The Great Music of Talkbeer - 2007

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by mattafett, Nov 28, 2018.

1. mattafett

mattafett

Each Wednesday (typically) we'll introduce a new year from 1958 through 2017. Each member selects an album released in that year with a few lines (or more) on why you picked it/enjoy it. Your selection does not have to be the most important release or the most admired release of that year (though it certainly can be), simply an album that grabs you and that you really love.

However, once an album is selected by a member, you must choose a different album.

Together we will compile quite the canon of "Great Music" and, who knows, maybe inspire each other to check out some new artists (or to revisit old forgotten classics).

This week - the albums of 2007
    Honorable mentions begin on Monday

No placeholders. You must post the artist and title followed by the album cover. You may edit your post to include a write-up or videos.

Here is a list of the top albums per Rate Your Music, which is the source I will use to determine an albums release date.
    https://rateyourmusic.com/customcha...=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=

Dcv, Der Fuchs, jammery and 1 other person like this.
  2. mattafett

mattafett

Strange year. I own 137 releases from this year, but nothing really stellar.

3. thebandit1

thebandit1

[​IMG]

Wilco - Sky Blue Sky

Just a wonderful collection of fantastic, mature songs. Not my favorite Wilco album but one that I may listen to most.

4. MrVonzipper

MrVonzipper

Sophomore album from my favorite Ska band of all time. Formerly Catch 22, these guys got so much better and even tighter when the core of the band started Street Light Manifesto. Super talented guys. Great intros, speed and tightness!

Streetlight Manifesto: Somewhere day in the Between

(Link to media)

(Link to media)

(Link to media)

(Link to media)

quirk6, blckout20, Dcv and 8 others like this.
  5. thebandit1

thebandit1

Shit. Just realized I missed one of my all-time favorite albums.

Should have looked at soundtracks.

Fingolfin

6. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Don't want to steal ilovestouts' pick for this year so going with Bon Iver

[​IMG]

I'm just a melancholy at heart so this album is great all around. Seems fitting it is also snowing tonight

7. SAISON FUCK

SAISON FUCK

A real Sophie's Choice situation.

[​IMG]

I didn't love this off the bat, but it is a grower. I listen to this all of the time still and enjoy all of their albums. Subtle and glitchy and catchy as fuck when you get into it.

(Link to media)

Even better live with drums and bass.

(Link to media)

Just listen to the whole thing.

(Link to media)

exitmusic00, Dcv, DerGundhof and 9 others like this.
  8. sliverx

sliverx

Eddie Vedder - Into the Wild (soundtrack)

Out of the 4 albums I rate highly from this year this has to be the most likely to be played by me. Pretty sure Ed was screened the film and then wrote the album for it if I remember right. It just fits so well and definitely stuck with me.

blckout20, exitmusic00, Dcv and 10 others like this.
  9. ilovestouts

ilovestouts

Thanks bud.

[​IMG]
    The last Avett Brother’s album that was not Rick Rubin’ized. This album was the soundtrack to my life for a few years as many of the lyrics spoke to me and where I was in life at that time.

One of my favorite albums of the 21st century.

(Link to media)

10. flexabull

flexabull

Explosions in the Sky - All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone

[​IMG]

I prefer the two albums they put out prior to this, but the opening track “Birth and Death of the Day” is one of the most amazing live songs I’ve ever heard.

11. litheum94

litheum94

upload_2018-11-28_18-10-8.jpeg

Lots of decent to good albums this year, but only two really stood out to me as potential number 1s. Going with Against Me! New Wave.

There's some songs on here that are very "meh," but it contains a song that I never tire of hearing, and one of my favorite final songs on an album ever (The Ocean, wherein the singer publicly admits he has been dealing with gender identity issues, and no one noticed it lol).

quirk6, Dcv, DerGundhof and 8 others like this.
  12. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Here here

13. Pierre Pressure

Pierre Pressure

Pretty easy for me:
    [​IMG]

So I won't lie, I have a ton of bias from '04 until...let's say 10 later since I was friends with a ton of local bands and actively doing things with them. At this point I had known these guys for a few years...by this point we had worked together on a couple one-off shows and I was almost their de facto videographer. In '06 they embarked on their first mini-tour and I was maxed out on vacation and my friend was in between engineering contracts so we thought it would be funny to drive from Boston to Detroit to see their first show...then Chicago...then...Madison I think? I don't know, it was a two week tour and my friend and I just drove and slept in the car, so my memories are fuzzy.

Anyway, after returning from that tour they started work on a new album. Their normal drummer was unavailable for this album (if I had to guess, this was when he was working on some form of degree at MIT) so they had Brian Viglione (Dresden Dolls, Violent Femmes, etc) sit in on drums for the album and supporting tour. The album itself was recorded over the course of a few days at Hi-N-Dry the studio space created by the late Mark Sandman of Morphine and I ended up going in after work for a few days to shoot behind the scenes stuff for them. So even though I haven't listened to this album in quite some time (sadly, it doesn't exist on vinyl) and without looking through the list of releases from this year I am fairly confident that this is the album that has the most personal meaning for me.

If this album were big enough to have had singles, this would have been one of them.

This is a take of Brian laying down the drums for that previous track. I do not recall how many times this was done or if this was the actual one used on the final recording, but if not it was certainly good enough to have been. This was one of the highlights of filming, though I'm a sucker for expressive drummers.

Fun fact: The first time I was introduced to anyone from this band was after a show at this artist run underground DIY venue and someone brought me to the kitchen and that is where I met Holly, the singer. Apparently after their set ended she decided to go into the kitchen of this place and just start cleaning up. That's good people right there.

This likely would have been the other single, were that a thing for this album.

Dcv, DerGundhof, Der Fuchs and 5 others like this.
  14. thebandit1

thebandit1

Damn. And there it is.

15. Stubs

Stubs

Ill just pick In Rainbows again since it somehow came out twice.

It is my personal favorite Radiohead album.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    blckout20, exitmusic00, Dcv and 10 others like this.
  16. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

Get ready to be surprised...

Hanson - The Walk (you weren't surprised even a little)
    [​IMG]
    I really dislike the title track for this album. It is boring as shit. But in general this album is a case study in why I think Zac is the best and worst Hanson (in terms of songwriting/performing and I guess fan trolling, too). The title track is a slow drag in which Zac says "everyone waits on the walk" which I assume is death, or purgatory - the first single on the album was released to launch and promote their charity which raises money for a few causes in Africa including mother to cild HIV transmission and digging clean water wells. They were some of the first celebrities to travel to Africa with Blake Mycoskie on a shoe drop when TOMS shoes first launched, and they did a Hanson shoe almost a full year before U2 (yes, I have a pair, two even). But this is going way off track, and these aren't even the songs I wanted to talk about other than to say that they went through a phase where they sang about death, and dead children a lot. There was an EP right after this album that contains some more stuff that didn't make the album.

Now for the stuff that is on there that makes it special - without being a concept album, it had a whole feel that at the time felt different. It was the first album put out where the project was independent from start to finish. They owned all of the material and the process from start to finish. And while Zac has had writing credits on their previous albums, this is the album where he really started to put out some fantastic tunes. Below are the songs I have selected to highlight. Note that some are bonus tracks only released on the Japanese version of the album.

I was going to slip a Taylor song in there, but these are all jams. EDIT: I had to cut one of the great Zac leads because there was one too many, even before the one I said I didn't like. He has ballads I do like. It's not because it's slow.

Dcv, DerGundhof, Padraig and 4 others like this.
  17. coach

coach

LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver

[​IMG]

An absolute dance-rock banger that kind of defines the mid-late 2000s in my book. The best album from a band that only releases great albums. The "Someone Great" > "All My Friends" combo is one of the best one-two punches on any album. Fite me.

ncaudle, exitmusic00, LSUPT and 19 others like this.
  18. sliverx

sliverx

Checked out the first and last videos, I'm going to have to check out more of this.

19. kbuzz

kbuzz

Had a whole thing written up about a completely different album and then remembered this and there's no way this isn't my pick for 2007...so I need to stop looking.

Battles - Mirrored
    [​IMG]

Completely changed the game. Period. I could go on and on about so much about this album, but I'm pretty sure most of you already know what's up here.

(Link to media)

(Link to media)

(Link to media)

(Link to media)

sostark, Nivek43, Dcv and 15 others like this.
  20. lazerviking

lazerviking

Excellent pick. This was my runner-up for sure. This was one of those records that didn't leave my turntable for a week after the first time I played it. I like it just as much now as I did at its release. Overall this is a pretty loaded year for me with this record near the very top.

Dcv, DerGundhof, mattafett and 3 others like this.