The Karma Gif... closes on Sunday

Discussion in 'Beer-It-Forward' started by biglobo8971, Sep 20, 2018.

1. biglobo8971

biglobo8971

those that know me as a Mn'oan, might not know that I have relocated to GA. That being said, a lot has happened recently. Surgery, divorce, etc. So I am flushing the toilet. I am offering a box of GA based beer, some limited, some just tasty stuff. To win this box, you must nominate 1 other Talkberrian. Tell a story, tell a tale, just give his / her name, I dont care. The names that are entered will be put in a hat to be drawn Monday am. Nominations are over at 1700 EST on Sunday the 23rd. Animated GIF's or Memes are appreciated.
    cheers!!

2. KevSal

KevSal

sup lobo lon time no see! sorry to hear about the troubles. i know you’ve been through a lot even before that.

name a tber? that would be a loooong list

one that comes to mind tho, Compton25 knows i’m a fan of a little know beer called OMJ, when they had a cellar sale he reached out and swooped up a bunch of their brews.

oh BigFrank has done me solid more than a few times when i’ve reaches out to him, tells me he’ll check it out and low and behold a box shows up! plus his threads i fun to follow. i still need to have a beer with him ip

Arbitrator is probably the person on here i’ve known the longest. i’ve actually tried some of the craziest lambic because of him and CheapBeerBuzz

AndresR is probably one of the most chill guys i know, puts together some awesome tasting. he’s another guy who selfless shares some crazy good beers at shares

list goes on and on

3. biglobo8971

biglobo8971

One, jus pick one. Good to see ya

4. Compton25

Compton25

Appreciate the tag KevSal, please don’t enter me in the drawing though. biglobo8971 crushed me in one of the first BIFs I participated in on BA back in 2013.

Still got the swag buddy!

[​IMG]

5. mborden

mborden

Sorry to hear you've taken some hits as of late biglobo8971. I hope the pendulum is on the upswing for you soon.

Many moons ago jakeox hooked me up with a Beer Hates Astronauts bomber from Half Acre so I could share it with my friend. Why? Because my friend and I are both huge God Hates Astronauts and Ryan Browne fans, and I wanted to surprise my friend with the beer he sent me an IG photo of from Ryan Browne's feed. I was looking to trade for it, but Jake wouldn't even let me C&S. He just sent me the damn bottle and wouldn't accept any beer in return. I didn't have much to offer him from Upstate NY that he couldn't get in the windy city, and now that I'm in Portland I'd love to hit him back but is it true what I've heard? Is he done-zo with TB?

If the rumors that I recently read are true, my backup nomination is abawol01. About a year ago my wife and I relocated to Portland without knowing anybody here, and without the built-in opportunity to meet new people through coworkers since I telecommute for a company back east. As we were packing up to drive across country I casually posted in the Portland thread that I would be soon be among them. Before I even landed, Andy was blowing up my profile and offering to buy me my first beer when I got to down. Since then he hasn't slowed down. Him and his wife Meredith have introduced my wife and I to a bunch of their favorite PDX spots for food, booze, disc golf, and other shenanigans. They've invited my wife and I into their home and introduced me to a bunch of other PNW folks who are pretty swell. I can say with 1000% confidence that if Andy hadn't been such a great friend and ambassador for the city, our arrival would have been much less seamless.

HOWEVER, he's basically BFFs with Armand now (in case you hadn't heard), so if Jake is still kicking around he's totally my first choice.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    steimie, libbey, mateoloco and 14 others like this.
  6. Locker338

Locker338

For me it’s KevinC

I lurked here for a LONG time and then finally jumped in one day. KevinC was really the 1st person I “met” here and he has helped me out too many times to count. A generous soul. Even stupid questions I had he answered.

And... come to think of it... I need to get a little something over to him soon ;)

7. BigFrank

BigFrank

Thanks for the tag KevSal. I have been drinking to excess with Drmoonman for almost twenty years. For a period of time we were the old school characters in a real fraternity. Back then we slammed Asahi or whatever cheap crap we could find in Westwood.
    [​IMG]

Hope things change for the better biglobo8971!

8. BrandoSF

BrandoSF

I gotta shout out capnmike
    He was my 1st trade on here, & he gave me a warm welcome. Since then he’s sent me a box of beer as a wedding gift & ive seen him do several other acts of general kindness around the site. Plenty of great folks here, but Mike stands out to me. Cheers!

9. biglobo8971

biglobo8971

thank you all for the well wishes. This by no means is a pity party. Things are going great. Life is better, birds are singing sweeter songs, sun is shining brighter, all that happy horse shit. This is not about me, its about who you want to lift up.

10. capnmike

capnmike

Thanks for the tag, BrandoSF and thanks for the Karma Gif BIF biglobo8971

[​IMG]

I honestly can't pick just one (that's what makes this site so great, right?), so please replace my entry in the BIF with one of these guys.

In a general TB sense, I would nominate tosh. I learned how to TB from watching tosh. Participating in (almost?) every thread (liking most posts), willing to talk about any range of subjects under the sun, sending out random HUGE boxes of awesome beer (Fieldwork crowlers and shelfie Hommage or was it Framboos come to mind - ridiculous things that command huge trade values elsewhere - just sent out randomly), a participant in most BIFs and dependable to keep threads going, keep likes flowing, and sending a great BIF box from locals to lambic. The way he and other regulars took care of everyone and the site made me want to break through any perceived clique/club status and become part of the gang that was hanging out here. Inb4 "hope you make it through someday."

In a "specifically gone above and beyond for me personally" sense, I would nominate jtmartino. He was my sender in the first SSF and we've had many more exchanges and met in person a few times since then. I believe his motto for exchanging beers is like that line from the Untouchables - "they put one of our (porches) in the hospital, we put one of their (porches) in the morgue." If I send a 6-shipper with a fairly easy want or two, I'm liable to get back a 12-shipper of whales. I'd be scared to try to one-up him and send an 18-shipper next time, because my marriage probably wouldn't be able to stand the return fire. The last time he came to Chicago for work, he said he threw some stuff in the suitcase for me - Veritas, Serpent Stout, 3 SARA membership bottles, Black Agnes, Upright Ives and a Fieldwork bottle - that's like 3x MAW grants right there. I'm always looking forward to the next time we can meet again, or when I can set aside something he might like.

Anyway, great time to do this BIF, given the ups and downs of the site and the community lately. Side shout-out to iong516 for C+S FO for a couple folks here (including me) in the past weeks - there's a huge portion of the "trade value" thread in another place discussing what it takes to get FO and what you might get for it - but here's it's just TB business as usual, reminds me of "the good old days" (yes, i realize I'm a TB n00b).

11. BadJustin

BadJustin Moderator Staff Member

Keep your beer biglobo8971. My first LIF winnings, after learning what the fuck one was back in 13. It was hosted by Photekut. (RIP). JR, despite his abrasive attitude in the trade forums, was and still is a genuinely great guy. We still chat occasionally, he is doing well to all those that have wondered. :)

Anyways, that prompted me to take a plunge into the generous side of this community. As anyone who knows me personally will attest, if I have it and you're ISO, with very few exceptions, it's just beer, if you want it, have it please, it's my pleasure.

12. mborden

mborden

It's true. I was just looking through my inbox and our first IRL interaction was you pickitformebro'ing some BCBS and BCBBW from Marcy. Then we met up in Caz at that divey bar for the exchange and I don't think you would accept anything from me, if I recall.

[​IMG]

13. BadJustin

BadJustin Moderator Staff Member

Nope, told ya get fucked. We met at that shitty bar with an awful beer selection that is no more. :)

14. BeersMorgan

BeersMorgan

I nominate Mindtrip2012 for sending me some Green Bastard just because I'm a TPB fan. Even threw in some extras on a favor box. Too generous. I've been a jerk and haven't sent a ty box yet but he deserves a nod. Thanks again Jon!

[​IMG]

15. iong516

iong516

Thanks for the tag capnmike

I'm still working on paying it forward for generosity I've received from TBers.

Started with facesnorth sending me an assortment of 9 Hill shelf saisons pictured in my avatar after we met at Jackie O's and I lamented that my first trip was cash only, growler only, and I ended up with only pale ales and was fiending to try their saisons. I wasn't on Talkbeer yet at the time, then when I joined he recognized me and gave me feedback for the return box.

mctizzz quietly, hugely hooked me up when I dared to joke about Cellarman 'turding it up' on the shelf, which ruffled a lot of SARA traders feathers who were likely adjusting to increasing bottle counts and declining trade values... anyway, he sent me 9 Cellarman for C&S which were spread around to friends and consumed rapidly. Hope to meet him someday now that I'm living closer to SARA.

Compton25 has already turned down nominations, but I have to thank him for Tilquin pickitups when Philly was dry and his local was flush.

omgeezo for fucking up my tastebuds bringing a Stenciled Pages extra to a share when I was hoping to tick my first East Bank side by side with Anna and Biere de Miel I brought... fuck that beer was perfect.

Phin, mateoloco, Gonzoillini and 11 others like this.
  16. mborden

mborden

Lol everybody tagging multiples.

[​IMG]

17. BigFrank

BigFrank

BadJustin got a waterslide? That guy has everything.

18. facesnorth

facesnorth

While he is not active any more to my knowledge, I've gotta take it back to GrumpyOldTroll who IMO played a key role in making bt/tb what it became in mid- late 13, with a series of amazing BIFs that stimulated and energized the entire community, and who's generosity has inspired me throughout my beer career.

19. fbslim20

fbslim20

I only jumped into this morass called TB this year, and a number of people already nominated helped me get up and running with shitposts. My nomination is for jvanaus who who ninja dropped an amazing box of dark adjuncts, which were much needed after we added to our family.

20. sjstraub

sjstraub

My first thought would be tosh since he sponsored me in the noob bif without batting an eye. I was, and still am, extremely grateful for that.

However, he has already been nominated, so I’m going to go with MattyATC . Dude destroyed me in my first BIF ever. Then he stepped up again and sponsored me for secret Santa. An awesome TB member.