US - Great Lakes The Metro Detroit Thread

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by Michigan, Jul 14, 2014.

1. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

They are all over FB.

Also here is my hot take on the "cherry" KRE in response to a question as to whether I actually talked to an employee about it:
    I had so much hope after they pulled off a really successful anniversary party and the last two releases have been the complete opposite of that. There's too much other good stuff in the area.

2. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

I actually had a great time at Kuhnhenn Warren. Other than meeting Krampus, probably the highlight of the weekend.

Gonzoillini likes this.
  3. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

I had fun hanging out. The other pours, except the super old stout everyone told me not to bother with were fine, Heck, I would go so far as to say the firkin was an excellent pumpkin beer.

lurchingbeast and Gonzoillini like this.
  4. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

Yes, I know I just used the word "excellent" to describe a pumpkin beer.

lurchingbeast likes this.
  5. DigDug1810

DigDug1810

I'm looking for the "other good stuff in the area"

Please give me some options to suggest to my cousin so he can pick me up some good stuff.

Thanks

6. Jb123

Jb123

Seems like the other good stuff you are looking for really comes out on special releases that involve neck beards and horrible beer conversations and lines. We have lots of great beer around us but I'm thinking you already have access to it? Just have him grab you some schramms, shorts releases and kinda be done with the pursuit of anything else.

7. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini

Had a great time hanging out in Ferndale / Warren this weekend, and was pleasantly surprised at how good of a time I had at Kuhnhenn Warren on Saturday evening.

[​IMG]

When our group first arrived we had no idea that these taps were on and drank Far Too Many Schillings and others until someone went to the bathroom and realized all this stuff was on draft as well (and I was feeling like a dick as I convinced our group to head out here based on the FB page, and when I didn't see the stuff on tap I was feeling a bit sheepish).

Like trickytunadicky said the KRE (or KCE) was off compared to every other version I've had before, and I was glad to try her pour and not buy one myself (which was sad). I enjoyed the BBBW 2014, but it wasn't quite as good as previous vintages to be sure. That didn't stop me from having at least 3 of them though...

The most interesting beer of the evening was Tenacious Cassis to me as it was a huge split based on trying it warm / cold and after having gotten over the initial slightly medicinal taste. Warmed up into a really tasty fruit heavy strong ale that reminded me of some of the great stuff from Kuhnhenn in the past.

Couldn't believe how empty the place was from 6-8:30 with that tap list.

lurchingbeast likes this.
  8. rjose

rjose

Was it you that they contacted directly?

9. rjose

rjose

OK, it's not posting for me

Gonzoillini likes this.
  10. wuntrikpony

wuntrikpony

Any special events or great taplists this weekend in the Detroit area? Gracias

11. FEUO

FEUO

My dad will be pouring the entire Sam Adams holiday pack after Christmas dinner. That work for you?

12. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

No. But he was sitting about a table over from us at the event.

Gonzoillini and GRDave like this.
  13. wuntrikpony

wuntrikpony

Can I come over?

landrewg, GRDave and trickytunadicky like this.
  14. cneville

cneville

My father and law split the 12 pack every year and it's legit one of my favorite traditions

landrewg and GRDave like this.
  15. steimie

steimie

Looks like Transient is turning into a guaranteed long line every week. People know both 8 Degrees locations are getting some distro, right?

thebandit1 and GRDave like this.
  16. FEUO

FEUO

Opinions on RedSmoke?

17. Jas45678

Jas45678

Is that the one in Greektown? I thought it was just OK, but it has been awhile.

FEUO likes this.
  18. FEUO

FEUO

Ya.
    Reviews are ok and I think Slows is a bit overrated. I guess we'all see.

19. steimie

steimie

Slows may be a little overrated, but it's still probably better than Red Smoke, and has a better tap list.

And it's not in Godawful Greektown.

Jb123, FEUO, thebandit1 and 2 others like this.
  20. FEUO

FEUO

True.
    I see Slows has reservations. Nothing around the time we need to go. Need to turn it around relatively quick as we're off to the Pistons game afterwards.

cneville likes this.