hanging out with the staff drinking Nutmeg, sharing pumpkin bars and listening to the White Stripes.

Slipping this version in because I love it extra:

Stubs, KevSal, exitmusic00 and 18 others like this.
  13. flexabull

flexabull

One of my favorites albums of the 2000’s.

Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise

[​IMG]

Songs are stories that are fun, heartfelt, sad, or all of the above. Some tracks have full orchestras and backing choirs, other are more simple with Sufjans vocals and an instrument or two.

14. Stubs

Stubs

I saw these guys like 5 times touring for this record. I don't love Opeth like some folks do but I looooove this record cause it reminds me of so much drunken fun and they are such a blast live.

"Hi, ve are Opeth and ve are from Sweden."

My favorite thing he said at a show.
    "You see this man playing bass here. Well, he is a Spanaird so, you know he's a Spaniard...

He head bangs from side to side, not up and down. It's quite odd when he does this.

This next song is in the 4/4 so it is easy to headbang to correctly. So you all need to be headbanging or you are all HOMIES (actual c word).

KevSal, wysiwyg, Arbitrator and 14 others like this.
  15. Stubs

Stubs

So fucking good. Super techy, mathy, gigantic orchestrated indie folk?

16. flexabull

flexabull

I just scrolled through the list of albums for this year and it’s loaded.

blckout20, sliverx and Brez07 like this.
  17. flexabull

flexabull

[​IMG]

Stubs, capnmike, blckout20 and 7 others like this.
  18. Brez07

Brez07

Agreed and I'm nowhere near the music buff most of you are.

Had 3-4 I considered, but going with the album I definitely played the most.

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
    [​IMG]

LSUPT, capnmike, MooseLang and 15 others like this.
  19. Stubs

Stubs

I forgot the best song on the record. We used to always play this song at dive bars that had those download a song for an extra buck and it'll play first deal. Cause it's so long and so awesome.

20. PHBoiler

PHBoiler

[​IMG]

One of the three or four albums from 2005 that got a lot of run on the old iPod.

capnmike, mborden, litheum94 and 6 others like this.