The Great Music of Talkbeer - 2012

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by mattafett, Apr 15, 2019 at 8:50 PM.

1. mattafett

mattafett

Each Monday (typically) we'll introduce a new year from 1958 through 2017. Each member selects an album released in that year with a few lines (or more) on why you picked it/enjoy it. Your selection does not have to be the most important release or the most admired release of that year (though it certainly can be), simply an album that grabs you and that you really love.

However, once an album is selected by a member, you must choose a different album.

Together we will compile quite the canon of "Great Music" and, who knows, maybe inspire each other to check out some new artists (or to revisit old forgotten classics).

This week - the albums of 2012

Honorable mentions begin on Friday

No placeholders. You must post the artist and title followed by the album cover. You may edit your post to include a write-up or videos.

Here is a list of the top albums per Rate Your Music, which is the source I will use to determine an albums release date.

nodamagedone, flexabull and Brez07 like this.
  2. tosh

tosh 99% of gargoyles look like Bob Todd Contributor

Ian Hunter and the Rant Band
    E7727B08-6B6C-4B44-B873-CF63EFBEB730.jpeg

nodamagedone, Padraig, kbuzz and 4 others like this.
  3. coach

coach

Looking over my playlist from 2012, I don't see a lot that sticks out. Lots of good/great tracks, but not a lot of great full albums that I still go back to. Here's one though...

Japandroids - Celebration Rock

[​IMG]

Fast, loud, emotional, and yes, celebratory. A great follow-up to their excellent debut.

4. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

No list for the year?

5. Padraig

Padraig

Grimes - Visions

Technically about the least competent live act I've ever seen but still lots of fun.

[​IMG]

6. lazerviking

lazerviking

By far my most played album of the last 10 years: Frank Ocean, Channel Orange. This album is a masterpiece from back to front. I think it perfectly encapsulates the millennial experience. It's one of those debuts that you can never really follow up. Blonde is an amazing album but it doesn't come close to the greatness that is channel orange.
    [​IMG]

7. PHBoiler

PHBoiler

[​IMG]
    Gentlemen of the Road Tour in Dixon, IL was one of the cooler concert experiences I have had. Such a unique type of show. Great gathering of folks from all over the Midwest. This was the album released during that tour. Last big festival type concert before we started having kids.

8. flexabull

flexabull

Alt J - An Awesome Wave

[​IMG]

Not a ton of stuff from 2012 that I still listen to, this album, however, is one that really stands out and gets plenty of play.

9. TripleSixHoppia

TripleSixHoppia

So many good rap albums in 2012.

Cruel Summer

[​IMG]

nodamagedone, Padraig, tosh and 3 others like this.
  10. lazerviking

lazerviking

Still can't believe Kendrick is on the board. If that album came out in any other year I'd have been all over it.

mattafett, thebandit1 and MordorMongo like this.
  11. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

12. lazerviking

lazerviking

Can't believe I missed it ;)

thebandit1 and MordorMongo like this.
  13. Der Fuchs

Der Fuchs

Spiritualized
    Sweet Heart Sweet Light

one of 2 albums i looked forward to this year. not their best, but there is some stand out stuff here in the scheme of things.

(Link to media)

(Link to media)

a great song about the love for family and search for forgiveness both written and sang with his 11yo daughter

(Link to media)

one of the best music videos ever made

(Link to media)

14. beerandraiderfan

beerandraiderfan

Shit, easily a half dozen albums I could pick. Bro country, old country, new country, old hip hop dudes, southern rock. . .

The best of 2012 is My Dick. Shit just makes me laugh.

Baker Dick is my fave. The Way My Dick Is, also great stuff. Love that line:
    "My dick passed a law in '64, to give my dick, just a little more, My dick only goes so far (pretty far actually)."

(Link to media)

(Link to media)

15. kbuzz

kbuzz

This might be the first year of this decade that I'm having trouble finding a "great" album. My wife was super pregnant and eventually gave birth to our first in 2012, so I'm guessing I was a little distracted...

But I did manage to grab this album that year and it might be my third favorite from him so that's something...plus it has the first song that ever tugged at my parental (and dog owner) heartstrings.

Aesop Rock - Skelethon
    [​IMG]

The song I mentioned above is Ruby '81. Not sure if this is a true story or what the significance is of the name/year if there even is any...but this song is basically about a Fourth of July party, where a toddler gets free from her high chair(?) during the fireworks display so no one hears or notices her. She ends up falling into the pool, at which time the fucking dog sees this and rescues her. The way the track escalates as Aesop is telling the story raises my heart rate every time and by the end, I'm literally hyperventilating. Such a simple song, but it's so gripping.

Just listened to it again and my eyes are filled with some sort of liquid. What happening?

(Link to media)

My other faves:

(Link to media)

(Link to media)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 1:28 PM
  16. MrVonzipper

MrVonzipper

Another fucking amazing album by my favorite band. They sort of transitioned in the studio on this album imo. Lost a little grit and tightened up on clarity and production. I think it really pays off because the next two albums that follow are even better.

Murder by Death: Bitter Drink, Bitter Moon

(Link to media)

(Link to media)

(Link to media)

(Link to media)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 1:32 PM
  17. nodamagedone

nodamagedone

Flying Lotus: Until the Quiet Comes

[​IMG]

Favorite album by my favorite artist.

mattafett, kbuzz, coach and 3 others like this.
  18. McMatt7

McMatt7

The Districts-Telephone

Saw these kids for free right around the time this album came out. Went in blind and was rocked unconscious. They were for real like 19 years old at the time. Best set i saw at forecastle in 2014, saw em open for Doctor Dog a few times too, not sure what they're up to these days but i jam on this album regularly. Still gotta sit down when i listen to Funeral Beds.

[​IMG]

(Link to media)

(Link to media)

19. thebandit1

thebandit1

Would have been my pick as well. Front to back, one of the better albums of the last twenty years.

MordorMongo and lazerviking like this.
  20. Jacco Macacco

Jacco Macacco

Pig Destroyer - Book Burner

[​IMG]

Not considered their best, but I dig it nonetheless and it came out in 2012.

Enjoy this video of the drummer paying the bills, in lieu of an actual track from the album:

(Link to media)